Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
apeogre

Re: Roller Spearguns - whats the fuss about?

There are definitely times in bad vis where I'd like to have a shorter gun with at least similar power to my longer standard guns.
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

I recently purchased a Roisub Michelangelo 115 roller gun.

See test here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQadhQoHEk

Modified the handle to fit my hand and kept everything else stock for the moment. I do have a new trigger mech to replace the old pathos one but for now, shooting it stock.

I have it with me at this moment spearing in Japan. I didn't have time to test it first as I got it late right before I left.

I have shot it twice, once at a soda can to get confidence before use and once at a fish. Both were dead on shots.

The gun shoots an 8mm shaft and with the modified handle, there is NO recoil felt.

Hopefully when I return I will post a full review of the gun.

So far, so good.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
hydroid

I reckon I'm just "old school".
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #19
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I was in the pool yesterday with my good friend Andrea from Italy. He does some of the most amazing spearfishing safaris all over the world and he was nice enough to bring in several C4's and his Alemmani double roller 130 to my home pool. Let's just say that he was absolutely shocked by how poorly the Alemmani he brought compared to the Abellan Albacore and Abellan Denton's ... and even the Pathos Sniper 125 I had modified. I was also quite surprised at how well the C4 Mr. Dark (or something like that) 119cm shot ... very very accurate ... but lacked power IMHO. We will do another test tomorrow ... maybe he won't mind if I can do a full test with the Alemmani (accuracy and flat shooting at different distances). And want to push the C4 Mr. Dark to see if the accuracy will hold at a higher power load. I need to upload the video of Andrea shooting an Albacore 130 from 8 meters and passing the tuna test and seeing his reaction as the shaft pulled his arm after the shaft ran out of line
Interesting, hopefully he will let you put both of those guns through their paces.
If it is the C4 with the thinnest front and biggest belly then it should be the Dark - I have been studying them from time to time.
If Andrea is also the guy with the DeepBlue online shop, I can recommend his shop, too. Very knowledgeable and super helpful for sure.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:53 AM   #20
spearq8

Yes Andrea is the guy with the DeepBlue shop and really is great comparing notes with him as he has tons of knowledge of what is available and what is coming up and learing a lot from him. He is developing some new shafts that are by far the best that I have ever seen, and he also brought in some shafts with the welded tube for slip tips ... he has been testing them heavily and told me over 20 large fish caught without a single failure ... so that is also great. Another thing is he is working with a company to develop a new super strong stiff dyneema that is double the strength of existing dyneema ... @ 1mm the strength of the line is 300 kg or almost 700 lb !!! It uses something called SK99 which is very low stretch and double strength.

The C4 Urukuay 120 was nothing special and I have good experience with that gun and it really needs quite a bit of modification to shoot well. With the Dr. Dark ... looks like it has a baby speargun in its belly that wants to come out. But it shot dead on and very flat to about 5 meters with only 2 bands. I helped him mod the handle with epoxy putty and will try to push the band strength today to see if things are still under control. The gun is very accurate but I felt the bands were too easy to load and can gain some power.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 AM   #21
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Yes Andrea is the guy with the DeepBlue shop and really is great comparing notes with him as he has tons of knowledge of what is available and what is coming up and learing a lot from him. He is developing some new shafts that are by far the best that I have ever seen, and he also brought in some shafts with the welded tube for slip tips ... he has been testing them heavily and told me over 20 large fish caught without a single failure ... so that is also great. Another thing is he is working with a company to develop a new super strong stiff dyneema that is double the strength of existing dyneema ... @ 1mm the strength of the line is 300 kg or almost 700 lb !!! It uses something called SK99 which is very low stretch and double strength.

The C4 Urukuay 120 was nothing special and I have good experience with that gun and it really needs quite a bit of modification to shoot well. With the Dr. Dark ... looks like it has a baby speargun in its belly that wants to come out. But it shot dead on and very flat to about 5 meters with only 2 bands. I helped him mod the handle with epoxy putty and will try to push the band strength today to see if things are still under control. The gun is very accurate but I felt the bands were too easy to load and can gain some power.
I only shopped with Andrea once, but he was cool and def recommendable. Probably my top 2-3 for online shops in Europe.

In terms of dyneema, e.g. Samson, in their Amsteel-Blue line, have used a better spec dyneema for years, so could be those he are talking to though I guess more companies can offer that. No matter what, better dyneema formulations def do exist.
I think one of Salvimar's lines are pretty high spec, too?
While you have Andrea, can you ask him about the Asso Triple Force mono that the Italians always rave about? It's also higher specced per mm, than most other monos. Does he feel that is actually true?

In terms of the Mr. Dark, and I know this will be highly subjective without a proper test bench, but any way you can kinda quantify how much easier it tracks than similar sized guns?
I found that even my 125 Mares Mirage airgun with its 40mm barrel couldn't track as fast as I needed. Hence, my desire to make an extreme cuttlefish shaped barrel for my next long pneumatic;-)

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 05-30-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 AM   #22
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

The gun works. It shoots where you point it and hard. Its not a sq8 test but its good enough for me right now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	233671  
Old 05-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #23
vstante

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
I recently purchased a Roisub Michelangelo 115 roller gun.

See test here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQadhQoHEk

Modified the handle to fit my hand and kept everything else stock for the moment. I do have a new trigger mech to replace the old pathos one but for now, shooting it stock.

I have it with me at this moment spearing in Japan. I didn't have time to test it first as I got it late right before I left.

I have shot it twice, once at a soda can to get confidence before use and once at a fish. Both were dead on shots.

The gun shoots an 8mm shaft and with the modified handle, there is NO recoil felt.

Hopefully when I return I will post a full review of the gun.

So far, so good.
Hey nice, what model do You have, the new PLUS Demo3 or the FKDemo3 PLUS, or the old one? I also bought it few days ago and shot with it only 3-4 shots. I wasnt that accurate with it. Ill go today to the pool to test it better. I changed the trigger mech, but still didnt customize the handle. There is almost no recoil, thats true.
vstante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:46 AM   #24
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

115 demo 3. Has 3 bands. With a modified handle, you have no noticible recoil. Ive shot it a total of 7 times, 6 at fish one at a can. For me its accurate and powerful. The big fish is a 50lb GT one of the hardest fighting fish in the pacific ocean. Shaft penetrated completely through very tough thing to do with these brutes.

So far, ao good
Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #25
Freshy

Quote:
I was in the pool yesterday with my good friend Andrea from Italy. He does some of the most amazing spearfishing safaris all over the world and he was nice enough to bring in several C4's and his Alemmani double roller 130 to my home pool. Let's just say that he was absolutely shocked by how poorly the Alemmani he brought compared to the Abellan Albacore and Abellan Denton's ... and even the Pathos Sniper 125 I had modified. I was also quite surprised at how well the C4 Mr. Dark (or something like that) 119cm shot ... very very accurate ... but lacked power IMHO. We will do another test tomorrow ... maybe he won't mind if I can do a full test with the Alemmani (accuracy and flat shooting at different distances). And want to push the C4 Mr. Dark to see if the accuracy will hold at a higher power load. I need to upload the video of Andrea shooting an Albacore 130 from 8 meters and passing the tuna test and seeing his reaction as the shaft pulled his arm after the shaft ran out of line
I saw a photo on Instagram of you two and have been waiting for the youtube video/ review on the different guns. Can't wait
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #26
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
115 demo 3. Has 3 bands. With a modified handle, you have no noticible recoil. Ive shot it a total of 7 times, 6 at fish one at a can. For me its accurate and powerful. The big fish is a 50lb GT one of the hardest fighting fish in the pacific ocean. Shaft penetrated completely through very tough thing to do with these brutes.

So far, ao good
2fishin2, it looks like the roisub demo3 is a pathos handle clone, carbon pipe (half railed) and an invert roller muzzle. How does that compare with some of the other guns you use/ own? I noticed in a few different threads, you have taken some great fish + shot an assortment of guns to do so... bleutec, herranen, aimrite, sea sniper etc
Old 06-04-2017, 01:39 AM   #27
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshy View Post
I saw a photo on Instagram of you two and have been waiting for the youtube video/ review on the different guns. Can't wait

Yeah ... we spent two days in the pool ... maybe about 8 hours total. The video is long so I need to edit it, but I think there is a lot of good information as we talk about quite a few things while testing. It was also nice to have someone who spearfishes as much as he does compare notes. I really had a hard time getting him out of the pool and he almost missed his night flight back home.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:47 AM   #28
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Recluse View Post
2fishin2, it looks like the roisub demo3 is a pathos handle clone, carbon pipe (half railed) and an invert roller muzzle. How does that compare with some of the other guns you use/ own? I noticed in a few different threads, you have taken some great fish + shot an assortment of guns to do so... bleutec, herranen, aimrite, sea sniper etc
I have owned a lot of guns....

Some I liked some not so much, all for different reasons. Not saying there is anything wrong with the guns but, just I didn't like them for personal reasons.

Guns I own and shoot now and happy with:

Aimrite no frills 120cm carbon with Meandros mech.

Roisub Michelangelo115 Demo 3

Abellan Albacore 130

The review of the Albacore 130 was spot on! Best shooting gun I have ever owned except for one that Phil H made for me few years back.

I am really liking the Roisub. Its a fun gun to shoot with a lot of power in its 8mm shaft. The loading system is really unique and very simple even with having to load 2 bands and the shaft line.

One brand of gun I own (3 of them actually) are going to consignment sales soon.

For me personally the Bluetec guns haven't lived up to the hype. I used them last year on a trip and just couldn't like them. The flat thin body style is really difficult to use in current. Current plays a big part of that gun's performance. Because it is lighter, flatter and wider, any current has a dramatic effect on how the gun handles and if it gets caught it will sweep and make you miss shots.

The pic is from my first time shooting the Abellan. Shaft used was a GR Tarr Red Tide 8mm double flopper. The are the most underrated and best shafts on the market right now. I'm sold on them as the workmanship is second to none even the Hunt shafts.

Now if Red Tide will release their gun line, I will be shooting one of them also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadfish.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	233770  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:39 AM   #29
apeogre

Woody, if you want one of the Red tide guns that they have on their instagram, you can get them. Alper from Budak spearguns makes them for GR. They've got a few different rear handle guns as well as a couple of rollers that aren't on the website. I've got a 110 and it measures 125 cm long. You can get them custom painted as well.

Check them out at www.budakonline.com. I've found contacting him on his instagram is really easy. @budak_spearguns
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 AM   #30
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Thanks for the heads up! However, I promised GR I would purchase from him and I will hold up that promise. Especially since he's such a standup guy to order from.