Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
PigStikr
The Stalker

Artificial Kelp Paddy

Back in the day, headed down into Mex. waters, boats would load up on large cardboard boxes. Kelp paddies scarce? No problemo. Build a raft of cardboard, mark it, and move on. Repeat if necessary. On the way back up, yup, tiny new tenants from the depths - anchovies, sardines - will have taken up residence, and the pelagics will be there to take advantage.
Instant biodegradable ecosystem.
I know this will be controversial, so let the flames fly!
Old 04-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Artificial Kelp Paddy

Illegal, but one could use grass/seaweed that comes from the ocean?
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Illegal, but one could use grass/seaweed that comes from the ocean?
That's an interesting concept. I think there is a max 10# kelp you can harvest in CA, not sure in Mex. Eelgrass is protected I believe.
The other question is about boundaries. I know there is a boat that gillnets 3.001 miles off CI harbor because it is outside some kinda 3 mi. limit. There are also 12 mi and 200 mi limits, and there is some 'dumping' allowed I believe. 200 is int'l water.

There is also the idea of 'burley' that people do - dump fish guts etc. but liable to bring whitey.

Some people also dangle flashers from a bobbing buoy, I mount a couple on the muzzle of my gun.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:06 AM   #4
aus
squid

Damn pig sticker I thought you knew some things.
I thought wrong
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:13 AM   #5
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Damn pig sticker I thought you knew some things.
I thought wrong
Says the guy who struck out on bass, made a poor shot on a stupid goat instead, almost losing his gun in the process:

http://spearboard.com/showpost.php?p...21&postcount=1
Old 05-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
aus
squid

Wow what a great report! Loved that thanks for diving deep.

And I just stirred some shit see if you would get ticked and you did.

Mission accomplished haha no hard feelings pig sticker just doin what everybody else does on this site. Keep doing your thing
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Such a fond memory of mine Aus. That thing looked so big that day. Looking back now we were such kooks diving as hard as we could. That’s how you get better right!?

Pig sticker can you do me next? Gotta be some great kook reports of mine from the past ��

Back to the OP, I’ve heard of people picking up paddy’s close to shore on the way out and leaving them on current breaks right when they hit them with some success. Problem is the mess it makes on the deck. Tons of little critters and bits of kelp all over.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
PigStikr
The Stalker

Cardboard appears to be legal 25 miles offshore in US territorial waters:

https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/environment/laws/
Old 05-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
popgun pete

What about straw or hay bales, they are a natural material and could be flattened and be bound with twine in their new arrangement and shape using old school string?
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #10
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
What about straw or hay bales, they are a natural material and could be flattened and be bound with twine in their new arrangement and shape using old school string?
That would work although it might not be legal per the reference above - unless you use the straw for packaging material. Even pallets are legal as 'dunnage'.
Cardboard actually is a natural material. It is made from fast growing pine trees owned by paper mills that re-seed on harvest, thus being sustainable. It is broken down into pulp, then rolled and dried into kraft paper. The core is corrugated and bound to the skins with corn starch based glue.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
That would work although it might not be legal per the reference above - unless you use the straw for packaging material. Even pallets are legal as 'dunnage'.
Cardboard actually is a natural material. It is made from fast growing pine trees owned by paper mills that re-seed on harvest, thus being sustainable. It is broken down into pulp, then rolled and dried into kraft paper. The core is corrugated and bound to the skins with corn starch based glue.
Do you own a boat? Or are you proposing that other people litter in the ocean?

You probably use CD's as flashers too, right?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM   #12
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
Do you own a boat? Or are you proposing that other people litter in the ocean?

You probably use CD's as flashers too, right?
Two boats last count. Cardboard is made from wood and corn, provides an ecosystem while floating, provides nutrients when it dissolves. Win-win and it is legal per the above reference.
The flashers attached to my gun are made from salmon flashers. The ones you can attach to buoys ditto. You pull them out of the water when done spearing DUH.

EDIT:
BTW, if you're from SB there is a great spot for a small boat, IIRC. There is a pier at Gaviota State Beach with a crane on it. If you buy some 'certified' slings then it used to be you could use the self service crane to launch. Not sure if that is still true. Hope I didn't bust any 'secret spots'.

Last edited by PigStikr; 05-07-2020 at 05:04 AM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
Salty_Lovin'
Socencal

Gav pier has been down for 6+ years. No hoist or pier access thanks to storm damage that state parks was too cheap to fix.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #14
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_Lovin' View Post
Gav pier has been down for 6+ years. No hoist or pier access thanks to storm damage that state parks was too cheap to fix.
Bummer
Edit:
It used to be they had a hard time keeping the crane operational due to vandalism by the hollister ranch-holes trying to block access to 'their' beaches, particularly for surfing.
It is really protected though, and a small RIB surf launch might be possible on a good day if it is legal.

Last edited by PigStikr; 05-10-2020 at 01:28 PM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote