Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Solomon Islands?

I'm most likely getting sent out to Honiara in the Solomon Islands for a minimum of 3 months for work starting in late January or early February. I've only managed to get a limited amount of spearing info for during that season, what little I've heard says that the fish go a bit deeper since the water warms up more.

If anyone can offer up any info or experiences for spearing out there I'd appreciate it for sure. I'll be heading out with at least 2 62"+ cannons and a 55" hybrid, couple of bungees and tons of floats... Just trying to see if I'll have to be diving like 90ft consistently or what
Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Re: Solomon Islands?

Oh come on, no one's ever dove the solomon islands or nearby surrounding areas?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Miamispear

How's it going Miguel. My name is Erick and I live in the Marshall Islands. I've been spearing here for 3 months. Congrats on your trip to the Pacific, you will see a lot of sea life! here are spearing tips: the water is clear on most days and it makes the fish more weary of divers. On the reefs, the fish will spook when you are diving down, be still n the fish will come back to you. Tip 2 the longer the range of the gun, the better (clear water). Tip 3 be ready to deal with with the sharks.
I'll type a lil more later.

www.Palmbeachfreedivers.com
Miamispear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Thanks much for the tips Erick, much appreciated! Are the pelagics quick to spook as well over there, or mainly just the reef fish? About how deep do you tend to find good hunting?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Shootin&Reelin
Movember

Dude.....Have a blast on your trip!!! I can only picture that kind of shit in my dreams.....sounds like you are going there prepared......Dive safe & SLAY-UM
Shootin&Reelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Don Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelT View Post
I'm most likely getting sent out to Honiara in the Solomon Islands for a minimum of 3 months for work starting in late January or early February. I've only managed to get a limited amount of spearing info for during that season, what little I've heard says that the fish go a bit deeper since the water warms up more.

If anyone can offer up any info or experiences for spearing out there I'd appreciate it for sure. I'll be heading out with at least 2 62"+ cannons and a 55" hybrid, couple of bungees and tons of floats... Just trying to see if I'll have to be diving like 90ft consistently or what
I only had time to tank dive the wrecks when I was there years ago Super clean water,lots of sharks and bring your longest gun.
Cheers, Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
Miamispear

I agree with Don. bring your largest gun(s) and extra bands, line, crimps, everything u need maintenance your equipment. You can find fish as shallow as 10 feet (unicornfish, parrots, surgeons) and up to 50 feet (trevally, groupers, snappers, dogtooth tuna of all sizes). U can also hunt bluewater for yellowfin, marlin, wahoo, etc. A guy who used to hunt in the Marshalls was chased out of the water by an oceanic whitetip while trying to spear yellowfins , he even wrote a really good article about it published in Hawaii skin diver mag. there is ciguatera toxin, talk to some of the locals and they'll fill you in, hey maybe you even find a dive buddy. Ask questions about areas before diving them.

Once last thing, pull ur fish up as fast as you can or the shark(s) will get a free meal ;0). enjoy and dive safe!

www.Palmbeachfreedivers.com
Miamispear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Kaimana

Here is a place I've been wanting to check out but I'm sure you can just rent a boat from Honiara and explore yourself. According to my friend who lives there boats can be a bit pricey though. Tons of sharks like the other guys said. These pics are from Honiara right in front of my friend house.

http://www.bluewatersolomons.com/spearfishing.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4886_2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	115673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4891_2.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	115674  
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana View Post
Here is a place I've been wanting to check out but I'm sure you can just rent a boat from Honiara and explore yourself. According to my friend who lives there boats can be a bit pricey though. Tons of sharks like the other guys said. These pics are from Honiara right in front of my friend house.

http://www.bluewatersolomons.com/spearfishing.htm

Wow, now that's a lot of sharks! I'll have access to a whole fleet of small pangas through work there, so no worries on the boat I've heard that honiara's not so good for diving though, does your buddy do good near his place or does he have to go an hour or so further out to get into better fish?
Old 11-19-2009, 03:12 AM   #10
Kaimana

My friend doesn't fish at all really. He's an avid surfer and says that's pretty average there compared to Indo. That particular spot is right in front of his house and he was just mucking around that day. Says there is always tons of sharks there.

That lodge is on Vangunu Island north-west of Honiara. I can't tell how far by boat but looks a lot longer than one hour. I know there are a ton of fish there (Doggies, Spanish mackerel, yellow fin tuna and ono). Plus a bunch of FADS you can dive.

Just get away from the more populated areas and explore. You'll find some sic spots for sure.
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
bigjack
quarterback killer

nice miguel are you working at PAF? I thought I saw you there
bigjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
braddm

Hi Miguel
I have recently returned from spearing in the Solomons - we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.
Water was warm and consistently very clear. We dived around a few of the islands with v nice drop offs and off some FADs - saw Dolphin Fish, GTs, Spanish, a Blue Marlin, Doggies up to 40kgs + plenty of reef species. Also plenty of sharks, but mostly reefies and whalers.

You will have a ball!

cheers
braddm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
BreathlessSight

I watch a special on discovery on Coral trout. They spawn in the solomons if Im not mistaken. Thousands of meter long CT's in schools of over 100+. Sharks of course but the footage was sick!!!
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote