Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
hydroid

Sit in vs Sit on?

Which would be better for spearfishing?
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
battleborn702

Re: Sit in vs Sit on?

Sit on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
battleborn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #3
North Star
Max

Sit on is the ONLY way to go. Sit in will be extremely difficult to get in and out of with out swamping and sinking it.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Sanny

sit in is a bit more of a hassle to get in and out of the water from, but two of my buddies have used them (one still does). The bigger bummer is finding a good place to stow all your gear with a sit in boat- and how to attach it all if you do dump it. FWIW I use two ankle straps from (broken) surfboard leashes to lash guns to the kayak that are too long to fit into a hatch. Take a fin key and remove the ankle strap from the (snapped) rope and thread a leash string through the hole in the swivel and an tie down spot on the boat- just remember to orient the spear tip to the rear of the boat.
But I agree hands down that a sit on top is the only way to go!

Last edited by Sanny; 04-16-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: more info
Sanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
dirkbeachman
james dean

definitely sit on top. you want to be totally waterproof and unsinkable, especially coming in through waves. I know hot shot sit-in kayaker surf some significant waves, but they aren't your average diver coming in tired and chilled after a few hours in the water and loaded with fish/abs, anchor, gun, or other gear.
and with a sit on top, you can't have too many short ropes with clips on the end. clip everything down on the way in for sure
dirkbeachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #6
Ron S

Before I became a diver I was an avid kayaker. I had paddled a couple of short, fat, slow sit on tops and compared to my long, fast sit in's, they were terrible. As a result, when I started diving, I really wanted to make use of my sea kayak. Fortunately a buddy, who was a very good freediver and a better kayaker than I, tried using his yak for diving. Tried outriggers, paddle floats, etc. His conclusion was it just wasn't the tool for the job.

I followed his advice. I now use an OC Scupper Pro, which is about as close to sit in kayak feel and performance as I could find in a sit on top. I absolutely love it for diving and fishing! And I used to turn up my nose at sit on tops, as they're not "real" kayaks...

Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #7
Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
Before I became a diver I was an avid kayaker. I had paddled a couple of short, fat, slow sit on tops and compared to my long, fast sit in's, they were terrible. As a result, when I started diving, I really wanted to make use of my sea kayak. Fortunately a buddy, who was a very good freediver and a better kayaker than I, tried using his yak for diving. Tried outriggers, paddle floats, etc. His conclusion was it just wasn't the tool for the job.

I followed his advice. I now use an OC Scupper Pro, which is about as close to sit in kayak feel and performance as I could find in a sit on top. I absolutely love it for diving and fishing! And I used to turn up my nose at sit on tops, as they're not "real" kayaks...

Ron.
looks like
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Discontinued
Old 04-22-2016, 03:27 AM   #8
Ocean

RTM Tempo Angler
same but also can't find this yet in us
Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 AM   #9
hydroid

Just a day after my first post on this question, I had a guy give me an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro. It's been sitting outside awhile and a little sun faded but overall in pretty good condition. I can't wait to get out there.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
Just a day after my first post on this question, I had a guy give me an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro. It's been sitting outside awhile and a little sun faded but overall in pretty good condition. I can't wait to get out there.
That's great!
Now, a little about the Scupper pro. It's a bit narrower than most other boats, so feels initially tippy. That means it lacks primary stability. The good news is that as a result it has good secondary stability. That means you'll have better control of the boat than the waves will. Once you get used to it, you'll appreciate it.
The scupper's also a pretty fast little boat for it's size, meaning you can cruise at a decent pace with little effort.
As to the sun damage, I use a product called, "303 aerospace protectant". It's a legit, spray on sunscreen for plastic stuff and works really well for plastic boats. If it's not available out on your island, I'd try and order a couple bottles of the stuff and hit the scupper good.
Hey congrats on the boat!
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
hydroid

Thanks Ron for the info. I'll put the 303 on my list. I've got to order, anchor, rope, spare bungies, snaps, hull epoxy, etc. I wonder why they quit making this Kayak?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
TroutCreekMT

Definitely agree with the SOT suggestion. Too cumbersome getting in and out of a SINK. Plus you're not flooding your 'yak with water every time you get back in since it will drain out through the scupper holes. Good luck with the Scupper Pro. Let us know how you like it!
TroutCreekMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:36 AM   #13
hydroid

I'm slowly getting the Scupper Pro customized extra clips, bungees, etc. and the more I go, the more I realize that this is an amazing boat. This is my first rodeo at this stuff, but this Kayak makes me look like a pro, ha ha.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
billder99
Good gone Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroid View Post
I'm slowly getting the Scupper Pro customized extra clips, bungees, etc. and the more I go, the more I realize that this is an amazing boat. This is my first rodeo at this stuff, but this Kayak makes me look like a pro, ha ha.
It's been a year and half since you posted on this... how about an update? I'd really enjoy hearing lessons you have learned, both diving and kayaking.

I'm getting ready to spring for my first dive/spear/fish kayak... can't wait!

UPDATE: Just bought 2 kayaks for my wife and I... Cobra Tourer, 15'-0" long x 28" wide... this seems like a very good compromise between stability and speed... speed is important to me, I will be paddling between 1-6 miles each way to dive in the good, accessible spots. Kayaking is a new adventure for me, I'll start my own "Newbie Old Guy" thread after a bit of exposure.

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)

Last edited by billder99; 01-19-2018 at 02:59 PM.
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
billder99
Good gone Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
...Now, a little about the Scupper pro. It's a bit narrower than most other boats, so feels initially tippy. That means it lacks primary stability. The good news is that as a result it has good secondary stability. That means you'll have better control of the boat than the waves will. Once you get used to it, you'll appreciate it.
I hate to admit it but I had to look up primary/secondary stability, which led me to a whole bunch of other fundamental things I should have known but didn't. I have been paddling purely by feel and instinct... I should have started reading about the science and technique awhile ago. Here is a good article, on a site with a bunch of good articles: http://paddleeducation.com/whitewate...ary-stability/

If you allow it to rule you,
fear is a hard master to uncrown.
Embrace the discomfort of wanting air,
it is only fear and weakness leaving your body.
My poem, by Me (partially stolen from SEAL Team)
billder99 is offline   Reply With Quote