Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
AlexbeeintheUK

Smile Speargun Band Advice Needed

Hi All,

My first post here so i hope all goes well. I currently hunt with a Beuchat Marlin 95cm (37") with one 18mm power band (68cm long). Recently i put my friends spare band on to double up on my last dive, it was a 16mm band and 58cm long, which made a huge difference to the power of the shot and made sure that it carried the power all the way to the full length of line. My question is: when buying a second band, is it worth going down a size (width) or is it worth buying the same band as what i already have? Are there any thoughts behind using two different sized bands or would, in theory, it be more beneficial to have two identical bands for pure shooting power? I have also found that 2 bands seems to give me more accuracy - maybe its just in my head but the shots seem to stay straighter in the water.
Any help, advice and insight you guys can give is much appreciated.
I spearfish in Barbados for barracuda, cavalli, tuna, some reef fish and (dont hate me) hoping for my first nurse shark this year - ate one my friend caught last year and it is hands down the tastiest piece of fish i have ever eaten!

Cheers

Alex
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
JimCuda
Barracuda Handshake

Re: Speargun Band Advice Needed

I've been waiting for you since that post on Reddit!

A) bands don't have to match, but your Beauchat will likely have a 6.5 - 6.75 mm shaft. This light shaft will be easy to overpower with 2 16mm bands or more.

2. The bands don't have to match, they're usually done as a convenience.

iii.) the length or tightness of the bands makes a huge difference in power application. I usually cut my bands so that they stretch to 3.5 times their normal length.

D - you'll want a longer gun in clear water

5: nurse shark has urea in its skin, be sure to skin it quickly before eating. That ruins the taste.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
AlexbeeintheUK

Hey JimCuda! Yes i remember now, i have been very busy for the last few weeks so havnt had the time to sit down and get some questions out here.

1) Yes the shaft is 6.5mm
3) i dont have the resources to shorten them as we only have 2 shops over here that even sell the equipment and when i asked them in the past they only sell the gear and they wont take the job of doing modifications to guns or bands - heck, they wont even make stringers. They will order them in for like $40 USD - screw that!
4) Instead of buying a longer gun i was going to add an extra band and buy a mundial reel for the extra distance. I saw a great post on reddit a while back of a guy in Trinidad who made a wooden gun in the "Riffe" design and was thinking about giving that a go.
5) Thats interesting and good to know, thanks! My mother-in-law told me that the skin of some barracuda can be poisonous even once it has been cooked, is this true?

Cheers man.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
JimCuda
Barracuda Handshake

I've made a couple spearguns and its actually pretty difficult without specialized tools. By the time you buy the tools and other equipment, it's not cost effective unless you plan on making many or have expertise.

Barracuda is famous for carrying the ciguatera toxin and can make you sick. As far as I know, the skin is no more toxic than the meat, but may be. The risk of ciguatera in Barracuda and Parrotfish is usually a regional thing. For example, Barracuda and parrots in Puerto Rico have more of a arisk than in Florida or Cozumel/Cancun. I don't know anything about the Barbados. I'd just ask the local fishermen/spearos.

I can't give you the links right now, but look up tying your own bands on Spearboard, it'll save you some money later and you'll learn how easy it is. There are also a lot of US companies that will ship equipment to you.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
AlexbeeintheUK

Well me and a couple friends think we have enough equipment and tools between us to get some going so hopefully that turns out well.

OK, i have heard that the best bet is to cook them over a flame (BBQ) as that helps to destroy the toxins.

If you find the links send them my way
Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Dive-deep-808

You can't destroy cig. By cooking
Dive-deep-808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
AlexbeeintheUK

Thank you Dive-deep-808, i was always a little skeptical about that info. The mother-in-law was a dive master and used to do a lot of trips to Egypt and The Maldives so maybe the barracuda over there was the dangerous stuff.

So, after doing some research and reading some tests done on different band thicknesses and measuring the muzzle speed, loading difficulty and pressure etc. i think i am going to go for a 20mm which i will use as the rear loading band and use my 18mm as the secondary band loaded to the forward notch on the spear shaft. I saw a nice Cressi one for like $35 USD - for anyone interested; bands over here like the 18mm i have cost about $250 BDS = $125 USD!! This country is ridiculous! haha

If anyone else has experience with bands and deciding the best set up for this type of gun please do not hesitate to drop a line.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

i do not think you will accomplish what you want, more range, with more power on your current gun...I have a 90 cm Rob allen that I shoot with a 7mm shaft...I use one 20"x19mm band..the gun is great but it is meant ot be fast and manuverable...I also use a 120cm Rob Allen with two 23'x5/8 bands.

if you go with a 20mm and an 18mm on the spear your gun will have SERIOUS recoil and will have a hard time hitting fish.

barracuda skin is awful and smells terrible..it is no more toxic than any other part of the fish and, as jim said, ask folks in barbados if there is ciguatera in the area. I still only eat cudas less than 30"...always skin them, but for taste.
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
AlexbeeintheUK

Hi LunkerBuster, I know I am ultimately limited to the length of my line until I get a reel but sometimes the spear starts to 'drop-off' towards the end of the line and i wanted something that would carry the power to the full length of my mono. What would you advise? Start saving for a new gun or get a reel for the extra distance?

Despite having the additional band on the last couple of dives, and getting the added recoil i find that the accuracy has not really been affected. The gun comes as standard with an open sight but since adding the band i switched out the part to make it closed sight and this seems to have helped.

Yes, you are correct, i am being a bit of a noob but i am hoping to rectify this!

Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

nothing to be worried about...we all learned from one another and the ocean...asking questions is the only way to do that

I would say you will be better with a longer gun..it will add to the various scenarios where you will be able to land fish. the 95 will still get a lot of use but you will really enjoy a 120cm

the reel will not add range...while you are right that it will give you a longer shooting line, most guys who use a reel like to hit the fish in the shooting line before any reel line is out...the reel is more for fighting the fish after you have secured a good holding shot.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
AlexbeeintheUK

Cheers man.

Yea i had a feeling you would say that, $$$'s are the main concern right now. The gun i have retails over here for $700 BDS and i know there isnt huge demand for second handers so will have to see what i can do.

To be honest, in my naivety from watching videos etc. i had always assumed the reel was to ensure you can get the shot from a distance. i guess when i am in the water i realise that you cant beat a fish at its own game and usually when i try and chase one down they are well aware and keep at distance. I had also figured the reel was for fighting line. Right now i have 40ft of rope from the back of my gun to my bouy but have not shot anything sizeable that i would need to let go of the gun and grab the line to return to the surface.

The reason i am keen for replies is that i have some friends in New York for the next two weeks so was looking at purchasing the band from there and saving myself about $150 BDS! I was on reddit a few weeks back and on r/spearfishing a guy posted a picture tutorial of how to make a riffe style rail-gun from scratch and a couple of my dive buddies are all keen to give it a go. We were all thinking of making mid handles with total gun length of around 150cm.

Either way i really appreciate all the advice given to me so far and have certainly learnt a few things
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
lazybean

I am on the West coast so i know nothing about Cig, so i had to look it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

As for adding a reel for "distance", that is NOT what a reel is for. The reel only gives you the ability to pay out line so you can surface. Only your shooting line is used during the shot.

Also search around here for tips on bands and reels. Tons of useful info, especially on modifying and making your own gear.

This thread will have all the info for building a gun.
lazybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexbeeintheUK View Post
Cheers man.

Yea i had a feeling you would say that, $$$'s are the main concern right now. The gun i have retails over here for $700 BDS and i know there isnt huge demand for second handers so will have to see what i can do.

To be honest, in my naivety from watching videos etc. i had always assumed the reel was to ensure you can get the shot from a distance. i guess when i am in the water i realise that you cant beat a fish at its own game and usually when i try and chase one down they are well aware and keep at distance. I had also figured the reel was for fighting line. Right now i have 40ft of rope from the back of my gun to my bouy but have not shot anything sizeable that i would need to let go of the gun and grab the line to return to the surface.

The reason i am keen for replies is that i have some friends in New York for the next two weeks so was looking at purchasing the band from there and saving myself about $150 BDS! I was on reddit a few weeks back and on r/spearfishing a guy posted a picture tutorial of how to make a riffe style rail-gun from scratch and a couple of my dive buddies are all keen to give it a go. We were all thinking of making mid handles with total gun length of around 150cm.

Either way i really appreciate all the advice given to me so far and have certainly learnt a few things
alex are there stiff import tarriffs on personal deliveries in barbados? if there are not, and you have a paypal account I would happily make you a few bands for only what it costs me and the price to ship. I would guess like 8-10 bucks a band and ship them together

I would advise that you keep hunting and enjoying your 95cm gun and just save up.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkerBuster View Post
alex are there stiff import tarriffs on personal deliveries in barbados? if there are not, and you have a paypal account I would happily make you a few bands for only what it costs me and the price to ship. I would guess like 8-10 bucks a band and ship them together

I would advise that you keep hunting and enjoying your 95cm gun and just save up.
Hey, i really appreciate that man but yes they have very strict policies and taxes on having anything bought into the country. The only way to get around this is to say its your birthday, even then there is tax and handling costs etc! As i said i really appreciate the offer but i don't have a Paypal either.

One thing that has been bugging me (probably just me being stupid) but i see lots of bands that are tied with a bungee and then Kevlar rope for the wishbone, my main thought is; how do you remove and attach after each dive? I keep all my bands in the fridge when they are not in use to stop dry rot. Right now what i use has screw threads so i just unscrew one end, slide it thru the eyelet and then screw it together. I was visualizing in my mind how the other designs would detach each dive? Am i being ignorant?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

I leave the bands on my guns

I store the bulk rubber in the freezer

My house is cool and I don't worry about the bands on the gun

Most of the bands you see are tied using some type of Kevlar or waxed twine to hold the wishbones in using a constrictor knot. There are many types of wishbones. Metal, dyneema , and replaceable dyneema.