Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Karma Trees

Young Clueless Lifeguard?

So I just wanted to share a quick story that happened to me a few months back before all the swell. I was spearing up in N. County reluctantly by myself (buddy didn't make it out). I had my buoy w/ flag floatline attached to my gun etc. While underwater I could hear a boat and it was getting louder and louder as if coming towards me! I stuck around underwater for a little longer hoping it would slow down and i could spot it from underneath but i ran out of time and had to surface. As I did I saw the boat which was actually a waverunner coming right for me from around 50-60 yards away FULL STEAM! I quickly stuck my gun in the air swam up to my buoy next the the flag and the guy cut his engine and blew right by me and OVER my floatline (Feet away from hitting me!!!) with waaaay to much speed. As he turned on his engine again and came around for a second pass more slowly I could see it was a lifeguard! He asked me what i was doing out there and I looked at him awkwardly with gun in hand and said REALLY? I was pretty mad my head almost got taken off by a FREAKIN LIFEGUARD and was definitely pissed off. He said something like be safe and then sped off back up the coastline..? Why would he come at me like that so fast? He should have known not to come that close to a diver with a "DIVER DOWN" flag up at least with so much speed! Just felt like this guy should have known better. Wanted to share my closest call EVER with boat (waverunner) and see what anybody had to say about it. Usually its some drunk guy fishing the kelp beds coming too close but to have a "fully alert" lifeguard come at me like that really turned my brights on to the dangers of ALL crafts in the water.. PS I Don't ever dive alone and this happened to be one of the few times I had. Don't recommend it and haven't done it since. I know that is something many of you will scold me on!
Karma Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
surforfish
Ocho Loko

Send a message via AIM to surforfish
Re: Young Clueless Lifeguard?

If he came that close i wouldnt use "fully alert" and just because he is a life guard doesnt mean he knows the 1st thing about spearfisherman. We are the minoirty in the water so many people just are not well informed of what we are doing. Probably thought your bouy was a lobster trap.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Karma Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by surforfish View Post
If he came that close i wouldnt use "fully alert" and just because he is a life guard doesnt mean he knows the 1st thing about spearfisherman. We are the minoirty in the water so many people just are not well informed of what we are doing. Probably thought your bouy was a lobster trap.
Yeah that's why i put "Fully Alert" in quotes haha! He obviously had NO CLUE! I was about ready to empty my suit out cuz I had just about shit myself. Never had ANYBODY come that close to me going that fast and then have them just take off like it was nothing..i was really glad his ski didn't catch my floatline at all and drag my ass the extra yards it took him to stop
Karma Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
fishmustdie
Power's on!

We all dive alone, don't worry about it

Dr. Craig Petersen D.C.
fishmustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

Having known quite a few SD guards personally they are not all smart nor professional. In fact some of the dumbest surf bums I have ever met are guards lol.
Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #6
Cameronv
Ando26

One of my friends is a state guard in the oceano dunes district and he smokes weed on duty. Weed smoking is no different than drinking alcohol imo, but on duty.. Not very cool man. Two of his coworkers do too. He knew the boss so he got the in.

He has a felony and a decent record with the law. He's a reserve fire fighter for avila beach.. Not sure how he landed that one.
Cameronv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
mactrac

I suggest you contact the lifeguards and/or Coast Guard and let them know what happened to you.

Not so much to get the young lifeguard in trouble, but hopefully it will lead to better awareness training for watercraft operators. If no one says anything, nothing gets fixed.

In my experience, the CG is very willing to follow up on safety issues likes this (notwithstanding the accident in SD harbor several years ago caused by CG negligence).
mactrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
AJP
Reluctant User

Glad to hear that you didn't get run over.

I remember reading a post by a fellow in the Freshwater section who explained how his back had been run-over by some kids on a jetski on the Colorado River. They did not even stop and he never got any sort of a reckoning.

You have a good chance of finding out exactly who it was and then taking further measures. Who was on duty on this day, at this time, at this beach? Best of luck.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Atanasprime

I almost got run over by a lifeguard in Del Mar last year. I didn't have a floatline but I was only about 20yards from my kayak which had a flag up. He went full speed about 5 yards from me.... Didn't see me until after he passed. Stopped, looked at me for a few seconds then sped away. My closest call with a boat as well.