Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
SOLOGUY

Railgun choices

Hey guys...

Im looking for a railgun in the 90CM range for mainly snapper, sheephead,grouper in florida, mostly closer range / lower vis stuff, but I only have a freeshaft gun at present and wanted a railgun... Id like to hear opinions on Hammerhead vs Rob Allen, or ANY other make but really looking at the HH but read some stuff about misfires- so I cam here for opinions

Thanks
SOLOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
jfjf

Re: Railgun choices

I’m a big fan of MAKO. You can’t go wrong with a basic 90 cm predator with a single wrap of line and two bands for your application.

Only load one band for shooting in holes. Super tough shafts and an incredible warranty. Shipping is free and the bands are hand tied to your specifications on the day you order the gun. Can’t get fresher bands.

Not to mention, Dano is a stand up guy who supports his customers and also provides a ton of support for wounded US Veterans.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Rob Allen snappers or tunas, I hate their rollers but I certainly love their railguns. You can't go wrong with a RA 1000 which's the one I have.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
diveincanada

love my 90cm Mako... Rugged and price is hard to beat...
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Nix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOGUY View Post
Hey guys...

Im looking for a railgun in the 90CM range for mainly snapper, sheephead,grouper in florida, mostly closer range / lower vis stuff, but I only have a freeshaft gun at present and wanted a railgun... Id like to hear opinions on Hammerhead vs Rob Allen, or ANY other make but really looking at the HH but read some stuff about misfires- so I cam here for opinions

Thanks
I'd go Rob Allen Tuna for your needs between those choices. Another Option could be the Pathos D'Angelo 1. Both are reliable, accurate and have few issues without overpowering.

Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
SubSub

Pathos Open Pro 90.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
SOLOGUY

Guys...

Thanks- Im going to check these guns out- still open fore any other suggestions.....

Again- Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #8
SOLOGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
Iím a big fan of MAKO. You canít go wrong with a basic 90 cm predator with a single wrap of line and two bands for your application.

Only load one band for shooting in holes. Super tough shafts and an incredible warranty. Shipping is free and the bands are hand tied to your specifications on the day you order the gun. Canít get fresher bands.

Not to mention, Dano is a stand up guy who supports his customers and also provides a ton of support for wounded US Veterans.
I looked on the MAKO site, man they need some better pics of that gun lol !
Old 06-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
jfjf

They have pictures of the various components as you scroll down. For $175 shipped it would be hard to beat. I shot a lot of fish with a MAKO 90. Don’t underestimate the benefits of the super strong South Africa shafts and floppers when trying to pull a decent fish out from a hole.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
Diver278

I have a hammerhead 90 been shooting it for close to 5 Years now never had a problem with it nor a misfire also have a 130 hammerhead and no problems with it either. I also have a Pathos 115 roller and it shoots great. Both brands are great. I never shot a RA gun so can’t comment on those guns but hear good things about them also. Don’t know why hammerhead guns aren’t talked about much they shoot great and are accurate.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #11
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Love my Rob Allen guns. Most of my complaints have been fixed over the past ten years or so.

Wish the open muzzle wasnt so large - or that there was a track for the line to fit coming down off the muzzle, but I havent seen a new RA in awhile.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #12
SOLOGUY

I ended up with an 85 cm Hammerhead- They had it at a local shop- like supporting the local places.

NOW- Im looking for a pole spear.... geeeeez... Im clueless on this, SOOOO many choices/ combos
Old 06-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #13
Diver278

You’ll like that gun. Like I said before I have a 90cm HH and haven’t had one problem with it. I just converted it to a roller and it still shoots great.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote