Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Coldwaterspear
Seal Pup Slayer

Lake Champlain, VT

Did a bit of freediving in Lake Champlain this week and saw the biggest damn largemouth bass I have ever seen in my life. It was the only fish I saw the entire dive but it was insane. I would say it was pushing 22-24".

Anyway, does anyone know the regs on the Vermont side of the lake? Or even what is worth shooting? I don't do any freshwater diving, but I'm up there every once in awhile.
Coldwaterspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

Re: Lake Champlain, VT

I went to Lake Champlain in VT at my mother-in-law's summer lake house on the weekend of Oct 6th. I shore dove there. I must agree with you about big basses out there. Unfortunately, VT is too liberal. No spearfishing allowed there.

I shore dove for few hours. I saw several basses within 20 inches and 28 inches. I saw two huge muskellunges (30lbs) along with a monstrous northern pike (close to 20 lbs). A couple of 30in walleyes next to the 'mini-rocky island'.

They do have big snapper turtles sitting on the sandy bottom (5-15 ft depth).
Turyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
BlueOcean

be wary of sea monsters
BlueOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
ROCKHIND

Keep your eyes peeled for the M/V "Raymond C. Pecor Jr." coming soon to this lake.
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
westpalmspearo
TEAM MAKO

isnt the lake that champ is in

FLORIDA FREEDIVERS
PALM BEACH FREEDIVERS
[url=www.makospearguns.com]MAKO SPEARGUNS
westpalmspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
ROCKHIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by westpalmspearo View Post
isnt the lake that champ is in
The very one!
ROCKHIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Coldwaterspear
Seal Pup Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turyturbo View Post
I went to Lake Champlain in VT at my mother-in-law's summer lake house on the weekend of Oct 6th. I shore dove there. I must agree with you about big basses out there. Unfortunately, VT is too liberal. No spearfishing allowed there.

I shore dove for few hours. I saw several basses within 20 inches and 28 inches. I saw two huge muskellunges (30lbs) along with a monstrous northern pike (close to 20 lbs). A couple of 30in walleyes next to the 'mini-rocky island'.

They do have big snapper turtles sitting on the sandy bottom (5-15 ft depth).
No spearfishing? Really? I've only heard its not allowed for game fish on the vermont side. Although I don't know what one would do with a carp if they shot one.
Coldwaterspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwaterspear View Post
No spearfishing? Really? I've only heard its not allowed for game fish on the vermont side. Although I don't know what one would do with a carp if they shot one.
Yeah, I called DOW in Vermont before I visited there. They said that no spearfishing allowed. It stated in page 46, "A person shall not use a spear gun to take any kind of in any waters."

Even I tried New York because on other side of the lake from where I stayed are on the property of New York. Both states are against it.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
BenSpearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turyturbo View Post
Yeah, I called DOW in Vermont before I visited there. They said that no spearfishing allowed. It stated in page 46, "A person shall not use a spear gun to take any kind of in any waters."

Even I tried New York because on other side of the lake from where I stayed are on the property of New York. Both states are against it.

Does the reg say "No spearfishing of any kind," or just "no spear guns?" There are always pole spears if it just says no spear guns.
BenSpearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Turyturbo
Deaf Merman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSpearing View Post
Does the reg say "No spearfishing of any kind," or just "no spear guns?" There are always pole spears if it just says no spear guns.
I totally forgot about polespears because I have polespears. They did mention that any taken fish have to be hooked by mouth. Even if any fish got hooked during trolling, casting, reeling in but not in its mouth, they have to be released immediately.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
toggy
fishy goodness

That totally sucks about spearfishing in VT. I learned to dive in Champlain -- though that was before I was into spearing. Back then I was a "treasure" hunter -- used to dive for old bottles and anything else I could find. Fun place to dive...but so cold...
"There's nothing wrong with enjoying looking at the surface of the ocean itself, except that when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent." - Dave Barry
toggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
cbrlibido

my uncle owns a about a 1/4 of Butler Island (North Hero, VT)..... I go there every year for the ;;;;;; for a couple days, bringing all my gear! ill share with everyone when i get back!! water is 62-64 with about 30' Vis!!!!

Mode edit...We do not brag about poaching on this board sorry

Last edited by jfjf; 07-08-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: poaching
cbrlibido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
ClimbertoDiver

So I am considering getting into free diving and spearfishing. In researching what I could do here in Vermont I found this. This is 2012 fish and wildlife laws found online. Northern Pike and chain pickerel "spearing" march 25- may 25. In Lake Champlain. I have been searching long, nor have I talked with a warden yet, but there it is in black and white.

http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/...ake-champlain/
ClimbertoDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #14
ShipFaced

thats great...I'm in VT sometimes and I'd never even thought of diving in Lake Champlain! And being able to spear too makes it 10x's better
ShipFaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #15
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

ClimbertoDiver & ShipFaced - You had better read the General Requirements & Prohibitions section http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/...-prohibitions/ where it clearly states under

CAUTION: IT IS UNLAWFUL TO — "Use a spear gun to take any kind of fish from any waters."

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote