Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
ArtemisGunn
BELOWtheSURFACE

Re: Speargun Band Advice Needed

Most gun manuf. 18mm bands don't follow a 3:1 stretch, most being longer, either shorten the band (simple fix using some soap, large bead, thin dyneema and long nose pliers -google band tying) or switch to one hot 16mm band say about 45-50cm.

Cheers,

Artemis Gunn

blog.settingsteelspeargear.com

theFRA.org

spearitco.com
ArtemisGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisGunn View Post
Most gun manuf. 18mm bands don't follow a 3:1 stretch, most being longer, either shorten the band (simple fix using some soap, large bead, thin dyneema and long nose pliers -google band tying) or switch to one hot 16mm band say about 45-50cm.
Well i use a 18mm band that has the male screw ends and i use THIS WISHBONE so i was thinking that (as no-one in Barbados will make the modification) i was just going to buy another 18mm band but go down to 50cm instead of using my 66cm which i reckon [from what i have been reading] will give me the extra power without needing two bands.

Thanks to everyone for all your help
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #18
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

just dont destroy your current bands..I really think the recoil you might have will be unpleasant you might wish you hadn't changed anything.

A LOT of this sport is highly personaly and based on what YOU like...so there is no way to figure that out without trying, but given how difficult it seems to be to get things in barbados, you might not want to forclose yourself from any options
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
AlexbeeintheUK

Yea i totally agree with you. It is definitely worth getting an extra once just to be safe.

As i said i reckon i will buy another 18mm but shorter and get the extra tension when the gun is loaded instead of using 2 bands.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
AlexbeeintheUK

Hi again guys. I just want to finish off by asking everyone for their final vote on what they think. My options are either 1) buy a 16mm band 52cm long and use this as a second band or 2) buy another 18mm band that is 3" (or more) shorter than my current one and just use this.

From what has been posted here and further tips i have found there are equal arguments for both with some people saying the second band would be too much for my 95cm gun and others saying if i shortened (or got a shorter) 18mm band that would stretch more i would achieve the same shaft power.

I am so confused by all the advice i just wish i could buy both bands and have done with, but times are tough you know?!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Milkjug

Since things are hard to get and you are on a budget go with another big band. 2 bands >16mm will overpower a thin shaft. Have your buddies bring up bulk band material and maybe a few soft wishbones.

Learn how to tie bands. You don't need special tools, I have done it with needle nose pliers and a little rubbing alcohol lube and used doubled-up synthetic twine to tie my constrictor knots (makes a nice loop on one end so you need only 1 set of pliers to tighten).

New bands have more power. You might not need to go to a smaller length right away. Cut a bit off the ends when the bands start to lose stretch until you can't load it or they break away from the ends. This would be the cheapest way.
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #22
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkjug View Post
Since things are hard to get and you are on a budget go with another big band. 2 bands >16mm will overpower a thin shaft. Have your buddies bring up bulk band material and maybe a few soft wishbones.

Learn how to tie bands. You don't need special tools, I have done it with needle nose pliers and a little rubbing alcohol lube and used doubled-up synthetic twine to tie my constrictor knots (makes a nice loop on one end so you need only 1 set of pliers to tighten).

New bands have more power. You might not need to go to a smaller length right away. Cut a bit off the ends when the bands start to lose stretch until you can't load it or they break away from the ends. This would be the cheapest way.

So are there any 'dangers' of overpowering the shaft? I found this band size chart which makes me tempted to go for 16mm around 52cm or so for my gun.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
AlexbeeintheUK

And also, why would THIS band not fit the Marlin series? Surely this is a mis-print as the band would just go thru the eye at the muzzle of the gun?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #24
Adamichk

ok guys i see you are giving such an amazing info in here but please i have a question for my self i use a 75 cm reef gun a picasso one it has a 20 mm band i want to add some more power and range so if i added another band what would be the recommended length and diameter and does that will effect the accuracy ??? will the gun jump ??? please help
thanks in advance
Adamichk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Dive-deep-808

Your not going to see great results with a 75cm beleive me i tried every band/ shaft combos for mine. The best setup I found was just using an open muzzle and two 9/16 bands. If you want more range your going to need a bigger gun, 75s just don't have the band stretch to give a lot of range.
Dive-deep-808 is offline   Reply With Quote