Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The 2006 Hell Divers Rodeo

The 2006 Hell Divers Rodeo This is the place to talk about the upcoming tournament, and post post tournament results and photos!

Old 05-31-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
ROCK BOTTOM

Rules modification - Bluewater Division

We just got word from the Fish Nazis that we will be in violation of some of the regulations regarding Highly Migratory Species if we allow the spearing of Yellowfin Tuna at the Hell Divers Rodeo. As of today, the bluewater category for Yellowfin Tuna is now changed to Tuna, General. Yellowfin, Big Eye and any other tunas that are regulated under ICCAT or any other HMS regulation are not to be taken for the purposes of this tournament. The Tuna, General category will include Blackfin Tuna and Atlantic Bonita as well as Little Tunny and any other non regulated species.

I understand that the recreational take of YFT is regulated to permit holders only and that speargun is not a listed gear type for legal take, but why make this an issue at this point. The agent knows that the change in verbage is in the works (due out in August and effective for the start of 2006 is what I am told). Locally they have refrained from enforcing this and looked at spearing as the same as harpooning.

Also, why would the enforcement guys in the Carolinas (where he is from) be so concerned about our local activities. This particular enforcement agent actually called around to the local charter operators to bust their balls about the spearing of YFT. I am really confused.

Also, if you have YFT (or any HMS) as a tournament category, you need to apply for an additional permit at least 4 weeks in advance of the event.

Oh, and I was also told that the new amendment that will legalize speargun as a gear type will not apply to Sharks and that we will probably never see that category open to spear harvest.

Denny, I need to talk with you tonight. 504-628-1174. Please call me.

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote