Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
DestroyerOfEVIL

Hand Tools Only Speargun Build

I've decided to try spearfishing after I first became interested 2 years ago. Step 1: building the gun I never got around to! I prefer using hand tools (and I don't own any power tools anyway), so I'll be completing this build 100% by hand.

The wood I am using is sapele.

I ripped the board into three 1.75x1x42 inch (4.5x2.5x105 cm) boards, which were then each ripped into 6 boards .5 inches (1.25 cm) thick.

(I know that the sawing isn't really worth mentioning, but I just wanted to show that you don't need a table saw to do it.)

For the glue up, only 5 of the 6 boards were used. The 6th one was just used to better distribute the pressure.

And now we wait! Unfortunately I don't have much time, so it only gets a week to warp. It's being kept outside in hot, humid Texas, so I think it should do most of it's movement pretty quickly.

Last edited by DestroyerOfEVIL; 05-30-2017 at 10:02 AM.
DestroyerOfEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
DestroyerOfEVIL

Re: Hand Tools Only Speargun Build

Looks like the pictures didn't work. I tried using the image link for imgur. Anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited by DestroyerOfEVIL; 05-29-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerOfEVIL View Post
Looks like the pictures didn't work. I tried using the image link for imgur. Anyone know how to fix this?
I think I might be able to help out. You might be copying the "wrong" link from Imgur.
This is what I do:
  1. When, in Imgur, you have the pic you wanna post here, hover you cursor over the pic. A drop menu will pop up in the top right hand corner of the pic. From that drop down menu choose "get share links".

2. A new box with four options will come up. Pick the one on the lower left "BBCode (Forums)".

3. Copy that link and just paste it within the message box in this forum (don't insert as pic).

Alternatively, if you are using the normal copy function that pops up as soon as you hover over the pic and then insert as an image in this forum by using the little yellow landscape icon on top of the message box, then you have to manually add ".jpg" (without the quotation marks) at the end of the link you are pasting (just before the [/img]). I don't know why you have to do this, but you do;-)
So, as an example a modified link like that should look like this:

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 05-30-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
DestroyerOfEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
I think I might be able to help out. You might be copying the "wrong" link from Imgur.
This is what I do:
  1. When, in Imgur, you have the pic you wanna post here, hover you cursor over the pic. A drop menu will pop up in the top right hand corner of the pic. From that drop down menu choose "get share links".

2. A new box with four options will come up. Pick the one on the lower left "BBCode (Forums)".

3. Copy that link and just paste it within the message box in this forum (don't insert as pic).

Alternatively, if you are using the normal copy function that pops up as soon as you hover over the pic and then insert as an image in this forum by using the little yellow landscape icon on top of the message box, then you have to manually add ".jpg" (without the quotation marks) at the end of the link you are pasting (just before the [/img]). I don't know why you have to do this, but you do;-)
So, as an example a modified link like that should look like this:
Thank you! I can't believe I used the wrong link.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
FreediveCA

Look forward to the progress. You say you've decided to try spearfishing after a couple of years of interest. Have you been spearfishing yet or is this build your first gun and once it's ready you are going to give spearfishing a try?
FreediveCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
DestroyerOfEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreediveCA View Post
Look forward to the progress. You say you've decided to try spearfishing after a couple of years of interest. Have you been spearfishing yet or is this build your first gun and once it's ready you are going to give spearfishing a try?
I have never been spearfishing before, however I have used a speargun in a pool many times, so I am familiar with how to use one. The reason I have never been spearfishing before is because the regulations here in Texas make it very difficult to do any shore diving, but I've decided that I might as well try to just go off some of the jetties.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
FreediveCA

Cool. So is this going to be a freshwater gun or do you intend on taking it to the gulf? What size are you planning?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
DestroyerOfEVIL

Quote:
Cool. So is this going to be a freshwater gun or do you intend on taking it to the gulf? What size are you planning?
It will be used for shorediving in the gulf and will be about 95 cm.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
FreediveCA

Whenever I go visit the in-laws I want to make a trip down to the Gulf. Just too damn far from Dallas. From what I hear visibility is poor so a short gun is the way to go if you're shorediving.

If you are basing your overall size off what you have read keep in mind that most guns are measured by their band stretch, not their overall length. So if you have been reading up and found a 95 to be the best option you may come to find that you are shorter than anticipated. When you hear guys say they are shooting a 100 or a 120 that is not including the muzzle, handle, loading pad, etc. If you made that decision with this in mind you can disregard all of this.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
phil herranen

Quote:
Whenever I go visit the in-laws I want to make a trip down to the Gulf. Just too damn far from Dallas. From what I hear visibility is poor so a short gun is the way to go if you're shorediving.

If you are basing your overall size off what you have read keep in mind that most guns are measured by their band stretch, not their overall length. So if you have been reading up and found a 95 to be the best option you may come to find that you are shorter than anticipated. When you hear guys say they are shooting a 100 or a 120 that is not including the muzzle, handle, loading pad, etc. If you made that decision with this in mind you can disregard all of this.
Most wood guns are overall mesurement, most euros are barrel leinth ,pathos is barrel plus to the back reverse mech to seem longer , abellan is some mesurement from the muzzle to the front of the reverse trigger to seem smaller . Most wood guns are in inches but Ulusub is in mm ,the only standard is that there is none

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
FreediveCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
Most wood guns are overall mesurement, most euros are barrel leinth ,pathos is barrel plus to the back reverse mech to seem longer , abellan is some mesurement from the muzzle to the front of the reverse trigger to seem smaller . Most wood guns are in inches but Ulusub is in mm ,the only standard is that there is none
While everything you said is true, I wasn't giving a brand by brand sizing. I was simply providing what spearos term as a 100, 120, etc. in general so if he was reading all these guys from his area saying "100 is the way to go," he knows that there is a probability that is not the overall length they are referring to. Also, I believe Ulusub measures in cm not mm. Those would be some small guns otherwise.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Gary H
gangsta' speargun pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroyerOfEVIL View Post
(I know that the sawing isn't really worth mentioning, but I just wanted to show that you don't need a table saw to do it.)
For anybody that has ever done much hand-sawing it is certainly worth mentioning - that is a lot of work!

I hope you used filler for the glue-up?

Fishing is like sex, you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #13
DestroyerOfEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
For anybody that has ever done much hand-sawing it is certainly worth mentioning - that is a lot of work!

I hope you used filler for the glue-up?
I did not use any filler, but I wasn't using epoxy, I was using polyurethane glue. I didn't think filler would be necessary, but I've been wrong before. . .
Old 06-01-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
[...]pathos is barrel plus to the back reverse mech to seem longer [...]
Not sure if I am reading you correctly but my Pathos 100 has a barrel which is 100cm on the dot. Yes, it has a reverse mech which is why it ends up having an 108cm band stretch. Also, Pathos likes minimal overhang on many of their models, so a 100 Open Pro will have a 130cm shaft where most other euros would have a 140 cm shaft. But the gun itself still measures as a traditional 100 euro, I would think?
(Sorry, for the derail, just wanted to address this one.)
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
DestroyerOfEVIL

Here's a picture of the bottom of the gun. . . I'm assuming the gun is shit. The top looks fine, and the bottom is okay in most places, but there are just some spots that look like this. I've already done the track and the recess for the mechanism, so I hope I don't have to start over, but I'm worried I might have to.