Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Buddy Networking -- Let's Go Hunting! > Anywhere else!

Anywhere else! You can post here to get a conversation started if looking to meet and hunt with people in other areas not listed above.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Otolithco

In Colombia now. Then Ecuador. Anyone around?

I'm heading to the Pacific Coast of Colombia tomorrow. Available to meet up anywhere in Colombia (and Ecuador, in a month or two). Anyone around or know of any potential dive buddies?
Otolithco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
Marco

Re: In Colombia now. Then Ecuador. Anyone around?

I would love to read about the outcome of this trip.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Otolithco

First... anybody spearing in Peru? Any contacts or experience there? I'm heading there in the next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I would love to read about the outcome of this trip.
It would be quite a long trip report
...but it has been incredible. On this trip, I have hunted hundreds of places including Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, and Ecuador.

99% of the time I am shore diving so I can only speak on what I am able to access. So far, I would say that the Pacific Coast of Colombia had the most and the biggest fish. Maybe just coincidence, but it was also probably the most remote place I have been (which is saying a lot) and had very, very little pressure from fishing.

An interesting side note: The differences in fish that are considered "table-fare" from country to country. For example, in Costa Rica (and almost anywhere else) you leave the Roosterfish alone. On the Pacific Coast of Colombia, it was the opposite. I was able to take much more than we could eat, so I would ask neighboring locals which fish they would like. Almost always they would ask for Roosterfish. After that, Jack Crevalle (also not regarded as great table fare by most). Even with some nice sized pargo on my stringer, they would take the Roosters and Jack Crevalles. And they eat fish literally every single meal. To be fair, with the way they prepared the roosterfish, it was very tasty. They used some sort of lime-cilantro brine, covered it with banana leaves and cooked / smoked it over a fire.

Behind Colombia, a few places in Nicaragua and Costa Rica stand out as being very productive with some beautiful diving spots. And of course, Baja. The one place I wish I would have spent more time.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Otolithco

Also, anyone know how to edit the title of the thread?