Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #31
SEATUX

Re: New Ocean Rhino/Biller Free/Line Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
Perhaps I should have explained in better detail. What I meant to say is that I have used guns capable of back loading and incapable of backloading. I assert, again, that with proper training and practice, a person could reload just as fast (at least by human norms) using either style of gun.

For instance, if I asked you this question, what would your answer be off the top of your head:

Who could shoot and reload faster?

1 - A well trained man with a semi-auto pistol using a magazine

2 - A well trained man with a revolver and a speed-loader
http://youtu.be/WzHG-ibZaKM
If your talking 99% of the people that shoot...it would be the semi-auto...HANDS DOWN!
But you found an exception..
I have to wonder tho...
As fast as he might be...
....how much faster he'd be with a semi auto!!!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:23 PM   #32
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
If your talking 99% of the people that shoot...it would be the semi-auto...HANDS DOWN!
But you found an exception..
I have to wonder tho...
As fast as he might be...
....how much faster he'd be with a semi auto!!!
I don't think we'll ever know - Jerry was unique.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #33
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Top loader Biller.A semi closed or open muzzle is needed when shooting paralyzers fast.No magnets in the track on this one,but I may put one in my new gun.
I wrap a single wrap around my handle using #300 mono with an open tuna clip on the shaft end dangling from the other end.Keep at least 1 shaft with a slide ring for pelagics and deep holes.Converts in a few seconds. I'm not particularly a fast reloader in my circle of friends so everything has to be operating smooth for me to keep up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5dIAOtHUE
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #34
Salamispear

I guess i'm always having fun...since i don't usually miss.

Important rules of spearfishing:
1. Aim
2. Shoot
3. Stone
4. Repeat
5. Don't suck
6. Don't F it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
There's no wrong way. You are right. Personal preference and I agree have fun and be safe.

While most of us don't shoot commercially, there is another thing to consider that can impact fun... Losing that fish, maybe a personal best fish, because it took too long to get a second shaft in it, or you lost sight of where it went while looking back at the handle to see if you're lined up to lock the shaft in.

That for me is where you can get slowed down. Pulling the shaft back toward you sometimes results in the shaft not being seated in the track because you're working from the front of the gun. Anyone who says they haven't done this is lying. The correct technique is to guide the shaft with your free hand, sometimes that doesn't happen perfectly, especially when you're excited.

Backloading allows you to insert the tip into the closed muzzle and drop the shaft in the track. You don't need to take your eye off the target. It can be done simply by feel. You have better leverage on the shaft.

This is just my opinion and for some it's worth exactly what they paid for it, for others, they might like that option.

At the end of the day, the stringer does the talking.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #35
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamispear View Post
I guess i'm always having fun...since i don't usually miss.

Important rules of spearfishing:
1. Aim
2. Shoot
3. Stone
4. Repeat
5. Don't suck
6. Don't F it up

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #36
jfjf

I don’t like to brag too much but, I can miss 3 fish in 3 seconds with a pole spear.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:15 AM   #37
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I dont like to brag too much but, I can miss 3 fish in 3 seconds with a pole spear.
Lol. Reminds me of a time where I missed the same lionfish three times in three seconds.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #38
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
Lol. Reminds me of a time where I missed the same lionfish three times in three seconds.
LOL - I remember that day!
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #39
RichT

Sorry I'm late to the thread. Rather than answer people individually I will just leave this here...

1. The "ring" that goes over sharkfin style shafts was developed and sold by Deathstick spearguns years before Koah was even around. Koah has just done a better job marketing it.

2. Sharkfins shafts have the dis-advantage of being much slower through the water and when shot out of enclosed track guns even slower (friction of the sharkfins and water resistance of the track).
Enclosed track guns are typically used with 2 bands to overcome these issues. Open track guns using notched shafts (Ocean Rhino, Biller, Sea-Hornet) usually only need 1 band.

3. The main advantages of using enclosed track guns (Sharkfin shafts) is that you can "overpower" them and get a bit more range while still maintaining good accuracy. The sharkfins have the added benefit of sometimes keeping wounded fish from coming off the back of the shaft when free shafting (so long as you don't blast through the fish.
However, open track guns that are properly powered have excellent range, great power, and are way quicker to reload.

4. The new "Evolution" shaft has virtually the exact same outside diameter as a regular 5/16"(about 8mm) spearshaft. It can also be rear loaded.
The thinnest point of the Evolution shaft is 9/32" (about 7mm) which means it has better penetration.

The shaft has the exact same characteristics as a freeshaft but can be switched to a lineshaft in seconds. This is perfect for fish under a deep ledge, dirty/silty water, or pelagics in the column that are often seen when descending/ascending.

5. The "rings" that go over finned shafts (which are made and sold by numerous companies) will not work with the new Evolution shaft and vice-versa. Ocean Rhino quick-load system is compatible but the Ocean Rhino ring for the hyper-link is not since it uses the same I.D. as a fin shaft ring.

6. It is true that the "Crimp" near the rear of the Evolution shaft that catches the slide ring is a few thousandths larger than a normal crimp and may quantifiably weaken the shaft from a engineering perspective, there has not been a single reported break at this spot, ever, on these shafts. The notches are usually weaker on notched shafts than the crimp.

7. The "Evolution" shaft use additional techniques (which haven't been mentioned in this thread) to achieve what it does but it really is a game changer for those using it.

Last edited by RichT; 03-26-2019 at 10:28 PM.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote