Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Gator.Lynch

Fort Myers Beginner Help

Alright So I would REAAAAAALLLY appreciate a response to this. I am just getting into spearfishing, like I am a serious noob here, and I would like to know if there is anywhere I can fish in fairly shallow water anywhere from fort myers all the way up to sanibel and captiva. I would have no problem going to the deeper reefs except that I am a beginner and not sure if I am comfortable diving(freediving) that deep. So I need suggestions for shore reefs, things I should watch out for, species I should target, and really and dos or don'ts that anyone can suggest.

Thanks in advance
G.L.
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
DANM

Re: Fort Myers Beginner Help

look on the public reefs first. Then try meet some people, check out the local dive shops. Also the Caloosa dive club meets most Thurs nights at 7pm at the yatch club at the end of Coranado. The SW Florida spearfishing club is also on faceBook, and have meetings in FT Myers to
DANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
airman-E5

The best time to dive in shallow water is in the winter the water may be cold but the vis in 30ft. Can be very good because there is no rain runoff and no algae bloom... Was out in may and shot a very nice hog fish in 35ft.. Now that it's Rainey season you can't see the end of your speargun in shallow water you have to go to 65 plus feet for any visibility...
Try a dive charter it's hard to find spearfishing one's.... but one's that just dives are plentiful and do a deeper dive with them they may have a dive master on the boat that can be your buddy.. Open water C card 65ft. Max.... Advanced C card 100ft. Max....Advanced card with Deep diver specialty card good to max recreational dive limit 130ft... So most if not all divers prefer experience spearfishing divers on there boat.... So my advices is get some deep dives in. So you can have the conference to dive deep were the vis is good or wait till winter and you can get in 30 ft. Of water.... P.S. Don't bother with the Caloosa club
There just a bunch of old fat people that haven't had a BC on in 20 years.......
airman-E5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
quickdraw

i go around the causeway even though the visibility is the worst in the state lol
however if you can travel off the causeway out to around picnic island (north of causeway) i do it by 8 foot zodiac its pretty clear around that island avg 5' to 7' just look out for what you shoot fwc is really tight around there
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Gator.Lynch

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
i go around the causeway even though the visibility is the worst in the state lol
however if you can travel off the causeway out to around picnic island (north of causeway) i do it by 8 foot zodiac its pretty clear around that island avg 5' to 7' just look out for what you shoot fwc is really tight around there
Thanks quickdraw, I'll give that a shot. What do you get? I'm guessing you just freedive or do you use scuba gear. I personally only use fins and snorkeling gear, although I understand scuba is safer and easier.
Gator.Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
DANM

P.S. Don't bother with the Caloosa club
There just a bunch of old fat people that haven't had a BC on in 20 years.......

not trying to be a dick, but I know some 50-70+ year old divers in the Caloosa dive club, that on the right boat will out shoot most spearfishermen out here! Yes this is an older club, but there is a lot of talent here, and I would put money on a woman in this club who is over 40, would out shoot quite a bit of people too. When jewfish were legal, her personal best was well over 400lbs without a powerhead!
DANM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
quickdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator.Lynch View Post
Thanks quickdraw, I'll give that a shot. What do you get? I'm guessing you just freedive or do you use scuba gear. I personally only use fins and snorkeling gear, although I understand scuba is safer and easier.
freedive all the way i dont fool with scuba unless i go to bahamas just isnt worth it on this coast as for fish grouper, snapper and a few others lol
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote