Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-31-2018, 03:07 AM   #1
slpoh

Flopper problem

Got a new gun and it shoots 3 inches high above target.The flopper is under the shaft.I change the flopper to on top the shaft and it shoots 4 inches below target.Took outbthe flopper and it shoots straight.Anyone know what to do?I got a same brand shaft with other gun and it shoots fine.I got a spare shaft and it shoots high too.Is it the problem of the gun or the shaft?
slpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Mikel_24

Re: Flopper problem

Did you bend the tip of the flopper too much? If you did, maybe it is working as a spoiler...

If you bend it, do is sligthly and at the same time, sharpen it. The benefit is two fold: less surface to act as a spoiler AND if you don't go all the way through the fish, the flopper will open when the shaft tries to come out.

If without the flopper it shoots straight, that rules out any gun problems. The flopper does not add too much mass to be noticeable.

If you can find a suitable cone for your shaft, it should help it flying straight as well.

I hope this helps. BR,

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
slpoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Did you bend the tip of the flopper too much? If you did, maybe it is working as a spoiler...

If you bend it, do is sligthly and at the same time, sharpen it. The benefit is two fold: less surface to act as a spoiler AND if you don't go all the way through the fish, the flopper will open when the shaft tries to come out.

If without the flopper it shoots straight, that rules out any gun problems. The flopper does not add too much mass to be noticeable.

If you can find a suitable cone for your shaft, it should help it flying straight as well.

I hope this helps. BR

Mikel
At first I did add a cone on both shaft,flopper on top and under .But it is the same and I thought maybe it is the cone.But when I took out the cone it is the same.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
spearq8

Adding a cone should straighten shaft flight as it prevents the flopper from letting its leading edges vector the shaft. Just make sure that the cross section of the cone covers the leading edges of the flopper cross section. A problem can happen when you change floppers and the flopper pin holes don't match correctly for the shaft you are using. For example if you put an 8mm flopper on a 7mm shaft, things will not line up properly and the flopper will tend to be very aggressive in vectoring the tip up or down.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpoh View Post
At first I did add a cone on both shaft,flopper on top and under .But it is the same and I thought maybe it is the cone.But when I took out the cone it is the same.
The cone is symetrical, shouldn't affect the flight of the shaft.

Do you have spare floppers of a sligthly bigger size so as to fit two of them (one on top, one under) at the same time?

Can't think of any other solution now....
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
slpoh

Problem solved!!Put a pathos flopper and it lay flat on the shaft ,It shoots great on the target.Shoots straight.And thanks for the information you all provided.Thanks again!!
Old 06-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
Xylophone

If you took the cone off the shaft I would put it back on. I like how easy the pathos flopper was to tune, but I have found the flopper hinge susceptible to getting jammed from fish flesh. I lost a couple fish on my pathos shaft prior to installing a cone.
Xylophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #8
slpoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylophone View Post
If you took the cone off the shaft I would put it back on. I like how easy the pathos flopper was to tune, but I have found the flopper hinge susceptible to getting jammed from fish flesh. I lost a couple fish on my pathos shaft prior to installing a cone.
Thanks for the info.Will try to put back the cone and see how it shoots.