Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #31
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Re: Missing fishermen

Everyone at Neptonics is gunning for them. There's nothing like the spearo spirit for survival. Let's home they find them soon.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #32
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernicia View Post
Does the engine cowl float?
NO the first thing that came to mind when I hear of a missing cowling is broken boat.... If you are out on the water and you have engine trouble you take of the cowling....if you get tossed in the boat while doing this, you have a pretty serious problem. If one kid is in the water and the other floating in a dead boat......then you have serious problem....

The kids might be miles apart floating from each other. First thought is to swim whatever way is to land using the sun or possibly current as a reference. There are so many variables tho. This is my main reason I don my wetsuit on when leaving the canal and take it off when I hit land....I can tough out the heat, but I sure float nicely with it...so would my body in the event of.... Life insurance doesn't pay without at least a body, and families dont get closure...

I hope they find these young men, the whole nation is watching...

Last edited by kwtony; 07-27-2015 at 01:20 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #33
pernicia

CG video of the boat

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/videos/ne...s-boat/vDXsk6/

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #34
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Arrow Re: Missing fishermen

Jose. Thanks for sharing that video. I see the bottom paint would make that capsized boat hard to see from the air. Also, I was discussing this with a Ponce Inlet spearo who said the engine might have broken down which is why the engine cover was removed on Friday. The boat may NOT have capsized on Friday for all we know. The kids may have been in the water less time than most people think and could have layered up for hypothermia before capsizing with their life jackets on. Let's hope and pray. Tony

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-27 15.15.55.jpg
Views:	1587
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	220026  
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #35
seadogger

So sad. Is it true they didn't have a radio on board ?

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #36
Kahuna

My boy is 14. I can't even imagine.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #37
kwtony
Snorkel Master

here is the thing....

I know 14 year olds that dont have a clue how to do anything other then operate a phone....and I used to dive with a 14 year old that was a hell of a diver and an even better boat driver then most 41 year olds. 10 years of boat rental, i have some stories....plain and simple the young kids dont have an ego...if you can find something they are willing to learn at a young age, watch out. They might be better then you pretty soon. The best divers are the ones who just wanna kill fish...hence why you have women out there taking records left an right

,I would trust the right young person with my own life...and did regularly....we often spent 100+ dollars on gas before going on a short/long trip just could get gas before closing time and be ready to go the next day with a full tank of fuel...there are 100 different things that could have happened here.

Some days the little ****er would out shoot me...thats his boat too...number 3...he caught bait for Jim Sharpe of Seaboots and schwabbed deck for years to get this...I had 6 skis 18 boats and my disposal, and we would take this every time...anything bigger was a hassle...

at the end of the day You CANNOT sit here and armchair quarterback anything. trying to say what is right and what is wrong is pointless..no blaming the parents, they seem like great people supporting an active lifestyle . Kids not smoking crack and fishing are good in my book, no matter what the age...

all we can do is hope they stuck together and they found something buoyant. At this point life jackets would be water logged and useless. 100 other things that float, but fatigue and dehydration are a huge factor.

This really breaks my heart....Hope they get found soon.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #38
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Just found out that my wife Myrtha
taught Austin at The Batt School.
My wife is heart broken ,she has nothing but great things to say about that kid.She knows the family well .man I hope God comes through and finds these boys.
Prayers and more Prayers.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #39
agbiv
Spear, cook, and eat fish

+++++++ May Angeles guard and guide.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 AM   #40
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Crews will search for missing Jupiter teens overnight 50 miles off Jacksonville Coast

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-n-pa...sonville-coast
Old 07-28-2015, 05:10 AM   #41
Crusty Old Dive

Following with fingers crossed here up north. I have a daughter who is 14... can't even imagine.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 AM   #42
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

An interview with the moms:

Coast Guard remains hopeful in finding missing teen boaters

http://m.wpbf.com/news/us-coast-guar...beach/34372602
Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #43
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Question Re: Missing fishermen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
So sad. Is it true they didn't have a radio on board ?
Jimmy, it looks like you are correct. See the link below.

They did not have a radio on board according to the Coasty quoted here. That is a major mistake for any boat going offshore in my opinion.

So the clues are stacking up. Failed engine evidenced by engine cover missing. No radio to call for assistance. Severe thunderstorms in the area. Missing for hours before the first call to the Coast Guard by a family member. Nightfall coming on the first afternoon. Searching in the dark Friday night. Fast current pushing north. Rogue wave capsizing boat. Decision to not stay with the flipped boat and trying to swim in?

Who really knows? I'm just painting one possible scenario out of many possibilities. But, not having a radio and being out of cell phone range may have been critical factors in this tragedy based on my personal experience offshore. What does everyone think?

Tony

Marine experts say missing Fla. teenagers should not have been alone offshore

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mar...ore/ar-AAdzDMe
Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #44
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Wishing the teens a safe trip home....however there is a lesson to be learned for all of us....

A waterproof ditch bag is a must!!I keep mine on a 5 foot lanyard attched (by a clip) to the deck so it cannot get separated from the boat. I can unhook it if needed.
Flares, hand held VHF radio, hand held GPS, sausage, 100 feet of rope, flashlight, water and unsalted almonds. And spare batteries.

There are many more things you could add but I have very little invested in this safety bag. by the way I choose unsalted nuts because if you spill they still float so you do not loose your food...

Also, when venturing Way off shore I bring our towable tube and pump. True emergency rafts are expensive but this is something that will help
Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #45
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplipper View Post
Wishing the teens a safe trip home....however there is a lesson to be learned for all of us....

A waterproof ditch bag is a must!!I keep mine on a 5 foot lanyard attched (by a clip) to the deck so it cannot get separated from the boat. I can unhook it if needed.
Flares, hand held VHF radio, hand held GPS, sausage, 100 feet of rope, flashlight, water and unsalted almonds. And spare batteries.

There are many more things you could add but I have very little invested in this safety bag. by the way I choose unsalted nuts because if you spill they still float so you do not loose your food...

Also, when venturing Way off shore I bring our towable tube and pump. True emergency rafts are expensive but this is something that will help

Good suggestions !!!

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote