Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
mikelb

Any recommendations for Yamaha 4 stroke service?

I have a Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke that I want to service. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a shop or individual? I'm in Huntington Beach, CA and I'm flexible with where or when. Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Bob Ballew

Re: Any recommendations for Yamaha 4 stroke service?

West Coast Marine in Newport/Costa Mesa on 16th St is good with a certified Yamaha mechanic but, expensive. I have used the guys at the repair shop on the border of Long Beach/Seal Beach across the bridge by Ballast Point with success and prices seem reasonable. I do some of my own work using Yamaha manuals available at West Marine.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #3
Mr Main22
Adrian

I vouch for west coast marine
Mr Main22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
Pfish

Mike, if you are in San Diego I have had good luck with Sea Witch marine. They get it done pretty quickly. What I would really recommend is that you learn how to service the engine yourself. Changing the oil is very easy. Changing gapped plugs is easy. Zinc service is easy. If you have not done so already, I highly suggest you change out any metal fuel filters and get the Parker Racors that are made of plastic. Once you install these it takes about 2 minutes to change out your fuel filter each time. I do it every two tanks of gas. If you have any questions on these, I suggest you turn to the University of YouTube for how to videos. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
dctrjayyy

as said above, West Coast marine is good but very expensive and busy.
dctrjayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

...Preferring to spend my money on good wine and my good looking wife, I buy my supplies at West Marine and stock up when they have a sale. I use West Marine 4 stroke synthetic blend 10w-30 oil (one gallon size, certified for use in Merc, Yammies and Suzuki outboards).
...I buy the off brand Sierra fuel ($18) and oil filters which seem to work as good as the high priced Yamaha brand( $80 for a filter and 5 quarts of oil). I do put in the recommended fuel additive each fuel up to counteract the ethanol negatives, although some owners claim it is not needed while others claim engine damage from ethanal.
... While fuel filter changeouts are recommended every 100 hours, I change filters every 50 hours or, at 3 months if the boat is stored and not used. This lessens the chance of gas station storage tank/boat gas tank water moisture buildup being pumped into your engine, a common issue with ethanol fuel use, as it holds water....You could go longer with filter cases that have a drain plug at the bottom, but, beware of the seal leaking air on the turnoff, a common problem leading to rough engine issues that are frequently mis-diagnosed as an engine problem, causing expensive testing until the problem is located..For that reason, I use the solid filters and just change them out.
....I also change my oil and oil filters on the same schedule. This is critical because once oil is ran thru the engine, it starts building up acids that, over time, will cause damage to the engine parts, even while the engine is not in use. Batteries are a whole 'nother discussion...........Welcome to: B reak..O.ut....A.nother.....T.housand......

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 02-21-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
mikelb

Guys, I really, really appreciate all your comments. Once I get this RIB up and running I will do the routine maintenance myself but I want to make sure the motor is running as it should because it has been sitting for awhile, 60 hp Yamaha with less than 100 hours. Yes, it started up easily but I want to be cautious. I have stripped most everything and am sanding/polishing the gel coat. Afterwards, I will put redo electrical and install electronics. This thing had a radar. I will use the arch to hold spearguns. FYI the new tubes are expected in the U.S. next week...... and they cost me as much as the boat. Simplest boat possible 15'6". Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	182.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	237079  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

Nice looking rig....Usually, gummy fuel from sitting is the problem for starting and running...sounds like it is fine in that area...I would flush the fuel tank of old residue and try running it awhile before spending $125 an hour ...Spending on new filters and running new fuel first would be my thought..
....The engine may have one or two fuel filters on the block that often get overlooked, potentially causing serious water bypass issues eventually...clean those (shine a flashlight thru the screen)...if no light showing clearly, blow them off with air or soak in vinegar.water mix a short time and brush/blow them off gently....often, just running an engine frequently sorts out potential saltwater related issues...letting an engine just sit is the worst thing you can do around saltwater....
Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
mikelb

Wow, I just got tracking message. The tubes will be here Tuesday shipping from Defender.com. I better get my butt in gear.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #10
HEX
Hector F.

Defender is legit
Old 02-24-2018, 01:13 AM   #11
NaClAddict

Mauer Marine in Costa Mesa has done a great job on my yammy 4 stroke 150.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #12
piztolero

Hey Mike what's up bro!! I can show you how to service your outboard for free!! I like your new rib it looks like a fun ride.....Call me, Hugo
piztolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #13
mikelb

And there he is the prodigal son.....Hugo! I am just about finished with the hull and then to the motor. RIB is 2007 and the motor has less than 100 hours. I don't even know what to say about that other than the owner must have enjoyed his other bigger boat more. I will send you a pm. Mike
Old 02-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #14
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Replace the fuel injectors... Ethanol kills them when it sits.... you wont regret it, and they aren't expensive or hard to replace.

When I bought my boat, it ran okay, but didn't seem to have the power it should have. Swapped out the injectors and its like a new engine.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #15
mikelb

KC and Sunshine keep it coming. Thanks for the advice, Mike.