Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
wldlfbio

Tilapia at Blue Lake

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Blue lake being opened to spearfishing. And what you think of how they set it up.
wldlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
bltpyro

Re: Tilapia at Blue Lake

I think it's great except that the only time I want to go to blue lake is not during the spearfish season. It really needs to be year round for Blue lake.
bltpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
wldlfbio

I agree whole heartedly. Tilapia ia the only invasive species in UT with a season. Makes no biological sense at all.

I wish they would have opened the tilapia season yr round. If they had to have a six month season I think Dec-May would have made more sense. It would have had the potential to seperate the spearo's from the fisherman and scuba divers.
wldlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Paul Benson
Mi nombre es Ben

How is the fish population there? Would it be worth a trip if it were made legal?
Paul Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
drbabs

isnt the season dec to dec like the burbot at FG and the stripers at powell??
o
<*)))))))=<
drbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
CCR Josh
Sponsor

I attended a meeting with the state wildlife peeps and the USFA (Utah Spearfishing Association) - the state promised us it would be open year around next year. They admit it was purely a mistake that cannot be changed until next year.

Big changes coming for next year.... mostly in our favor! Watch out for a list of new waters (in the double digits) and also some more year around waters as well.

We have done a horrible job of updating our website, but the USFA does have a facebook which is probably the best way to stay in touch right now. http://www.facebook.com/UtahSpearfishingAssociation

Still loading products into our online store, so let me know if you don't see what you are looking for
CCR Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
CCR Josh
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldlfbio View Post
I agree whole heartedly. Tilapia ia the only invasive species in UT with a season. Makes no biological sense at all.
It is definitely not the ONLY. USFA has been working with the state to get many more opened up in 2014....

Still loading products into our online store, so let me know if you don't see what you are looking for
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
drbabs

Josh, im in bluffdale. Do you ever dive at blue lake? is it crazy on the weekends. Im thinking of heading there this sat morning.
o
<*)))))))=<
drbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
CCR Josh
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabs View Post
Josh, im in bluffdale. Do you ever dive at blue lake? is it crazy on the weekends. Im thinking of heading there this sat morning.
I have been to Blue Lake way too many times spread over the last 16 years since I have been diving... not something I am particularly proud of though

It can definitely get crazy on the weekends, but it can be really nice if the weather has been decent and the university open water classes are not out there.

I participated in a experimental spearfishing day there in 2011 with the Utah fish and game guys. It went fairly well... no huge tilapia taken, but it was still fun. This was basically the birth of the idea of USFA - we just barely put the idea into motion last October I think it was. So far we have been making some real positive impressions.

Viz is hit and miss... but I have seen 20' or so on good days several times over the last few years.

Let us know how it is on Sat if you go... and let us know what kind of Tilapia you see!