Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Keysspearoo

Cubera hunting

Hey guys,

I was looking back on some past trips and realized that i have only shot a handful of cuberas in the keys. When ive shot them, i wasnt really targeting them i was just laying on the bottom and they swam by l(also never shot one over 10lbs, looking to get a big one). Anyone want to give me some tips on how to find more of them? Now that grouper and hogs are closed snapper are my primary targets on the reef, and shooting mangroves gets pretty old after a long day of filling the cooler with nothing but them. Where to look, depth, chum, hunting strategies? Anything would help.

Thanks
Keysspearoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
primalpete

Re: Cubera hunting

Wrecks. The deeper the better.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
captain.ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysspearoo View Post
Hey guys,

I was looking back on some past trips and realized that i have only shot a handful of cuberas in the keys. When ive shot them, i wasnt really targeting them i was just laying on the bottom and they swam by l(also never shot one over 10lbs, looking to get a big one). Anyone want to give me some tips on how to find more of them? Now that grouper and hogs are closed snapper are my primary targets on the reef, and shooting mangroves gets pretty old after a long day of filling the cooler with nothing but them. Where to look, depth, chum, hunting strategies? Anything would help.

Thanks
I usually see them in +50 feet down here but I've seen some huge ones on wrecks over 180 feet. They seem to be pretty solitary animals. I say that because I seldom see more than 1 on a wreck or ledge. But I think that may be due mainly because of overfishing and a slow growth rate (observation, not science). In west Africa we found them everywhere...surf, rivers, ocean. Anywhere a rocky ledge existed from 10 to 100 feet (I'm sure they were deeper too) and they ranged from 5-70 lbs. There were larger ones but we seldom landed the big boys (over 50lbs) because they are strong as he'll and fight dirty. We fished for them mainly at night which may also explain why we don't see them as often in the keys...i don't spear at night.
Cubera have good eyesight and are very wary. I think patience (not blasting the first thing you see) might lead to seeing them more often. I'm always amazed at how many big fish will come in-range if you drop on the same spot 2 or 3 times without shooting a fish. Let the animals get comfortable seeing you and then stick one.

My 2 cents...

Ed M.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Mcdiver matt

Cubera hunting

I’ve shot four Over 10 years down here, the largest was 14 pounds. The smaller ones I’ve seen in groups of two or three sometimes. Most of my experience is patch reef in 50 feet or less. Ed,great advice about not shooting the first fish you see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
FalconSpearo

This little guy was about 28 inches in 25 feet of water. Very spooked. Running fast around the reef. He knew who I was and what I was doing. So I strategically herded him like a sheep farmer into a nice "safe" rock. Sure enough he went inside it. I went down from far away and worked my way close to the floor and slowly. We stared each other eye to eye. I took a long shot hoping to unicorn him because he was very spooked. He turns and goes deep inside the rock. I stuck half my body in the rock (very uncomfortable shot), had to use my left hand (I am right-handed) and I put the flashlight in my mouth and shot him. He wedged himself deeper. After 1.5 hours, fighting off sharks and morey eels, I pulled him out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	237565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	237566  
Old 03-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconSpearo View Post
After 1.5 hours, fighting off sharks and morey eels, I pulled him out.
Damn, you're a trooper. It looks like it's been thru a wrasslin' match.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote