Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 05-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #61
popgun pete

Re: New C4 Gladius speargun

Another way to reduce side play in the sear box entrance would be to have a plastic insert that fitted into the sear box, it would not have to extend too far back and would still allow the line release lever to swing. Another approach would be grub screws in the side walls that you could adjust to center the shaft tail in the sear box, they only have to stop the shaft tail moving laterally.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:38 AM   #62
kodama

A closer look.

https://youtu.be/V5Tb1ViTcLg
kodama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #63
popgun pete

A general tour around the "Gladius" gun, now we can see that little square recess in front of the sear box is for a "C4" name sticker.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #64
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
A general tour around the "Gladius" gun, now we can see that little square recess in front of the sear box is for a "C4" name sticker.

Pretty strange to have a recess for a sticker while there are already decals on the side. Seems a bit like s useless feature but maybe we are missing something. They mention that these are serial numbered. Maybe the serial number is located under the sticker?
Old 05-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #65
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Pretty strange to have a recess for a sticker while there are already decals on the side. Seems a bit like s useless feature but maybe we are missing something. They mention that these are serial numbered. Maybe the serial number is located under the sticker?
The spear does not fly over the other stickers, the sticker is protected in that small recess and can be aligned so that it sits square. Which reminds me that on my C4 there is a small hole which I think adjusts the trigger sensitivity in that location. I don't adjust triggers as I expect the factory to do that, plus I don't like creating hair triggers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adjust screw.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	245429  
Old 05-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #66
kodama

Quote:
The spear does not fly over the other stickers, the sticker is protected in that small recess and can be aligned so that it sits square. Which reminds me that on my C4 there is a small hole which I think adjusts the trigger sensitivity in that location. I don't adjust triggers as I expect the factory to do that, plus I don't like creating hair triggers.

That whole area in front of the trigger is already recessed and sits lower than the bottom of the spear track.

It just seems strange that they go true such an effort to make a recess for a sticker?
The adjustment hole is still there.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #67
popgun pete

May be an indexing point when they assemble the mechanism into the gun. A jig might hang onto that position and somewhere else. On some metal parts you see extra holes that do nothing, but they are holding points for indexing pegs when they grind or machine the part in combination with the pivot hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seabear handle.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	245430  

Last edited by popgun pete; 05-07-2020 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added a photo
Old 05-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #68
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post

OK now I see it more clearly. Although this is about the new gun, what it also shows is how massive the Urukay version was. It really is massive for the shaft they have it setup (which was 6.5mm). The new profile looks much more reasonable and makes much more sense for the thinner shafts up to 7mm or even 7.5mm range. For me the Urukay 120 is a gun for 8mm to 8.5mm shafts ... and to be used for big game hunting at long range. Only problem of course is that it has to be heavily modded to be able to do that.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:09 AM   #69
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
OK now I see it more clearly. Although this is about the new gun, what it also shows is how massive the Urukay version was. It really is massive for the shaft they have it setup (which was 6.5mm). The new profile looks much more reasonable and makes much more sense for the thinner shafts up to 7mm or even 7.5mm range. For me the Urukay 120 is a gun for 8mm to 8.5mm shafts ... and to be used for big game hunting at long range. Only problem of course is that it has to be heavily modded to be able to do that.
Yeah, it looks much more like a swank Euro/pipe'ish gun. Like what a pipe gun would look like if you took advantage of CF and put some curves in but still wanted to make a light gun for lesser loads.

Your thinking on the Urukay makes a lot of sense, too. Every time I bump into one I am always surprised how beefy and heavy they actually are.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 05-08-2020 at 02:56 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #70
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

Quote:

And i would love to learn all about your views of how to do so. I am considering getting one for a BW gun build.

I have been dreaming up some TI parts to modify the muzzle already. A handle mood must be really easy on the C4ís too.

Last edited by kodama; 05-08-2020 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #71
spearq8

I did a mod for a C4 some years back and basically just hand mod and completely redesigned the muzzle. I don't have that gun and the pictures of the mod. Here just announced a 24 hour curfew for 20 days ... so I guess that is one project I can work on. I learned from the first mod so I think I might improve on it. My guess is that a structural component for the muzzle made out of metal and then a cover over that might be the best idea. I am guessing I could push the band stretch for the front 2 bands and gain about a division in band stretch. At the heavier shafts like 8mm and 8.5mm ... you need as much band stretch as possible.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #72
popgun pete

Quote:
The "Urukay" was always intended for thick shafts, I have an 8 mm shaft in my gun as at the time I could not find anything bigger at short notice. Using a 6.5 mm shaft in such a gun is a waste of its inertial potential.

URUKAY 120
aste/shafts : 7,0 x 1700 - 7,5 x 1700 - 8 x 1600
BLACKBULL ( triplo ela/triple bands ) 16x720 + 16x700 + 16x680
BLACKBULL ( doppio ela/double bands ) 17,5x730 + 17,5x700

URUKAY 105
aste/shafts : 7,0 x 1500 - 7,5 x 1500 - 8 x 1400
BLACKBULL ( triplo ela/triple bands ) 16x640 + 16x620 + 16x600
BLACKBULL ( doppio ela/double bands ) 17,5x640 + 17,5x620

URUKAY 90
aste/shafts : 7,0 x 1300 - 7,5 x 1300
BLACKBULL ( triplo ela/triple bands ) 16x540 + 16x510 + 16x480
BLACKBULL ( doppio ela/double bands ) 17,5x540 + 17,5x510
Old 05-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #73
popgun pete

I expect that the "Gladius" is intended to compete with the multitude of tube guns that are produced by a wide range of manufacturers using carbon fiber barrels and separate handles and muzzles. With the C4 you get a one-piece gun where everything is lined up rather than bolted or screwed together.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:15 AM   #74
spearq8

Quote:
The "Urukay" was always intended for thick shafts, I have an 8 mm shaft in my gun as at the time I could not find anything bigger at short notice. Using a 6.5 mm shaft in such a gun is a waste of its inertial potential.

URUKAY 120
aste/shafts : 7,0 x 1700 - 7,5 x 1700 - 8 x 1600
BLACKBULL ( triplo ela/triple bands ) 16x720 + 16x700 + 16x680
BLACKBULL ( doppio ela/double bands ) 17,5x730 + 17,5x700

URUKAY 105
aste/shafts : 7,0 x 1500 - 7,5 x 1500 - 8 x 1400
BLACKBULL ( triplo ela/triple bands ) 16x640 + 16x620 + 16x600
BLACKBULL ( doppio ela/double bands ) 17,5x640 + 17,5x620

URUKAY 90
aste/shafts : 7,0 x 1300 - 7,5 x 1300
BLACKBULL ( triplo ela/triple bands ) 16x540 + 16x510 + 16x480
BLACKBULL ( doppio ela/double bands ) 17,5x540 + 17,5x510

They might have changed the setups they send the guns with. Maybe the email telling them how ridiculous putting a 6.5mm shaft on that gun helped. In europe there are actually quite a lot of knowledgeable people that are using 3 thick bands on a 6.5mm shaft ... apparently successfully according to them. I have personally never been able to make that work.

With regards to this new gun competing against pipe guns ... I agree. It is much better to have a solid one piece unit rather than a tube with a muzzle and a handle attached to it with screws. The attachment points create flex points ... which is never good as it destabilizes the shaft and hurts accuracy and performance. But if you know this weakness you can fix it quite easily. Cost wise you can't beat the price of a pipe gun setup ... and probably also much lighter, but I would much rather have a one piece CF body. It would be nice to test out this new C4 gun but unfortunately is not available in my area yet. Hopefully they put in the hours to test the actual shooting performance of these new guns and thus save us hours trying to get them to shoot right. What is certain is the frame of the C4 looks solid as a rock ... also the high handle has to be one of the highest of any gun. Such high handles and thin back profiles are only possible with CF or metal reinforcement. Muzzle looks workable but I need to see how the bands lie when gun is loaded ... trigger is also very good out of the box and the new track that goes all the way back should help keeping the shaft center without having to fidget manually and force it center. Maybe it is possible to change out the trigger but looks like a difficult job.

By the way ... I just checked diveinn and they seem to have them in stock. So once this lockdown ends I might order a couple to check out and test. My choice would be an 85 or 95.

Last edited by spearq8; 05-09-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #75
kodama

New C4 Gladius speargun

So based on your experience. What would likely be the most performant setup on the 85? If everything goes well i have mine next week