Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Benny

Living in LA, what works for you? What doesn't?

I am looking to move down south to be closer to my kid. She lives in Simi Valley, and I'm looking for work in LA, Ventura, SB, anywhere within a reasonable distance of Simi and the coast.

I work in aviation and can find work in all sorts of areas in LA. The problem is, I don't want to live in the belly of the beast, nor do I want to commute for an hour and a half one way. I am not very familiar with LA, but from what time I have spent in the area plus what geographically makes sense for me, Ventura seems like it would be ideal. I'd like to work in Ventura or Oxnard which puts me near the water and close to my kid. BUT, I don't know Ventura. Is it chill, are there some welcoming local pubs, or cool restaurants, etc.

I'll be looking to buy a place at some point soon but for the time being I can rent. I'd like to keep it under $1800 and at least a 2 bed house. In your experience, is the Ventura/Oxnard area good to go or where do you recommend? I surf, dive, and will definitely get a seaworthy boat. I just want to be in an area that is gonna cater to that lifestyle, and put me within 30-40 minutes of my kid.

I can commute to to work but I don't want to find a job somewhere, then lock into a lease and come to find out its logistically impossible too get to work in less than 2 hours.

What works for you? What doesn't?
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Re: Living in LA, what works for you? What doesn't?

Ventura is nice. You might find a place in Hawthorne, or Torrance on the west side of the 405. Maybe, but it would be tough to find, a place in Redondo. (All LAX locale related, maybe Burbank airport) There is a lot of turf between Encino and the airport.... but traffic is a logistical nightmare.
Below that, Lakewood, parts of Long Beach, Cerritos, down to HB, maybe Costa Mesa. (Long Beach airport and John Wayne related.)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
WESTBURY

Camarillo is a great place to live. Plus it's closer to Simi than Ventura. Weather is better too.
Centrally located to Malibu and both harbors
Not sure about rent though.

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Ventura is nice. You might find a place in Hawthorne, or Torrance on the west side of the 405. Maybe, but it would be tough to find, a place in Redondo. (All LAX locale related, maybe Burbank airport) There is a lot of turf between Encino and the airport.... but traffic is a logistical nightmare.
Below that, Lakewood, parts of Long Beach, Cerritos, down to HB, maybe Costa Mesa. (Long Beach airport and John Wayne related.)
Thanks for the feedback. A couple of the jobs I'm looking into could put me working Van Nuys. Might have to look into a place North of there. I'd rather find work at Pt. Magu. I think the thing that is so appealing to me about Ventura and surrounding area is that its kind of out there by itself. Looking at the map Torrance, Long Beach, etc, seem like I'd die of extreme old age trying to make it to Simi mid day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBURY View Post
Camarillo is a great place to live. Plus it's closer to Simi than Ventura. Weather is better too.
Centrally located to Malibu and both harbors
Not sure about rent though.
Ya seems like thousand oaks and camarillo are reasonable as far as rent and maybe even within the realm of buying a house. Is the weather in Ventura gloomy/marine layer?
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #5
WESTBURY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
Thanks for the feedback. A couple of the jobs I'm looking into could put me working Van Nuys. Might have to look into a place North of there. I'd rather find work at Pt. Magu. I think the thing that is so appealing to me about Ventura and surrounding area is that its kind of out there by itself. Looking at the map Torrance, Long Beach, etc, seem like I'd die of extreme old age trying to make it to Simi mid day.

Ya seems like thousand oaks and camarillo are reasonable as far as rent and maybe even within the realm of buying a house. Is the weather in Ventura gloomy/marine layer?
Like any coastal community, it can be. I think I was two summers ago, it was foggy all summer. This summer was pretty good.

T.O. Is much hotter than Camarillo as it doesn't have the coastal influence.
I think all home prices in the Ventura county area
Can be pricey but as you know, location is everything.
Born and raised in VC so pm if I can help out.

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #6
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post

I can sympathize..... You could not get me to live in Van Nuys/ Simi, or a lot of the areas near the 405/101 junction. Just too much congestion, in an already congested world. I'd go Ventura, Camarillo by far.
As to going to see your daughter, I'd work out a traffic plan of action, and steer clear of the valley as much as I could. Yeah, I know; it's just another place to live. Everything has its' issues. But your sanity has a price as well...... and that kind of incessant traffic and compression is tough to accept for any length of time.

Then again, Honolulu/ Waikiki traffic is literally insane nowadays, and when I go back home..... I do not even venture to that side of the island on a freeway, just.... because.