Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
daintreediver

The best deep diving gun

Iam toying with the idea of getting another gun, something like the Ferrari of spearguns. I do a lot if diving in water 25m and deeper and it has come to my attention that a very streamlined, lightweight carbon gun could be helpful when diving this depth all day. I already have my power weapon the Denton 120 which is an excellent powerful gun and also have my warhorse rob Allen guns.

The gun that has really sparked my interest as the ultimate deep diving gun is the C4 graphite gun in 116cm. Can anyone share any info on this gun who is currently using it? There is very little info out there about it I have searched the net hard. The gun looks like it would be a dream to dive with and drag up and down from the depths. Iam only Interested in max of 2 bands and 7.5mm shaft. I notice the bleutec range has good reviews and the acid and raptor look similar to the C4 but Im haing trouble finding the difference between the guns in the bleutec range, what is the main difference between the raptor and acid? Anyone compared these to the c4 graphite gun?

Appreciate any input from users of these guns
daintreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
daintreediver

Re: The best deep diving gun

Anyone out there using these guns?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
sacha58

I can talk about C4's.... I used to be the distributor in the US until...recently.
I love the Graph 116, my favourite speargun to go. Perhaps, for your purpose the 132 could be even better. They both slightly float with the correct shaft ( 7x 160 and 7.5 x 170 ) use to bands up to 18mm

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
sacha58

The urukay 120 could be another interesting choice......

www.c4carbon.com
www.palmbeachfreedivers.com
www.flfreedivers.com
www.polosub.com

sacha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
daintreediver

Thanks for your comments sacha58.

The other gun I'm looking at is a pathos carbon 110. From what I've read these are very light guns that could be great for deep diving with. I'm a bit confused by all the models though there appears to be 3 different carbons the carbon open, the carbon laser open and then the carbon laser open pro??? Can anyone tell me the difference between them?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
jstiver09

You can't dive deep with your Denton? Go with a railgun...so you can dive 5 feet deeper and lose 6 feet or range...
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

I like a carbon pipe gun if I have to sit on the bottom at all past 70ft. Less weight I carry on my gun the longer I can sit down there it seems like.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
AdamAquatic

I just got back from week long dive trip with my C4 Graphite 116. To be blunt, it rocked the shit. Accuracy was amazing. I got every fish I shot at. Almost all of which were head shots with the exception of the really long range shots. Keep in mind that the majority of the fish were moving targets as well. Range of the gun is about 15-20 feet from the nose of the gun. However, my setup is with 3 14mm bands so it's slightly more powerful than the standard 2 16mm bands. With shaft the gun weighs 5lbs and is slightly buoyant with the shaft, but not enough to effect accuracy or handling underwater.

The gun definitely has a learning curve and some other cons though so I wouldn't compare it to a Ferrari. It's better compared to the Millennium Falcon because she's got it where it counts! You won't have any regrets when you start nailing those fish you would have missed before.

P.S. I have a Pathos Laser Open Pro 110. However, it's aluminum, but I don't think there is any difference with the carbon. The gun does what it's supposed to do I guess, but personally, I don't like it. Especially after using the C4. The Pathos trigger mechanism doesn't align the shaft perfectly like the C4 trigger mechanism does, which is probably why it wasn't as accurate for me. I also HATE the butt of the guns with the D'Angelo handle. If a gun with a decent butt makes your guts hurt after a long day of spear fishing, you'll have a whole new definition of pain unless you happen to be using an ultra thick loading pad. The Pathos guns are really popular right now so my mentioning those issues in the past hasn't been very popular, but it is what it is. I'm here to exchange information. Not earn brownie points.

I have no experience with the Bleutec guns, but the trigger reach looks a bit far and I don't know if it's adjustable. The C4 handle is adjustable. Also, if the Bleutec trigger mechanism doesn't align the shaft perfectly like the C4 trigger mechanism does, then I don't see any real bonus points to the Bleutec guns. I think the finished look of the Bleutec is probably better, but that's not a functional aspect of the gun so that seems pretty irrelevant.

Last edited by AdamAquatic; 08-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

adam wtf does "trigger mechanism doesn't align with the shaft perfectly" mean
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
daintreediver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
You can't dive deep with your Denton? Go with a railgun...so you can dive 5 feet deeper and lose 6 feet or range...
Actually I can dive deep with the Denton that doesn't mean it is the ideal gun for it!!!! The Denton is quite a heavy gun and certainly isn't the easiest gun to move through the water and that is comparing it to my aluminum rob Allen 110. I imagine A good carbon gun will be a whole lot more easier to dive with compared to alloy. At deep depths over 30m every little bit helps.

Adam and josh thanks for you comments, does anyone know the difference between the 3 types of carbon pathos guns I mentioned? Also does anyone know if the new meanadros horizontal mantra reel fits the pathos as this is the reel I will want to fit to it?

Last edited by daintreediver; 08-16-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
jstiver09

The best deep diving gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by daintreediver View Post
Actually I can dive deep with the Denton that doesn't mean it is the ideal gun for it!!!! The Denton is quite a heavy gun and certainly isn't the easiest gun to move through the water and that is comparing it to my aluminum rob Allen 110. I imagine A good carbon gun will be a whole lot more easier to dive with compared to alloy. At deep depths over 30m every little bit helps.

Adam and josh thanks for you comments, does anyone know the difference between the 3 types of carbon pathos guns I mentioned? Also does anyone know if the new meanadros horizontal mantra reel fits the pathos as this is the reel I will want to fit to it?

Yes the Mantra fits the pathos...my buddy just got that setup. My point is...I would rather have my Denton in my hand and have to deal with the extra drag. But to each their own...most my dive buddies dive 30m with the Denton, the nice part is you can ballast it perfectly to your liking.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

The Manta reel does not fit the Pathos unfortunately. The reel was designed for wooden spearguns.
The difference between acid and raptor is big. Raptor is a higher caliber gun with more mass and can handle more power. Acid is a lightweight gun that swings very easily. Both guns extremely accurate off the box.
I am sure you found ample information online especially the European forums.

Shaft not aligning on Pathos ? Confused about this statement.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
jstiver09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus_Spearo View Post
The Manta reel does not fit the Pathos unfortunately. The reel was designed for wooden spearguns.
The difference between acid and raptor is big. Raptor is a higher caliber gun with more mass and can handle more power. Acid is a lightweight gun that swings very easily. Both guns extremely accurate off the box.
I am sure you found ample information online especially the European forums.

Shaft not aligning on Pathos ? Confused about this statement.

My buddy bought a 90cm pathos with Manta reel from a US distributor...it seemed to fit fine
Old 08-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #14
AdamAquatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
adam wtf does "trigger mechanism doesn't align with the shaft perfectly" mean
It means that the Pathos trigger mechanism can lock the shaft into place out of alignment.

I'm not sure how to post pictures, but I can do so if needed.
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
It means that the Pathos trigger mechanism can lock the shaft into place out of alignment.
can you take a pic? I still don't get what that means...