Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #16
MeTo

Re: ASMFC Atlantic Striped Bass Board Approves Addendum VI

Lots of scup out there!
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:29 AM   #17
rambofishsniper
Puerto Rico

jabs and circle hooks the minority vocal stands we see what you don't
Old 03-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #18
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambofishsniper View Post
jabs and circle hooks the minority vocal stands we see what you don't
Literally at worst we will have more bass to kill. There is no downside outside of not flexing a trophy for a few years. Part of being a sportsman is supporting conservation.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #19
Agador
Argonaut

I saw this thread from the beginning when it started as "maybe". I just checked regs and looks like it is official now - 28-35 inches slot
Don't forget to cut the pectoral fin if you in the last inch window ....
Expect to see ditched trophies at the sea
Agador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #20
prop

this is how stupid the law is .this is from the nj website open all year 1 28 to 43, 1 over 43

Striped Bass or Hybrid Striped Bass
Delaware River & tributaries**
(Calhoun St. bridge to Salem River & tributaries)
March 1–March 31
and June 1–Dec. 31

one @ 28″ to < 43″ and one ≥ 43″

Delaware River & tributaries**
(upstream of Calhoun St. bridge)
March 1–Dec. 31

Atlantic Ocean (0–3 nautical miles from shore*)
No Closed Season

Rivers, bay and estuaries
March 1–Dec. 31

3–200 nautical miles (federal waters)
Prohibited

*–

prop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #21
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Those are old NJ regulations posted above. The new Regulations went into effect April 1st. The bonus fish program talked about below is currently closed with tentative reopening in May. The hardcopy of the new regulations will be out next month in the spring fishing digest. Spawning occurs in the Delaware river. The gap in Delaware river season is to protect the fish who are spawning. We also have significant amount of overwintering fish(mosty small) in places here hence the winter closure of bays and rivers. Here they are....

Striped Bass or Hybrid Striped Bass (New Jersey)

1 fish at 28 inches to less than 38 inches See Digest for Striped Bass Bonus Program

Del. River and tributaries Calhoun St. Bridge, Trenton to Salem River and tributaries
Open Mar. 1 – Mar. 31 & June 1 – Dec. 31

Atlantic Ocean
0-3 miles from shore, no closed season Greater than 3 miles from shore, closed
All other marine waters, open Mar. 1 – Dec. 31
Old 04-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #22
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Just my two cents....

Quote:
wow judging a bass inside this limits is going to be way too hard they should just leave the 28" over limit or make it 28-35 for Rod n reel and keep it 28"+ for spearfisherman
I would never wish for that. I've been saying forever that last thing you ever want is spear regulations to differ from the general fishing regulations of your state. The minute that happens it open a window to differing regulations and we will end up on the losing end big time in the long run. There's simply not enough of us in the northeast or enough economics generated around us to keep us from getting the shaft instead of the fish.

Quote:
Its comical that some folks think that their personal experience of diving on schools of bass a few times a year is a better representation of bass stock numbers than all the commercial, rec, and state/fed depts data being analyzed by professional scientists.
This is very true for a lot of opinions I hear from people who just don't have the experience/time to pull from. On the hand if you both dive and fish for long enough you can get a general idea of the trend but even then that's typically just an area specific trend. The general area specific trend however isn't useful at all from a what exactly is actually going on with the stock or what measures should be taken to improve the stock perspective in my opinion.

Quote:
It has been 4+ years already that the more seasoned divers are talking about a dramatic decline and that we need new measures. We're not unhappy about restrictions in general, we are just concerned that the measure doesn't seem to be the best path to rebound.
Exactly very well said. There's very few dedicated and knowledgable bass guys I know that would say nothing needs to be done. If anything I think people including myself think adjustments should have been made sooner and or differently but the wheels move slow. These regs aren't going to fun with the spear that's for sure especially up your guys way.

Quote:
I've seen plenty of really bad decisions when it comes to data interpretation, and without being disrespectful to those dedicating their lives to preserve the fishery the measure seems a trade-off between preservation and private interests.
I don't think this is being disrespectful at all.This is sort of the job description for these managers. All of fish and wildlife game management is a trade off between stocks and the use of them. It gets ugly and convoluted all the time but without it there would be no reason or ability to have management. It would simply all most likely be destroyed.

Last edited by TriggerNJ; 04-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.
TriggerNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #23
prop

so those jersey limits were in effect last year and the year before that?
Old 04-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #24
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Yes, that was the last set of regulations previous to the new set that took effect in April.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #25
prop

seems pretty stupid that 2 fish could be taken in jersey and a hundred yards away in ny water it`s not allowed
Old 04-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #26
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

I'm not saying this in support of those regs but.......

It's easy to to just read another states regs and assume they are screwing everyone when you don't look at the individual situation in that state due to geography, time period of availability of said fish in said size, other state regulations, fishing effort etc. etc. you get the picture. I wouldn't be so quick to just assume another states regs are not thought out.

One example since we were talking about New Jerseys old regs. New Jersey has gamefish status on striped bass with zero commercial harvest and has been like that for a very long time. The state gave more to recreation and took all away from commercial. NY has commercial harvest.

I'm not saying either is right or who's regs are "better" but if your going down the point fingers road you have to be fair and look at the whole picture. It's way too easy to point a finger and say they are stupid and ruining things without wading through the mess that regulations are.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #27
prop

it`s just more b.s. government control wasting our tax dollars
Old 04-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #28
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

I you were paying attention to bass in the 80's through until now you might not think management and regulation is such a waste in the case of striped bass. It wasn't a pretty picture for a while.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #29
prop

yeah all they need to do is tell everyone they are contaminated with mercury and pcb`s like they did ,then nobody would want them.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:16 PM   #30
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

I can bitch about regulations too but I sure as hell don't want to see none. Are we supposed to just completely throw out all regulation completely? Do you really think the resource will continue on like that? Do you think the wildlife we catch and hunt is here in this country and with this abundance without considerable effort on our part?

I may not agree with todays regulations or how we got to these very restrictive regulations in this case. However, I do recognize where zero management of fish or habitat gets you. It will eventually get you to zero fish or a terrible intensive effort should you finally decide to restore the fishery from devastation.

If you think that there was no issue with bass and that they would be doing just fine without having any intervention during that time period in the late 70's-80's then you're either kidding yourself or very uninformed. The reason we have all been able to enjoy insane amounts of trophy class fish for years and still enjoy an absolutely incredible bass fishery today is from major effort and sacrifices back then. There's no arguing the bass stock was in shambles for a long period.

Quote:
yeah all they need to do is tell everyone they are contaminated with mercury and pcb`s like they did ,then nobody would want them.
I don't get it. Do you believe pcbs etc. in bass was solely a conspiracy and nothing else? I happen to like knowing that pcb levels in bass started to fall since recognizing it as an issue and taking action.

You don't want to know what's in your food supply? I prefer to know what I'm eating whether I'm buying or harvesting it. I prefer to know what's contaminating my waterways and getting into the things I'm consuming so something can be done to straighten it out. I prefer to know anytime our resources are being mistreated , destroyed, or pose a threat to my health. Why.... because I like having the right to go out and harvest natural resources that pose no threat to my health and I would like that to continue for as long as we are around.