Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 Tournament and Event Archives > 2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013

2013 The Blue Wild Expo - February 23-24, 2013 This is a world-class spearfishing, diving and water sports event with 1,000s of participants at the Ft. Lauderdale Convention Center.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #16
spearer17
shane

Re: Thoughts on the 2013 Blue Wild ...............

Paid $15 for a blue rubber band bracelet that I didn't need. Nor did it glow in the dark! Haha Other than that....

Had alot of fun and met some great people!
Seems like the size of these expos doubles every year!

Great job Sheri!
spearer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Sheri
So Little Time

It seems The Blue Wild has taken on a life of its own. There is always some kind of magic in the air. I believe it's all about the people -- you get a bunch of cool, interesting, excited ocean lovers together -- mix it up, and you get The Blue Wild!

I love the enthusiasm in everyone's eyes. I thought the exhibitors did a great job with their booths, the speakers worked hard to make good presentations, and the artists made it all look so beautiful. Special thank you to the raffle donors, especially the craftsmen and artists who make things with their own two hands -- I know it's a labor of love, and you've made a lot of people very happy. We appreciate your generosity, and we've been able to give Twin Palms (school for the developmentally disabled) a nice chunk of change once again. We also appreciate our sponsors: Flanigan's who gives free drink coins and food certificates, Divers Direct/Blackbeard's/CocoView who sponsored the new Photo/Video Contest, Austin's for sponsoring the Sling Workshop, Daryl Wong who always donates several beautiful spearguns and generously shares his expertise in the Workshops with everyone.

I'm always so humbled by my friends who get me through this, because I bite off more than I can chew, and they show up and make it all happen. Special thanks to my buddies (on land and water): Dave Earp and Chris, Dan MacMahon, AJ, Stoker, Bobbi, Jonathan, Pat, Mena, Dimitris, Casey, Montse, Dale, Jim, Linda, Denise, and Susan....it was all YOU!!!
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Great expo Sheri! Had a great time and good meeting you and everyone else there. It was nice to finally meet the many people that I've talked to online about spearfishing, but never in person. Hopefully you can get down to the Keys to do some diving with AJ and I soon!
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Ballenita

Sheri, I just love your enthusiasm! LOL Thanks for everything "Mermaid"! Hope to see you at it again next year again.

Henry

Ballenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Wile E. Coyote

While we are thanking everyone...of course thanks to Sheri, since we wouldnt have this great show every...almost every...year without her

I wanted to say thanks to Daryl for giving me a complete speargun kit...free of charge. I was hoping for ...maybe ...a trigger mech or handle. The first thing Daryl says to me, when i see him at the BW show is...Let's do it again next year...he's offering another Speargun kit!!! That's impressive. Very generous.

I also wanted to thank Dan MacMahon. I really wanted to see the gun Ricky & he made, but got there late on Saturday. When I saw him Sunday he took the time to show me their version of an AB Biller gun...and how they made the stock, special shafts, etc.
I might have a similar...but somewhat rough..version of one in the next few months.
Wile E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #21
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
And of course, If I can ever be of assistance, feel free to PM me here on this board!

Safe Diving, Dan
Dan, I really enjoyed your freeshafting presentation on Saturday - I learn something new everytime (I'm one of those people that sticks the PPD up my sleeve - that's gonna change!)

A question I wish I would of thought to ask concerns the kill spike. I went to one of Kevin's pre-Ocean Rhino freeshafting seminars, and he highly recommended shouldering the gun by the bands so it doesn't float away from you while you string up all those fish laying on the bottom. Doesn't the kill spike tend to stick you in the back and tear up your wetsuit?

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Gary,

I respect Kevin as a shooter and he's a good friend of mine. That being said, the stringing your arm through the bands is one of the few things we might disagree on a little. Def not saying it's a bad method, I know some guys who use it well, it's just not something I personally use.

I place a piece of stainless plate on the bottom of the gun, right before the butt. About 1/4" thick, as wide as the wood and 6"-8" long (whatever you can easily fit). With all shafts out of the gun, the gun should stand up on the bottom with the muzzle pointed straight up. Perfect for locating it in a swirl of stirred up muck. The trick is to experiment with a couple different pieces of stainless until you find the size/thickness that performs the way you want it to. Different woods and guns have different buoyancy characteristics so no one size will fit all.

One def advantage for Scuba Shooters (Obviously free divers want their guns to float) is that in the heat of battle you shoot all your spears and forget that your gun is now positive and forget to put your arm through the bands. The gun will take off for the surface and end your dive and possibly cost you a gun. Might even get worse if a BUF happens to show up and you're gunless.

With a weighted butt, if you forget the guns empty, and drop the gun, it sits right there on the bottom next to you. Also, with kill spikes, multiple shafts, etc , the rear added weight will improve the balance of the gun.

Glad you enjoyed the talk. Thanks for the question.

Dan

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

{ I also wanted to thank Dan MacMahon. I really wanted to see the gun Ricky & he made, but got there late on Saturday. When I saw him Sunday he took the time to show me their version of an AB Biller gun...and how they made the stock, special shafts, etc.
I might have a similar...but somewhat rough..version of one in the next few months.
Rob,

It was a pleasure talking to you and showing you that gun. Ricky does all the Wood work on our guns. I don't have the temperment and paitence for wood working.(I sometimes tend to subscribe to the "Get a bigger hammer" method, which doesn't work too well with precision wood working) I do the rigging but he gets all the credit for the beautiful laminating that he does.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Based on your past builds, I know it'll be special. Please keep me in the loop as you progress with it.

Man, that BW event is something special isn't it?? Can you imagine how many tens of thousands of conversations have happened because of it? And how many friendships have begun because of it. Incredible! Sheri's impacted a lot of lives with her creation!

Dan

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
primalpete

Interesting Dan. When I lineshaft I still shoulder my gun almost everytime I shoot, especially anytime I unhook the line to pull it through a fish. It was a habit I carried over from freeshafting and it has served me well. Nothing worse than letting go of a positive gun and hoping you can find it on the surface.

A benefit similar to your gun floating muzzle up so it can be found easier in some mucked up water is when my line gun has been shot and floats up still attached to the shaft. That gives the whole setup a larger profile making it easier to find in the event that I decide to leave the gun to shoot another fish. Of course this is practical if you are shooting more than one gun as some of us like to do.

I know this might not be news to you, but I am sure someone will find this information useful.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
Marco

Are there any more pics of the show? Maybe in another thread?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Thoughts on the 2013 Blue Wild ...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Are there any more pics of the show? Maybe in another thread?

Marco, I spoke with Sheri an hour ago and she is getting pics from her photog tonight. They should be available soon.
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
kmoose
Team Headhunter

I am really kicking myself in the azz for not planning and going. I won't let it happen again, that's for sure!

Glad you had such a great event Sheri, I've heard many fantastic things about the show! See you for sure next year!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #28
diligaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I am really kicking myself in the azz for not planning and going. I won't let it happen again, that's for sure!

Glad you had such a great event Sheri, I've heard many fantastic things about the show! See you for sure next year!
It would be great to have you there! Maybe Sheri could talk you into doing a workshop with Dan... the Headhunter team would be a blast on stage together.
diligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligaf View Post
It would be great to have you there! Maybe Sheri could talk you into doing a workshop with Dan... the Headhunter team would be a blast on stage together.
We could spend hours just telling funny Moose stories. Dan has such a good memory for these things known affectionately as "Moose Tails". Most involve me self inflicting some sort of pain to myself and others........ I've alway been the kid who had to put his hand on the stove burner more than once.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #30
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligaf View Post
Now that would really be the shitz! I'd want to wear high rubber boots or roll my cuffs up, but it would be entertaining.

I've been to two of these things, and both times Dan's talk was one of my favorites. Adding Kenny would really add something special (whatever special means).

I just wish this thing wasn't so far away from home and so expensive, but maybe next year.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote