Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
U/C Spearo
Formerly BNERAP

Re: Youngster dies at Dean's Blue hold Bahamas.. RIP

I remember responding to his thread about safety !! It broke my heart when I saw it was him. My deepest condolences to the family !!! RIP

U/C Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
True spearo

Reading the thread that he made saying he hyperventilates because that was the only way for him to dive deep... Sad! He needed a class, first thing they would've told him was NEVER HYPERVENTILATE!!!!!!! That would've probably saved his life.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

glad this is asticky..it is painful but reading the whole other thread is important for new divers...this was a tragic case of enthusiasm and ignorance colliding
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
HALF-BREED
Honor the Water

The tragic original thread by Theron http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=142863... eerie, hopefully enough to get the msg across to all divers alike- take a class or read Umberto Pelizzari's book
Amazon.com: Manual of Freediving: Underwater on a Single Breath (9781928649274): Umberto Pelizzari, Stefano Tovaglieri: Books Amazon.com: Manual of Freediving: Underwater on a Single Breath (9781928649274): Umberto Pelizzari, Stefano Tovaglieri: Books
AND NEVER DIVE ALONE, Rip
HALF-BREED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #20
alemaozinho

tragic RIP
alemaozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
FreediveUK

This was a truly terrible tragedy. Its hard when any freediver passes, even harder when they are so young... and being part of the initial thread, this hit very hard when we found out what had happened to him. Our thoughts go out to his family. Hopefully incidents like this will become less and less common as freediving education becomes more accessible and more of a priority to new divers. On a positive note, its great to see that so many people in this forum are pushing the correct information and the importance of formal training. No one can force any new diver to follow any particular path but if you are starting your journey in to the world of freediving, get educated, find a buddy, dive within your limits and remember freediving training is all about ‘baby steps’... small increases in performance by continued and slowly amplified training. RIP Theron...
Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #22
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

this is very sad to hear. RIP brother.
im planning on training in october in the blue hole. ill be diving with brian pucella and william trubridge. ive been diving 60-70 ft with out a class and have been reading accidents on here, spearblog, dive wise, so im dedicated to get training for my future dives. i hurts to hear stories like this. but it also is an eye opener. the sport is expanding so safety must be stressed! i cant say ive not dove alone, but even if you have the itch find a buddy, know each others limits, and know how to provide for accidents. dive safe!
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

These young kids that start to dive deep without alot of experience and knowledge, its so so dangerous.

I blacked out about 5 years ago when I first started spearfishing on deep wrecks. I was diving recklessly and not being prudent and conservative. On the very dive that I blacked out on I told my buddy to spot me thank god and he did and saved me.

THE YOUNG PEOPLE OR NEWBS JUST DON'T REALIZE HOW EASYILY IT HAPPENS, until they learn the hard way like I did. I don't dive anywhere near as long or deep as I used to before I blacked out....its always in the forefront of my mind when diving...

we just need to stress to everybody we ever talk to about diving or spearing how REAL of a danger blacking out is, you may sound like a tool but I think the problem is that the WORD JUST ISN'T OUT ENOUGH
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
ademite

doesn't any1 ever carry one of those small oxygen tanks like the ones used in baywatch the little yellow ones...just in case for emergencys? i understand you have to be scuba cert. to even refill them.
ademite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #25
North Star
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademite View Post
doesn't any1 ever carry one of those small oxygen tanks like the ones used in baywatch the little yellow ones...just in case for emergencys? i understand you have to be scuba cert. to even refill them.
No, they don't. Baywatch is no place to learn about these matters. The freedivers who blackout usually do not know before it occurs, so they would not use the SpareAir even if they had it with them. And SpareAir is really unreliable as a backup device. The regulators are garbage. They were never designed for diving anyway.

Freedivers never mix freediving with "backup" scuba units. It is dangerous to do so. The best safety measure for freediving is to know your limits and have a buddy.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
MeTo

If nothing else please follow these two things!
1.Never hyperventilate,ever.
2.Be weighted positive on the surface. If you exhale all your air on the surface and have to kick to stay on the surface your to heavy and will sink when you blackout(when not if).
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 AM   #27
spearfishingdx

very sad RIP
spearfishingdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #28
zenmedianetwork

My condolences. Thank you for the farewell video, it means a lot.

Homepage - Gear Reviews - Spearfishing Blog
zenmedianetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #29
Keller Aquatics
Official Sponsor

Rip

KELLER AQUATICS
Big Game Pole Spears/ Custom Knives

BAHAMA PRO SPEARFISHING

DON'T SHOOT A WIMPY SPEAR!!
aquatics@kellerbizz.com