Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #121
bltpyro

Re: Utah Visibility Overview (please contribute!)

Hit up Deer Creek on Sat at the end of Wallsburg Bay. The water is super low. At the end of they bay there is now a small stream coming into the reservoir with grass and weeds all around it that normally would just be all water. Visibility was 3-5ft. Saw tons of bass and one group of 5 walleye. My bro took one bass and I took one walleye.

I haven't made or bought a proper GoPro mount, so no shots of actual spearfishing, but did get shots of some juvenile fish. It was kinda fun just taking video without a spear, just wish the vis was better. One fish really like the GoPro flat lens. Another decided to move in under my float.

bltpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #122
CCR Josh
Sponsor

I had a "less than ideal"morning at Fish Lake....

Made a quick run out there Wed morning. The vis was less than what I have seen at Fish lake the last couple years (maybe 12-14 feet), BUT we had some serious cloud cover and with it going dark, we could only see maybe 8 feet. Other than the clouds, the conditions were very nice.

I took a friend on his first outing, with his brand new gun. We shot a bunch of suckers for practice, and then ended up getting a couple nice trout that will make for some good eating.

I can't complain, because it was still good as far as Utah waters go, but Fish lake can be MUCH better. Not sure if it was the wind the night before or what.

Still loading products into our online store, so let me know if you don't see what you are looking for
CCR Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #123
HowdIgetSoLucky

My son and I went to Causey Saturday morning (8-11-12). Hoping to take advantage of some early quiet on the lake. On Saturdays it can get a lot of use from fisherman along the banks as well as a few canoes, kayaks and swimmers. At 7 am we were early enough to beat the majority of people. It had stormed the night before and the visibility was down from my previous 2 visits at times it was up to 10 feet near the cliffs by the dam. As we moved up the north (far left) finger the vis dropped to 5 feet. We were out of the water by 11am and we saw a total of one fish in 3 hours, a 12 inch rainbow.
HowdIgetSoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #124
Istickfish

Deer creek had the best visibility I have seen all year on friday, 10-15 ft in places. Two of us shot 56 carp and some bass and walleye for dinner. Felt good to be in the water again it had been a few weeks too long.
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #125
bltpyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istickfish View Post
Deer creek had the best visibility I have seen all year on friday, 10-15 ft in places. Two of us shot 56 carp and some bass and walleye for dinner. Felt good to be in the water again it had been a few weeks too long.
Nice. I haven't been for a few weeks. Was that in the main channel or Walsburg for the good vis?
bltpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #126
Istickfish

Main channel
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #127
xanderbp

Went to Starvation yesterday and did really well. Vis was really good when we first got there, 8-10 feet at 7 am but went down dramatically with in just a couple of hours. By 10 it was around 3-5 feet. Lots of boat traffic and this coming weekend there is a walleye tournament for H&L. We did see a lot of big walleye about 20 feet down. Took one that was 11 lbs and a few smaller ones as well.
xanderbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #128
xanderbp

Couple of pics of yesterdays catch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big walleye.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	178230   Click image for larger version

Name:	walleye 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	178231  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #129
Awallace1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbp View Post
Went to Starvation yesterday and did really well. Vis was really good when we first got there, 8-10 feet at 7 am but went down dramatically with in just a couple of hours. By 10 it was around 3-5 feet. Lots of boat traffic and this coming weekend there is a walleye tournament for H&L. We did see a lot of big walleye about 20 feet down. Took one that was 11 lbs and a few smaller ones as well.
It was a great day I had tons of fun
Awallace1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #130
CCR Josh
Sponsor

We had a bunch of people down at Fish Lake for our 2nd annual Extravaganza event on Spet 1st, and most reports coming in were abou 12 ft vis lake-wide. We didn't have the best weather, but it was still a blast.

I only was in the water for a few hours near Joes Bush, anyone else that was down there have any more info about vis anywhere else in the lake?

Still loading products into our online store, so let me know if you don't see what you are looking for
CCR Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #131
HowdIgetSoLucky

Fish Lake, the south end is shallow and has 2-4 feet of soft bottom (mush) before hitting anything solid. Vis was poor <5 until you got out far enough to hit 20+ feet, then it was about 8-10' but no fish. Did not see any good fish. On the south west side vis was a tiny bit better but still mucked up pretty good. The wind had been blowing most of the day though. Saw carp and suckers. The north side was better overall with 10+ ft in places and even 14-15 ft. I expect better from fish lake. The tournament was a blast however!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #132
HowdIgetSoLucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbp View Post

An 11 LB Walleye is fantastic! Well done. I am trying to clear my schedule so I can get up there on a week day before it gets cold. It will be my first trip, any suggestions of where to put in? Thanks.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #133
xanderbp

Around the dam seems really good and there are several camp grounds and access points all over the place. So getting to any area on the lake is pretty easy. Some of the H&L guys were saying they had been seeing a lot of carp on the northern end of the lake but we never made it up there.

How did the tournament go Josh? I wanted to come down for it but had some teeth work done on Friday and couldn’t make it.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #134
Paul Benson
Mi nombre es Ben

That walleye is freakin amazing!! Im bummed we couldn't meet up before I had to head back to Laramie.
Paul Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #135
Andrew Makely

Harley Guy- If you are back in Laramie we have to go try at Alcova up by Casper some time this fall. If the algae is back off the vis should be good.
Andrew Makely is offline   Reply With Quote