Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #31
Old Bateman

Re: Cobia Adventure

Nice video lesson there Tony. I'd have to second Chad's advice on the spare shaft, or at the very least, a Ray Odor kill spike. I like the kill spike on a strong, struggling fish, because you can stab it from a distance, avoiding the mask/reg knock off!

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #32
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bateman
Nice video lesson there Tony. I'd have to second Chad's advice on the spare shaft, or at the very least, a Ray Odor kill spike. I like the kill spike on a strong, struggling fish, because you can stab it from a distance, avoiding the mask/reg knock off!
Rick, I think you are right. You can see from the video I already use Chad Carney's great "Quiver" flashlight holder. I am going to call my good friend Ray Odor and order a kill spike! Thanks, Tony

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #33
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefisherman
Tony: On that first cob, does the video show you tying off your gun to the wreck so that you could approach the struggling fish with less danger of entanglement with that long shooting line? I do that on the rigs and it also saves me air not having to physically struggle with a large fish at depth. I can let the fish fight itself out against the structure and then approach and kill the tired fish from the far side.
John, I did not tie off my gun. I usually do that deep dive without a float ball and reel because the current is usually ragibg out there. I spend 20 minutes down there and blow a maker buoy on a reel when I start to come up and leave the wreck. The boat knows exactly where to wait. I was solo on that dive on Saturday. Danny came with me on Sunday. When solo, I am super careful to avoid entanglement with all those cables, wires fishing lines, etc. all over that wreck.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

Old 03-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #34
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax
. The boat knows exactly where to wait.
Yeh but sometimes the crew doesn't.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #35
hartwelltv
Chris Hartwell

Tony, that's incredible video, and I like the new section you added. I've been wanting to learn more about this stuff since Dan shot that big grouper at 400 ft last year.
hartwelltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #36
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartwelltv
Tony, that's incredible video, and I like the new section you added. I've been wanting to learn more about this stuff since Dan shot that big grouper at 400 ft last year.

Yes, Dan's deep work is inspiring. The reception to this new section has been exceptionally positive. The more we all learn about every aspect of diving from freediving to technical diving, the better. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #37
Serpent6
Stickum

Remarkable video!

If you can dream it, you can do it.
Walt Disney

You did it! And thanks for sharing it.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #38
Grunt

Send a message via AIM to Grunt

AMAZING!!! What a astonishing video. Tony, you da man!
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:34 AM   #39
bajahunter
MANIAC OF THE WEEK

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY"
bajahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #40
WreckHunter

Great idea for the new section. I love it. Thedecostop is a good forum for tech diving but does not include much about spearfishing. It will be nice to see threads combining the two subjects.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #41
Ironhed

Awesome video.... I got busted at work hypnotized by the struggling fish what can I say I am an addict
.and music is emo. (.Emo spearo.) aka Inletsurf
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #42
Alex C.

Thumbs up Re: Cobia Adventure

that was awesome........I'll take a bent shaft for a cobia like that anyday. Keep those videos coming.
Alex C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:31 AM   #43
Capt.Gene

Damm those cable tips. That same thing happens to me every time I convince myself to use that type of hardware and get a really good fish.
Kind of surprised you lost that cobe so late in the fight. He looked like he lost about a 2 gallons of green fish juice.
GREAT video , graphics and story!
Capt.Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #44
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Gene
Damm those cable tips. That same thing happens to me every time I convince myself to use that type of hardware and get a really good fish. Kind of surprised you lost that cobe so late in the fight. He looked like he lost about a 2 gallons of green fish juice.
GREAT video , graphics and story!

The real story is that I have had amazing success with the JBL Rock-tip Break away tip. Never had that kind of problem. I love that tip for long shots, shhoting rocky holes and angles where you just can't get a stone shot. That morning of the Cobia Adventure I went to my local dive shop to get a new shaft to replace that bent one. I also bought a no-name brand break-away tip because they were out of my favorite JBL. At the time, I noticed that the steel cable was thinner than the JBL and should have realized it was inferior. So this was a true example of spearfshing equipment failure causing the loss of a fish that I am sure helped the food chain and made a bull shark happy!

Old 03-31-2006, 12:50 PM   #45
FredT

The normal cause of cable tip failure is lack of maintennce. Changing the cable regularly and a thorough fresh water soak after the dive makes them very unlikely too fail. Of course I replace mine with cable from kinked shooting lines off my riding rig, so the cable is about 30% heavier than even what comes on the JBL rock tip. Deburring the tip cable socket a bit helps too.

Nice fish in the video.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote