Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 07-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Onebignut

Free Diving Course Worth It?

there’s a free diving course being offered in Montauk this September. I don’t have $4-600 to spend but do these courses really justify that kind of price?

Details:
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...f=group_browse
Onebignut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
kon

Re: Free Diving Course Worth It?

If the instructor is good, then yes, without a doubt. My wife and I did level 1 and 2 FII courses a couple of years ago, and I remember wishing that I had taken both much sooner. Learning about physiology and how the human body works with freediving is very helpful, but just as important are the breathing and diving techniques they teach. If that course only goes to 20m depth, then I'd encourage taking a second level course to learn how to go past 30m, that's where I got the most value and what helped me advance past the level I was at. But you may want to consider shopping around, I think prices may vary depending on instructor and organization.
kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
slipperyrock

Re: Free Diving Course Worth It?

@onebignut I took that course with Ben two years ago. I would highly recommend taking it. He is a class act and you will benefit from it no matter your skill level.

As for the money, it is a lot for sure but it is an investment. The information you will pick up in the course will make you a more confident and safe diver. You can pass this knowledge on to your buddies as well and use the techniques you learn in your training.

I have heard many guys say they wont do the course because they know what theyre doing or could pick up the information via books and the internet. That being said, I thought it was interesting that there were multiple divers in my course with
10+ years experience and many big fish under their belts.

I will be doing part of the course again this year at a discounted rate because I am returning and hope to see you there. If you have any specific questions feel free to hit me up.
slipperyrock is offline   Reply With Quote