Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #61
Thin man

Re: What is up with this spearfishing closure at Biscayne National Park?

Yeah, I got an email from NPS stating the same. The biggest change will be the marine reserve zone proposed in Alternative 4 of the most recent proposals. The Herald article uses a quote at the end in which the interviewed speaks about a bleaching event and there is nothing in the plan to account for water discharge, only fishing/anchoring. It looks to me like emotional people making decisions that lack the complete backing of science. While I understand making reserves within a national park to maintain its integrity, I would like to see the policy makers working to change all of the contributing factors and not simply one factor. The Dry Tortugas is often cited as an example of what can happen through reserves, but it doesn't have the same urban sprawl as a neighbor affecting water quality as Biscayne does.
That's just little ol' me....it's government so it will probably take a couple years for any actual changes to be made.
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote