Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Lost KB Signature Speargun

Got a call today that a friend lost his Ocean Rhino KB Signature Teak Wind Song speargun about 45 miles west of New Port Richey on Friday. The serial number is 30. The gun floated to the surface and after an hour long search they were unable to find it. If anyone finds it please call my cell 727-743-7686 or email me at oceanrhino@gmail.com.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 06-17-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Re: Lost KB Signature Speargun

Hate to see anyone lose their speargun......so this serves as a reminder that if you are freeshafting, you should develop the habit of shouldering your gun (put your arm through the bands) between shots. If you prefer you can weight the handle of your speargun with some lead. I much prefer the shouldering method VS. lead because of the additional weight. Either option with help prevent the loss of your speargun.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Just found out the serial number on the gun is 30 not 40 as I originally posted so I have revised the original post. Additionally, his initials which are AG are stamped in the underside of the barrel just forward of the grip/trigger assembly.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Alec

How does one go about losing a speargun? I've been spearing for 14 years and never got close..
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
How does one go about losing a speargun? I've been spearing for 14 years and never got close..
We do a lot of freeshafting on the west coast of Florida and carry multiple shafts on our spearguns. If you shoot all the shafts out of the gun and you let go of the gun, the gun will float to the surface. If you have shot 3 fish as this guy did, by the time you have retrieved and strung the fish from three shafts the gun is already on the surface before you even realize it is gone. Thus, the recommendation to either shoulder the gun between shots or weight the gun so it will not float with no shafts in the gun.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
popgun pete

I wonder if there is something that could be attached to a gun so that it could be seen at some distance, a reflector or light source that was activated by some pressure switch which operated when the gun had been released. It is hard to spot a gun floating only fifty feet away, but immediately after the event that may be as far as it has gone. If there is any surface action then the gun will lift and tilt and a reflector catching the light may signal its position
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
I wonder if there is something that could be attached to a gun so that it could be seen at some distance, a reflector or light source that was activated by some pressure switch which operated when the gun had been released. It is hard to spot a gun floating only fifty feet away, but immediately after the event that may be as far as it has gone. If there is any surface action then the gun will lift and tilt and a reflector catching the light may signal its position
Back in my Sea Hornet manufacturing days we put bright yellow butt pads on the guns for just this reason.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
popgun pete

Maybe a stripe of reflective tape on the top of the Ocean Rhino butt would do, you can get this shiny stuff with fine lines in a cross hatch pattern that has a rainbow look when you tilt it, sort of like light reflecting off a DVD disc. I think it is used for reflectivity on bikes and smaller vehicles. There are also black and yellow warning tapes to caution against trip and "don't hit your head on this" height hazards.

Like this tape: https://www.bronsonsafety.com.au/cla...RoC0usQAvD_BwE
https://www.seton.net.au/3m-983-refl...hoCgxUQAvD_BwE
Old 06-28-2019, 01:51 AM   #9
Mikel_24

I still find hard to understand the logic behind free shafting. Our kind of fish, when shot (and unless stoned) run like crazy in all possible directions, taking shaft, line and the gun itself with them (that's what the reel is for).
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I still find hard to understand the logic behind free shafting. Our kind of fish, when shot (and unless stoned) run like crazy in all possible directions, taking shaft, line and the gun itself with them (that's what the reel is for).
Underwater landscape, spearfishing on scuba, you can see your fish after being shot and can pursue him and maybe stick a second shaft in him. Where I spearfish kelp and underwater vegetation and rocky reef ravines and holes mean that a free shaft may soon be a lost shaft, but it is a case of horses for courses.

East coast spearfishing is different in some situations to West coast spearfishing.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
I see a lot of poor shots with the fillet blown out from guys who use a line and reel. I'm not saying you, just in general. Free shafting forces you to be a better marksman and underwater tracker. There's no line attached to a .308 when hunting big game on land. Why should there be a line hunting underwater? At that rate just hang on the boat with a rod and reel. I don't see the challenge in shooting a fish and reeling it in on the surface.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #12
MeTo

I freedive and consistently use a float and float line. Just bought a Rob Allen 7 liter hard float with flag, love it. I use a Neptonics 70 foot yellow float line and string the fish on the line. Works well.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #13
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I see a lot of poor shots with the fillet blown out from guys who use a line and reel. I'm not saying you, just in general. Free shafting forces you to be a better marksman and underwater tracker. There's no line attached to a .308 when hunting big game on land. Why should there be a line hunting underwater? At that rate just hang on the boat with a rod and reel. I don't see the challenge in shooting a fish and reeling it in on the surface.

Its obvious you don't freedive and spearfish

Reels are for freedivers and basic purposes are for safety and keeping track of a shaft/gun left on the bottom and for staying attached to a larger fish which has sprinted away from you after a shot.

Nobody uses a speargun reel like a fishing reel (if they do, they are incorrect)

Thanks but no Tanks
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
popgun pete

This stuff might be worth a try as it costs next to nothing.

https://www.cesdeals.com/product/10p...ge_recommended

Comes in rectangles or squares, red, green or white. I ordered the rectangles both in green and white.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
SEATUX

There are many possible uses for this stuff, not to even mention flashers to attract fish!...
Thanks for posting!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote