Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
Bob Ballew

Here We Go!

...The Bluefin have moved another 20 miles in the last day into the 63 degree water at 32 N/117W...Some tuna now above the border heading N/W..some volume at Hidden Reef with fish to 80 lbs and about 35 miles from the border, there are big Bluefin being caught west of the 302...Catalina a little slow with scattered, but, larger size seabass...Lots of yellowtail at San Clemente island from Pyramid Cove around the inside up along White Rock area...The island is mostly open this weekend.
...Yellowtail and wsb on the south side of Santa Barbara island...some yt on the kelp paddies mid channel off Long Beach and some toad yt off the Long Beach oil rigs...Big seabass on the coast ...It's time to go
diving.... Update: 4/31....Bluefin are above the border on one of the three banks I previously posted as likely areas for them to show...5/2/19: Good catches of Bluefin 20 miles below the Coronados..

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 05-02-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Kadman

Re: Here We Go!

Thanks Bob, Now that's a nice report. Cheers, Kadman
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #3
Bob Ballew

Then, there is the nice color pic by one of the Oudin boys deplicting the large man in the grey suit patrolling the surface near Ship Rock today....
Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
32Juan
RIP Bird Rock (∞-1/1/12)

It was more like isthmus reef
Old 04-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #5
Bob Ballew

...Looking at the dorsal fin, I would guess it to be over 12'...When you are diving spots in limited vis, and the hair stands up on your neck...pay attention to your gut instinct and move to another spot...This has happened to me on more than one occasion, especially on the west end dropoff at Catalina...the last time was a couple of years back when another diver and I were in West Cove. The vis was limited, there was lots of seals and sealife working the bait and I got more antsy the longer we dove...Even saw some sea bass but, they were acting very spooky...Told my buddy it was time to move and we did..
...The next day, there was a nice video online of a good size mako attacking a seal a couple hundred feet outside of where we were diving....We passed the boat and fellow video taping as we pulled out …

Pay close attention to gun maintenance: A little neglect can breed great mischief; for want of a tight knot, the shaft was lost; for want of a shaft, use of the gun was lost; for want of a gun, the diver was lost, being overtaken and slain by the enemy; all for want of a little care about a loose knot...(Ben Franklin and old Bob)

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-29-2019 at 12:40 AM.