Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Force E
Official Sponsor

Lionfish Derby in West Palm Beach

Do you like spearing lionfish? Pretty good at it? Then get your team together and join the Lionfish Derby by REEF

To register go to:

http://www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies/southeastfl

Once you've registered, call or come by your Force-E Dive Center and we can get you and your team set up on a fabulous dive boat out of West Palm Beach.

August 12th, 4:30-6:30 PM: MANDATORY captain's meeting at Sailfish Marina (including late registration/collection of registration packets/supplies/rules etc)
*Captain's Meeting is mandatory for the team captain and all team members are encouraged to attend. There will be a briefing on safe collection and handling procedures for lionfish. Each member of the team must fill out a liability waiver, found HERE, and submit it before or at the captain's meeting.

August 13th, sunrise-4:00 PM: No morning check-in; teams may begin collecting at sunrise.
-4:00 PM: Lionfish must be brought in for scoring by 4:00 PM. Officials count and score.
-4:00-7:00 PM: Social and lionfish tasting open to the public.
-7:00 PM: Awards dinner at Sailfish Marina.

Last edited by SpearMax; 08-01-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Force E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
ApneaAndrew
r------> <><

Re: Lionfish Derby in West Palm Beach

This may be the correct page - http://www.reef.org/node/4445
ApneaAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
Force E
Official Sponsor

the link
http://www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies/southeastfl
Force E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Nice Prizes!

Prizes given to the top three teams in each category:

•MOST LIONFISH: $1,000 cash, $500 cash, $250 cash or gift certificate

•BIGGEST LIONFISH: $500 cash, $200 cash, $100 cash or gift certificate

•SMALLEST LIONFISH: $500 cash, $200 cash, $100 cash or gift certificate

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
reef roamer

looking forward to it & sharpening my lion tamer as we speak. not sure how to carry around a bunch with spines not cut off though, guessing my lobster bag with a long leash. usually cut the spines and string them, but they want them uncut. this is going to be tricky. good luck everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9230542.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	156462  

hey wana sea my fish????????

Koahspearguns.com.
Ladygadivers
reef roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef roamer View Post
looking forward to it & sharpening my lion tamer as we speak. not sure how to carry around a bunch with spines not cut off though, guessing my lobster bag with a long leash. usually cut the spines and string them, but they want them uncut. this is going to be tricky. good luck everyone
I think I would use a 5 ft- 3/4" pvc pipe with a 2-inch loop of line in each end...Clip one end of the pole to your waist/chest and the bag gets clipped to the other end. As long as the bag is clipped off, the pole should give you a 5 ft radius of separation... Of course you have to unclip from waist to place fish in bag..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
reef roamer

thanks jfjf, thats a great idea, now to alter the lobster shoot so the little devils don't sneak back out. thinking gorilla glue and slices of milk jug on the flap. think it will hold up for a day?

also, my boat trailer is trashed and the boat is in the water, need to find a used single axle trailer for a 17ft whaler before this hurricane hits. if anyone knows of one for sale, cheep, please pm me, thanks char

hey wana sea my fish????????

Koahspearguns.com.
Ladygadivers

Last edited by reef roamer; 08-02-2011 at 08:35 AM.
reef roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
pernicia

Quote:
my friend uses a dry bag, the ones the roll the top and clip to close...
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ing_googlebase

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
jfjf

Quote:
thanks jfjf, thats a great idea now to alter the lobster shoot so the little devils don't sneak back out. thinking gorilla glue and slices of milk jug on the flap. think it will hold up for a day?

also, my boat trailer is trashed and the boat is in the water, need to find a used single axle trailer for a 17ft whaler before this hurricane hits. if anyone knows of one for sale, cheep, please pm me, thanks char
My idea was how to keep the lobster bag from contacting your body when swimming with a "stick".

The normal lobster hotel bag, would retain all but the smallest of lionfish, I would think. I used to be a commercial golf ball diver and we used those exact same lobster hotels with no modification and no balls would fall out.

If you are really worried that a small fish can get out on the edge of the flap, you can cut a section from the bottom and side of a 5-gallon plastic bucket (the corner section of the bucket with the 90 degree angle). This piece can then be riveted on to the edge of the lobster hotel collar and configured so that the 90-degree edge acts like a hinge and makes a flap.. if you think it needs to be done.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
IRONHEAD
Member of the Pain Train

These contests are all fine and dandy till someone gets stuck by a fish and ends up hurt or worse. im all for killing the bastards but encouraging people to kill them off for prize money seems a bit of a liability to me.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONHEAD View Post
These contests are all fine and dandy till someone gets stuck by a fish and ends up hurt or worse. im all for killing the bastards but encouraging people to kill them off for prize money seems a bit of a liability to me.
Don't worry, it will be over soon. The population is exploding and I think they will soon determine that these "tournaments" can not provide a cost effective means to contol the lionfish.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Don't worry, it will be over soon. The population is exploding and I think they will soon determine that these "tournaments" can not provide a cost effective means to contol the lionfish.
That's exactly my line of thinking. It seems that somehow there must be a price on their heads, like any other fish for commercial sale, and if so, this would trigger a broad effort to harvest them.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
Reeftails

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverlen View Post
That's exactly my line of thinking. It seems that somehow there must be a price on their heads, like any other fish for commercial sale, and if so, this would trigger a broad effort to harvest them.
If you all go out and catch a bunch of lionfish, I'll pay 3.50 per lb for them to help out the cause and putting on the Derby.

Someone will just have to meet me half way up on I-95 because i'm in Cocoa.

Let me Know if this would help the Derby out. Joe. 321-749-8195
Reeftails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
clearnhouse
Jonny 12 things at 1 time

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONHEAD View Post
Yeah Im all for controlling the population but if someone gets stuck down at 100ft and has an anaphylactic allergic reaction... that could be.. well very serious.. How bout entry fee includes price for a epi-pen
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Here is one Lionfish collection bag that Armor Bags developed.

http://www.armorbags.com/baitbags.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	134lion_fish_bag6_lg.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	156772  

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote