Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #1
spearq8

Pushing pipe guns to maximum potential!

I had some time the last few weeks and did a modification to a Pathos D'Angelo 1 handle where I could fit in a full double roller trigger. I had already tried a couple of beta triggers using a different system and got some incredible results with it. Unfortunately that system will have to wait as there might be some patents to apply to it. So ... no new patents needed for the good old DR trigger ... why not try and get the same results with something that I know works well! Sure enough, managed to duplicate results in testing! The D'Angelo 1 Pathos handle is actually a much better handle ergonomically than the newer D'Angelo 2 handle (or 3 for that matter). It is also much cheaper. I was also a good candidate for a DR mod because once you remove the plastic trigger cartridge you end up with 13.5mm of space ... a DR trigger is just about .8mm wider. However, the mod was a lot more difficult than I expected as I had problems getting the loading pad. I couldn't use the side pin to attach the mech ... which also doubled as a pin for the loading pad ... so in the end I had to split the loading pad and CF it as it was wider and allow for a top pin that held both the loading pad and the mech in place. There is probably a much better way to do a mod, but this was just an experiment to see how things would go. Initially the first test went quite well but I had not cleaned out the epoxy out of trigger guard channel that allows the trigger sear to move freely. Also I had to shorten the trigger sear and just used a grinder without sanding and buffing it. In the first test I got a lot of messages asking me why the trigger was working poorly and so I figured I needed to clean up the sloppy mod and do the test again. Here is the results of the second test. This shows that there is still untapped potential with pipe gun design!

spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Nicholasclf

Re: Pushing pipe guns to maximum potential!

Great work as usual. I have a few questions.

Would an aluminium barrel help dealing with some of the recoil?

Or even the Pathos Sepia Stabilizers? (Which is supposed to add mass)

I used a Meandros mech in a RA pipe gun and I eventually removed it because I did not like how I needed to push the shaft a bit too hard to get it to lock (much harder than I would have to push the shaft in on the stock Vecta2 mech)... I notice how easy this DR mech locks in the shaft. Is that one of the ‘hidden’ features of the DR mech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholasclf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #3
Baqi

Great work Majd , i wish all companies test there spearguns before sell it . I used many speargun all of them must modified to be a good gun some of them must change trigger or bands or shaft .

Baqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #4
Snapper Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholasclf View Post
Great work as usual. I have a few questions.

Would an aluminium barrel help dealing with some of the recoil?

Or even the Pathos Sepia Stabilizers? (Which is supposed to add mass)

I used a Meandros mech in a RA pipe gun and I eventually removed it because I did not like how I needed to push the shaft a bit too hard to get it to lock (much harder than I would have to push the shaft in on the stock Vecta2 mech)... I notice how easy this DR mech locks in the shaft. Is that one of the ‘hidden’ features of the DR mech?

Same thing here, i have a Rob allen gun with the meandros upgrade mech and the first time i loaded it the shaft made a click so i thought it was locked in... went to load the first band and thankfully i slowly released the band from my grip once loaded and the shaft tried to shoot right out! Im nervous even using the gun
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 AM   #5
Joe L

I also have the meandros reverse mech in a Rob Allen handle and have found that some RA shafts are easier to load than others. To be fully engaged, the shaft must have a little back and forth motion in the mech. This can sometimes take a few goes.
Joe L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Mikel_24

Not all the shaft tails are equal. And I am not talking about EURO (round) VS US (square) notches only. There is a difference between shafts of different brands regarding the specs of the cutouts. Not all are machined equal. It happened to me with a gun. He didn't like some picasso shafts, at all. I took out my calipers and... well, there is a difference! Nothing you cannot fix with some elbow grease... but...

And Meandros, being Euro, may or may not like square notches...
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Snapper Mangler

I have riffe euro shafts in a meandros mech
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
spearq8

I don't know what the problems are with the Meandros trigger as I haven't tried that particular change out. As for the "hidden" feature of the roller in easily engaging the shaft ... since it has a back roller, my guess would be that rolling would always be smoother than dragging over the sear shaft. I would be more interested with this smooth action when the shaft leaves the mechanism as that means that the shaft goes out with very high stability.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote