Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
AlexbeeintheUK

Lung Training

So i was flicking through some sites earlier and came across these lung trainers, namely This One from Mako, does anyone use these? Do you get results? Should i just suck air in thru the gaps in my teeth instead?
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Re: Lung Training

~~ "Should I suck air through the gaps in my teeth instead?"

~~ That is how it works! ~
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
AlexbeeintheUK

Seriously, someone suggested i get a straw and pinch it about half way and inhale/exhale a few times
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

You know Alex, I've tried all that for the last 50 years, and I think that the best way is ----just hunt.
Since you really can dive every day, you time will increase.
Also add some additional aerobic exercise to you daily routine, jogging is the most effective,efficient means.
However, my personal belief is you can substitute lots of great sex instead!
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Co2 / o2 tables, iPhone has the apnea trainer, I use this when I'm at sea and on nav watch. It's works well. Also I do cardio here an there And when I go up and down 4 flights of stairs from main deck to bridge I hold my breath. If I could dive everyday that would be my main source. When I am home and the viz is bad, I train in natural springs around Florida. Also try taking a class that will train you, there's plenty of schools to try out. That would be a solid suggestion if you want to learn how to double your time. Learn technique. Hope I could give you an idea. Dive safe.
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
TeamRuiner
Freedive!

I have heard of ppl using plastic bottles with small holes in them... But JUST GO DIVE!
TeamRuiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
AlexbeeintheUK

Easier said than done, working 6 days a week doesn't leave many open windows for a dive so i usually go every Saturday afternoon. I try holding my breath whilst at my desk but even without gulping it just feels uncomfortable on my chest, not really sure how to explain it. When i'm in the water and have full lungs i feel fine. My avg dive time is 60 seconds at 40 or 50ft.
I do like the water bottle idea with some pin holes
Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Like I said I don't see the water for month/months at a time. Try moving around while holding. At a steady pace. And yoga practices are also a big plus.

Check out the manual of freediving.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

I would recommend against this device. What it does is cause resistance against the respiratory muscles (just like a weight does when you're working out your biceps). The problem is when diving you want all of your respiratory muscles, namely the diaphragm and intercostal muscles to be as flexible as possible so that they can stretch as your lungs compress the deeper you go.

Diaphragm and chest flexibility is a HUGE factor for freediving. Another thing is knowing how to use your lungs to their full capacity.... how to fill them properly.

If anything, I would recommend doing O2/CO2 tables lying on your couch. No need to do these table in the water...

Remember, any breath-hold activity in the water requires a dedicated safety buddy with you at all times.... tactile distance from you.

Good luck.

Peace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Well said.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
bltpyro

I don't have any opinions of the device, but I do want to challenge the reason that comes up most of the time for not using the lung training devices. Namely "They make your chest muscles stronger which decreases their flexibility."

Although strength training can lead to decreased flexibility, correct strength training can also help increase flexibility. Some of the strongest athletes out there are some of the most flexible as well. So I don't think it is a completely valid argument by itself. Maybe these devices aren't the ideal method of strengthening these muscles, but I would think some method of strength training for these muscles combined with stretching would produce the best results for flexibility.
bltpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
anthropisces

I have a breathing exercise device they gave me in the hospital. I use it and try to take as long a breath as possible. Adds no perceptible resistance
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Kelp Hugger
Solikai.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
Diaphragm and chest flexibility is a HUGE factor for freediving.
I took a PFI class a ways back but have forgotten the training exercises.

Can anyone recommend any good videos or forums for learning diaphragm and chest flexibility exercises?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltpyro View Post
I don't have any opinions of the device, but I do want to challenge the reason that comes up most of the time for not using the lung training devices. Namely "They make your chest muscles stronger which decreases their flexibility."

Although strength training can lead to decreased flexibility, correct strength training can also help increase flexibility. Some of the strongest athletes out there are some of the most flexible as well. So I don't think it is a completely valid argument by itself. Maybe these devices aren't the ideal method of strengthening these muscles, but I would think some method of strength training for these muscles combined with stretching would produce the best results for flexibility.
Very interesting and valid points. I'm going to do a little research.
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
TeamRuiner
Freedive!

Maybe like you said, strength plus flexibity training?! I have heard peoria who think too much cardio vascular work decreases performance in apnea. Huh...
TeamRuiner is offline   Reply With Quote