Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2010 Tournament Archives > 2010 St. Pete Open -August 20-22, 2010

2010 St. Pete Open -August 20-22, 2010 Check this forum for details about the 2010 SPO.

View Poll Results: Please Guess the Weight of this Warsaw Grouper
Between 30 - 39 pounds 7 12.96%
Between 40 - 49 pounds 4 7.41%
Between 50 - 59 pounds 0 0%
Between 60 - 69 pounds 6 11.11%
Between 70 - 79 pounds 17 31.48%
Between 80 - 89 pounds 11 20.37%
Between 90 - 100 pounds 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #76
hogsniper
Howie Scarboro

Send a message via Yahoo to hogsniper Send a message via Skype™ to hogsniper
Re: Guess the Weight of the Warsaw Grouper Shot the Day of the 2010 St. Pete Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Howie and Chris were doing the same thing at the Blue Wild Expo. They were going around to potential sponsors and saying buy from us because our rates are so small compared to spearboard.
Thanks for the award Tony, I'll expect it in the mail soon to go right beside my prized trophy from this weekend. We are finishing up on your Bloody Tampon Award as we speak.

Wow, that was really not smart to open up a brand new can of worms, but I'm glad you did. Let's do this...You left out the part where I was also explaining (within hearing distance of JFJF) that a former SB sponsor at the event had just shared with us that they donated thousands in product to you prior to the magazine folding and never got it back or any type of refund. You also left out the part where I told that particular sponsor that we would advertise his company for free because we respected all of the charity work he has done for others. What's the ROI on that type of business plan? You also left out the part where we DONATED $500 in merchandise to the raffle for Sheri, we didn't trade it for a booth, we happily DONATED it with nothing in return.

Our sponsorships helped us provide prizes for numerous charities, spearfishing tournaments, Key West Open, Southern Open, Blue Wild Expo, SPO, TBSC, Hell Divers, FRA, Rob Murphy, FSDA, etc, etc. What did SB send to any tournament/event other than the ones you own? Where do your sponsorship dollars actually go? Chris and I have never taken a dime or one piece of donated merchandise from the operation of the Planet, how is SB set up and who do you donate the profits to? We try to raise money so we can DO MORE, you raise money so you can MAKE more. Not that there is problem with you making a profit, I'm simply asking what portion of your profits go back to the sport or to help anyone, we donate 100%.

BTW, what does it cost for someone to answer a question about his own product on SB and how much is a banner ad running these days? Oh, and yes we are offering sponsorships for $100/mo, thank you for the plug. Anyone that did not get what they paid for when sponsoring SB or SFM can advertise for free and anyone that got screwed out of a magazine subscription can get a free one from Spearing Magazine.

"All in good fun" eh buddy!

Last edited by hogsniper; 08-24-2010 at 01:35 PM.
hogsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #77
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

Re: Guess the Weight of the Warsaw Grouper Shot the Day of the 2010 St. Pete Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedhead View Post
BY THE WAY...how did it taste??? You did eat it right???
Wade(My friend) who shot the fish in question chopped that bitch up and fed all the people he wanted to. He wants nothing to do with this fight though.
Rick
Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #78
pantoja73

there should be a bubble deepest inmertion category in the SPO so some can be happy. blow bubbles deep doen't make anyone a good spearfisherman. It only makes you good at that 'blow bubbles.'
pantoja73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #79
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

I'm sure next year the rules will be clearly written. If changes are made 5 days before the tournement they will get posted on the respective boards. Not saved for a captains meeting supprise. Because as long as the rules are clear you can make any rule you want.
Rick
Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #80
kill shot
PELAGIC POKER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Steve, I did follow their rules after I "steamrolled" them to find out what the new rules were.

It should not have been done that way and they have admitted it.

Now back to the start of this thread:

I see you answered the poll Steve and I commend you for that.

The interesting thing is the answers are all over the map.

Let's get some more votes in.

Awe, typical that you would try to steamroll someone but if they tried that with you they get banned, talked shit about etc etc.

Then try to defer all the arguments by saying lets gets some more votes in on my fish that would have won. Well you didn't win and that is that. Big ****ing deal why make a big statement about it at the start of your post?

You obviously can't handle being called out on your own post without making it seem like someone else's fault.

Pretty unclassy on your part.

I would like to say if you want to ban me after these next few words then so be it. But you Tony are a piece of work(I'd like to say otherwise) and have never apologized for any wrong doing to anyone. I would say the same about the board but I like most everyone on here and that is the only reason I look here as I enjoy the community of everyone and what they contribute and the fact that I was lurking on here way before you owned it.

Last but not least, everyone make sure they vote.

Eric

Last edited by kill shot; 08-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.
kill shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #81
Flafishn

Send a message via AIM to Flafishn Send a message via Yahoo to Flafishn

I was with Wade when he shot this fish and we we in 80 feet of water. I knew the fish was not eligible for the tournament and really did not give a shit. I still dont. All I know is that my best friend and Dive partner shot his very personal best fish no matter what. If anyone thinks we took that fish to the tournament to start shit they are off base. We had to get to the Sunspree to weigh in after getting to the dock and loading the fish and getting them on the way.We had to change a flat on the side of 95 and take off the fender that was shredded that skin the rubber off the second tire and then made it to the weigh in line at almost 9 oclock. And after all the fish we weighed and the line was through we got the fish out of the room in a separate cooler and cleaned it and took one or two pictures of it. I dont know how they ended up with this picture but it was not to start schit.The fish had to be cleaned. It anyone looked at the fish they would have noticed it was not gutted. We never tried to weight the fish gutted.We weighed it on a 100 pound digital scale and it was 71.6 . Still the bottom line is the fish was my friends best fish of his diving career and we will never forget it.So not to fuel this Warsaw saga anymore . Good luck to all in the future and I hope you all have a good time trying to get something like this out of the sea.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #82
Mattedhead
Matt Head

I'm gonna bow out now....this is ridiculous.

Tony-
I wish you all the luck with your tournaments. I'm sure they
will continue to be a success just like your magazine.

Ring a bell?
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #83
B Lang

Heard about those. That is true character there.
B Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #84
Ryfish

I have no dog in this fight, but I find it so laughable that people are arguing over shooting fish on scuba and think it is some kind of challenge. Seeing girls shoot big fish (inc warsaw) just proves that any one can go out and do it. Watch the recent Sharktails Vid on the warsaw (which I like their vids alot) and the warsaw have little fear and even swim up to you. Also having speared on tanks it myself years ago ( I dove with a 65 year old that couldn't freedive any more and needed a dive partner) there is no challenge at all you do is wait for the fish to hole up and shoot away.

Now before any one goes and says these girls are great spearos.... yada yada. Yes they are and I think they need scuba to shoot fish and are good in their own right. But to have grown capable men arguing over shooting fish on scuba and who is better is a joke. When they are using scooters and lift bags its even a bigger joke...... Why not just get in a personal submarine and have fish seeking spears that shoot the fish for you.

Serious step back and look at the picture from a different angle.

Look at it this way its like comparing going out and hunting on public land on your own with a bow and taking on the animal one on one VS. going to a hunting preserve in Texas and having a guide drive you in the back of a pick-up truck pointing out the deer on a bait pile and you shooting it with a high powered gun. Which one is the hunter and which one is a shooter? Like I said not problem with it if you want some fresh meat, but don't brag and tell everyone your a big white hunter.

I also want to go on the record I have no problem with tank divers shooting fish if you want dinner, but do have a problem with grown capable men bragging about it like they are some kind of great spearo.
Ryfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #85
Gamble
NATIVE

Quote:
I'm gonna bow out now....this is ridiculous.

Tony-
I wish you all the luck with your tournaments. I'm sure they
will continue to be a success just like your magazine.

Ring a bell?

I've received 5 calls from various BBO sponsors today........ VERY interesting stuff. Maybe I should start a poll!?
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #86
sbh

"Seeing girls shoot big fish (inc warsaw) just proves that any one can go out and do it"

New can of worms there...just when I think its about over it gets even better....keeping me occupied between patients last few days, thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #87
hogsniper
Howie Scarboro

Send a message via Yahoo to hogsniper Send a message via Skype™ to hogsniper

Quote:
Tony-I wish you all the luck with your tournaments. I'm sure they will continue to be a success just like your magazine.

Ring a bell?
It was a highly respected former "good friend" of Tony's that got his arm twisted for a sponsorship and said that right after "no thank you, I only donate to non-profit or club based events". Once Tony was told no thank you, his tone changed dramatically as he scolded the ex-sponsor and threatened to remove all his posts if he didn't pay up. I actually have the entire email exchange if anyone would like to see it. All in good fun!

Doesn't really jive with Tony's recent post saying he doesn't care who sponsors or doesn't sponsor, he seemed pretty bent that this guy told him no and it's hard to believe anyone would be a dick to this sponsor. "You get what you pay for" and you get erased from SB when you don't pay at all.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #88
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Yea I agree scuba is for cheaters if they are healthy males. Any dive community outside of your cheating little world of US scuba divers spearos would agree. You guys are living in an isolated fantasy world thinking that what you do is a challenge....look at how scuba speari-g is illegal everywhere....bc anybody can do it and clean house with no experience.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #89
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Lang View Post
Heard about those. That is true character there.
Brandon, after reading all of these posts, my conclusion is that there are a lot of "characters" out there and they all know who they are.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #90
inletsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
Yea I agree scuba is for cheaters if they are healthy males. Any dive community outside of your cheating little world of US scuba divers spearos would agree. You guys are living in an isolated fantasy world thinking that what you do is a challenge....look at how scuba speari-g is illegal everywhere....bc anybody can do it and clean house with no experience.
Anybody can chum up the water and shoot fish with a float or reel attached, too. I've done it successfully, no big deal. When it comes down to it, I have always thought spearfishing is a pretty easy sport no matter what avenue you take. What I find hilarious is the typical freediver, like you, with your big ego and elitist attitude, cannot ever to seem to shoot a fish in the head. Big egos and ass shot fish. Welcome to freediving. We're the best, scuba sucks, center mass aim for the ass.
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote