Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #106
Marco

Re: Rob Allen Tuna Rollergun

Well, I have a 110 carbon RA roller. It shoots veeeeeery well! I have a couple videos I can show. Loading is very fast an easy with the extension and it stores easily at the clip in the handle. I bought it from some friends visiting here and I'm happy.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work

Last edited by Marco; 03-15-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #107
alldayreese

I am new to the roller set up, and no I do not own one, so my knowledge is based off communication through the net. Which isn't as efficient as real-life evaluation of the mechanical side of these guns. But the videos Mos Def help in observation. A regular rail gun is a direct drive system, the roller gun is a compact, somewhat of a collapsible system. Direct drive is usually straight to the point with least amount of problems. But who doesn't want more power with lower profile.

The downward drifting shaft, This could all be from a deformation of an object in which parallel planes remain parallel but are shifted in a direction parallel to themselves. strain.

In other news, I believe the Chinese food today stirred me up. SHit, shit.

Last edited by alldayreese; 03-15-2017 at 09:14 PM.
alldayreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #108
Marco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Well, I have a 110 carbon RA roller. It shoots veeeeeery well! I have a couple videos I can show. Loading is very fast an easy with the extension and it stores easily at the clip in the handle. I bought it from some friends visiting here and I'm happy.
Here you can see the RA roller in action. No bullshit.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #109
Lagoon Snapper

Hey marco. Are you using the stock settings? if not, What size shaft do you use and what length and thickness are yours bands?
Lagoon Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #110
Marco

Stock setrings. 7 mm x 140 shaft and 16 mm bands.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #111
Lagoon Snapper

Thanks. The 110's down here (Trinidad & Tobago) come stock with 7mm, 150cm shaft and 16mm bands cut at 65cm under full pre-tension.
Lagoon Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #112
eckartbenk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=0kTPEcFsdhk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eckartbenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #113
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

LOR=windowtext]In theory the roller gun should give way more power than conventional guns due to the stroke being longer. This is true with shorter guns but as the gun gets longer, the advantage decreases. We found that a 1,3m standard double band gun with double wrap, same shaft diameter and diameter bands, shoots no different to a 1,3m roller. Same accuracy, same penetration, no advantage.[/color]

Then why do you offer 130's knowing there's no advantage compared to a regular railgun??
Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #114
Marco

Rollerguns have no recoil.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #115
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Knowing that for a fact, that there's no advantage compared to a regular railgun ... Why do you offer Rollers in the 120 and 130 range then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Ok, I will try answer some of the questions but first a little history.

We started tinkering with roller guns a long time back and have made around 30 proto types to date. This excludes all the different setups tried on each gun.

During this time we spent long days in my pool with high speed cameras to see just what is going on. We feel we have solved many of the issues rollers have. The main problem is trying to prevent the shooting line being momentarily caught under the bands on the way down the barrel. This is what we think is causing roller guns to shoot low. A side effect is also poor penetration. If the shooting line does not get caught, it shoots straight and has good penetration. (On a side note, we also found penitration is up to 30% less if the gun is not held firm.) The only way to see if the line gets under the band is with a high speed camera. This is not a muzzle wrap as the line is pulled out during the shot by the shaft.
In theory the roller gun should give way more power than conventional guns due to the stroke being longer. This is true with shorter guns but as the gun gets longer, the advantage decreases. We found that a 1,3m standard double band gun with double wrap, same shaft diameter and diameter bands, shoots no different to a 1,3m roller. Same accuracy, same penetration, no advantage.
It is our opinion that a 1,1m roller is the longest viable length in a single roller set up. This gives you a slight reach/range advantage over a 1,3m single wrap and, will be easier to manoeuvre.
We have not tested double rollers yet.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #116
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Angry Re: Rob Allen Tuna Rollergun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Rollerguns have no recoil.
Actually Marco the 130 has some noticeable and odd recoil .Porbably not in the shorter guns

Last edited by monster slayer; 06-16-2018 at 11:03 PM.
monster slayer is offline   Reply With Quote