Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Technical Spearfishing

Technical Spearfishing Technical Scuba diving is generally defined as going deeper than 130 feet. You must have the proper training for this extreme aspect of spearfishing.

View Poll Results: How deep do you actually spearfish?
<120' 209 71.58%
120'-200' on air or nitrox 69 23.63%
120'-200' on He mix 6 2.05%
200'+ on air or nitrox 10 3.42%
200'+ on He mix 12 4.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 11:19 PM   #61
Shotmaster

Re: Poll:How deep do you actually spearfish?

Not over 130 FSW, too old and too wise for the bounce dives to deep depths of my younger days. I like shallow depths better, but I go where the fish are. There are a lot more rules and with the more restrictive bag limits, I am officially a Lionfish spearo, LoL and drag the blue water gun along in case I see a big one. I just like to eat fish! When I was a "Skin Diver", I could manage almost 4 mins of breath hold and hit 80-90 feet. It was hard work and I was challenging myself. I out grew that mentality. I also used to be an avid (read "fanatical" deer hunter) using a recurve bow and handmade arrows, a flintlock Kentucky rifle, and even killed pigs with a spear. now it is a really good nap in the woods! I haven't shot one in 3 years. I enjoy the social parts and helping my daughter become proficient. I enjoy diving and harvesting fish, and enjoy not being "driven" to prove anything to anybody except for my stomach.
Shotmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #62
HARVESTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmaster View Post
Not over 130 FSW, too old and too wise for the bounce dives to deep depths of my younger days. I like shallow depths better, but I go where the fish are. There are a lot more rules and with the more restrictive bag limits, I am officially a Lionfish spearo, LoL and drag the blue water gun along in case I see a big one. I just like to eat fish! When I was a "Skin Diver", I could manage almost 4 mins of breath hold and hit 80-90 feet. It was hard work and I was challenging myself. I out grew that mentality. I also used to be an avid (read "fanatical" deer hunter) using a recurve bow and handmade arrows, a flintlock Kentucky rifle, and even killed pigs with a spear. now it is a really good nap in the woods! I haven't shot one in 3 years. I enjoy the social parts and helping my daughter become proficient. I enjoy diving and harvesting fish, and enjoy not being "driven" to prove anything to anybody except for my stomach.
With you on this. Same here. Once I got a little narc'd and refused (after several attempts) to help a fellow diver needing some minor help with his mask (broken strap), wanting to hit a large Gag I saw... Never would have done that if not narc'd - not in a million years. Scared me so much once I cleared up on the boat I made the decision/decided never to push the deep again. Now if I go it's 90 tops and very easy going. If I kill some fish that's fine. If not "oh well". Taking care of your Buds is too important.

As far as arguing free vs. tank diving I say do what you like and like what you do. I always liked having a BC and the only time I got into trouble was without one. Either way, panic is the little death down there. Commercial diving is not easy and I have much respect for people who do it - especially those my age.
HARVESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #63
SubSub

Poll:How deep do you actually spearfish?

Regularly 30-50ft. 50-70ft occasionally.

....and then I read this was a tech diving thread.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #64
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABEER View Post
I am a die hard freedive spearo where im stationed but it is ridiculous for freedive spearo's and scuba spearo's to fight with each other, we should be teaming up together to become unified in our fight against the people that look to ban all spearfishing honestly DK you are a typical FII junkie that thinks they are gods gift to freediving, news update your not! SPEARO'S are supposed to be a tight group stop trying to start shit with people who share the same love.
I've hunted comfortably down to 80' freediving, down to 160' on tanks, and have preferred line and reel depending upon the circumstances. They all have their advantages dependent upon conditions.
I do whatever brings the most fish in, like Harvester has alluded to. I consider myself average, just looking for the best ROI. If'n you want to wear a banana hammock, carry a 1000 dollar speargun, and make it harder than it has to be, good on ya. I don't care. At the end of the day, it's all about putting some good tasting groceries in my belly. I'm a simple man...that's what my mamma told me. I'm satisfied.
Florida has been a leader in this world in regulating fisheries. Although, I see it being over zealous as of the past decade, IMO, to which has made me not satisfied. I've a few grievances that transcends this topic.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #65
Shotmaster

Lol, i troll for kings, Mahi and Wahoo. If they dont bite i go over the side and hunt them. Nothing like a smoker king peeling line off. "Fish on"!
Shotmaster is offline   Reply With Quote