Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #1
Miami5051

Soft carbon blades

Currently using c4 Skorpio fins 25 stiffness, would actually like a fin a little bit softer. Had some leaderfins in a a carbon fiber over glass in a medium stiffness. Loved the leaderfins but they just aren't durable, cracked a couple fin blades. Looking for a durable soft fin, which is fairly narrow, not more than 19.5 wide. Any thoughts???
Miami5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
parker

Re: Soft carbon blades

Are you using footpockets with tendon rails? If so, I suggest cutting the tendons off. Leave them just long enough to overlap the fin rails by about 1/2" or so (the mounting rails that are glued to the blades. Then put a spot of super glue to hold the nubby tendons to the fin rails.

Don't be afraid. My experience is that high-end blades like C4, DiveR, and Moana are plenty strong enough to do without foot pocket tendons.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #3
parker

Re: Soft carbon blades

This pic shows my old Stingray footpockets (in the background) that I first cut down to nubs. Now I use Pathos pockets with the tendons cut short. My thought is the footpocket tendons dampen/retard the blades' performance. With the tendons cut short, the blades feel noticeably more responsive to me. I'm very pleased with the improved performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2832-14-01-18-07-41.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	236535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2830-14-01-18-07-41.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	236536  
parker is offline   Reply With Quote