Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
mbarrus
Michael

66lb halibut jaw mount

Just got back from working at a lodge in Haida Gwaii and brought back a pair of jaws I cut off of a 66lb halibut that ended up in our fish pit. It was 1cm under our legal upper limit, so you wont find a bigger pair of jaws in BC. Just boiled em to get the flesh off, then scrubbed with a bristle brush, soaked in hydrogen peroxide, and glued em all back together.

I'm now keen to do a big buckethead ling, but I might have to wait till next season to find the appropriate specimen. Kicking myself for tossing the head of the 40lber I got up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	235124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1078.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	235125  
mbarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Re: 66lb halibut jaw mount

Real cool!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
Darmes
Dan

That's awesome!
I've thought about trying to do this. How much of a jigsaw puzzle was it to get everything back together?
@the_oregon_freedive_co
oregonfreediving.com
freediveoregon@gmail.com
Darmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
juanacity
John

Nice job! Please share any more mounts you do.

I'm definitely interested to see any ling mounts. I'd like to do one of those. Their jaws seem pretty delicate, though I've never gotten one near 40lbs.
juanacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
SEATUX

I shot a large cuda ( and yes, I ate it) then cut out the jaw and boiled it in bleach water, and assembled with hot glue gun ( amazingly, not too much assembly!)..Gave it to one of three nephews...then the shit started...so I had to go out and shoot two more cudas!

They are IMPRESSIVE !
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
mbarrus
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmes View Post
That's awesome!
I've thought about trying to do this. How much of a jigsaw puzzle was it to get everything back together?
Super simple for this one. I basically cut all the soft tissue around the jaw, and only had to saw through a bone above the center of the top lip. It left me with eight bones. One set (2 mirror-image bones) on top and bottom with teeth, and one set on top and bottom that supported the bones with teeth. I can post more pictures if you need em.

Gluing wasnt trivial, but it wasnt hard either. In the future, I will do what other people suggest and push the teeth into a piece of paper while the jaws are still intact so that they leave an imprint of how the mouth fit together in life. One print for the top, one print for the bottom. I think my angles are more or less right, but I'd like the reassurance of that print if I was to do it again.

I used gorilla blue top super glue, which dried pretty fast. Just glued the joints, held em together at the right angle for a few minutes, then set them down carefully in front of a fan once they were somewhat stable. To glue the top jaw to the bottom one, I propped it into position using a paint stirrer between the teeth.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
mbarrus
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanacity View Post

I'm definitely interested to see any ling mounts. I'd like to do one of those. Their jaws seem pretty delicate, though I've never gotten one near 40lbs.
Yeah, Im not sure how that will work. They're quite a bit more narrow than these big hali chompers. I sent these photos to a buddy who is still working in the fish pit up there and he was so inspired that he messaged me to say he had cut the jaws of a big ling and was going to try himself. I'll update the thread with photos if he sends them to me.

It's amazing the sort of fish you can pull up when you're fishing undisturbed waters in the middle of nowhere. My big one actually came when we were mooching cut-plugs for chinook about ten feet under the surface in maybe 80 feet of water. I was really surprised to see one free-swimming like that, but I caught a few more small ones that were 50-100 feet off of the bottom.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
mbarrus
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I shot a large cuda ( and yes, I ate it) then cut out the jaw and boiled it in bleach water, and assembled with hot glue gun ( amazingly, not too much assembly!)..Gave it to one of three nephews...then the shit started...so I had to go out and shoot two more cudas!

They are IMPRESSIVE !
That's awesome. I saw a few of those when I was looking around on the internet and was wishing we had cuda around here so I could try a jaw mount with those big teeth.

Did they hold up fine? I was going to use bleach but some people said it could cause the bones to get chalky and fall apart eventually.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
mbarrus
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanacity View Post

I'm also thinking I'll try to do a big pair of chum jaws if I can find an appropriate (dead) specimen on the banks up here come November. Those are pretty crazy.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
Navanax
Ken

This is terrific. I think ling jaws will hold up just fine. I have found several from lings dead on the bottom and they hold together well. A new quest!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

Several years ago I did a Whitetail Buck using Rid-x. Dropped the entire head (I mean the whole thing hair and all) into a 5 gallon bucket.1/2 filled with water, added a box of rid-x septic treatment (dry kind) and filled to brim with water. Weighted it down with big rock. Covered (to keep the lab out) and weighted the cover with two cinder blocks. Once a week I'd hold my breath, uncover and top off water. Recover and continued for 5 weeks. The skull and antlers were removed and hosed off. Every single speck was gone--even in the sinus cavities. Jaws had come off and dropped to the bottom. In the bucket was a dark mustard colored slurry that was liquid death scent. Hosed that into the yard real well to keep Lab from rolling in it. My goodness that spot got green a week later! Bucket was used for trash and bagged because odor would not come out--even when chloroxed. Soaked jaws in Pine sol solution for two days to get odor out. Skull was clean but not bright--after hosing and airing no odor! Next step would be to peroxide or whitewash it. Don't know how this would work on fish but worth a try on a non-trophy as an experiment. Good luck!