Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 11-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Band suggestions

60” gun, 160cm 8mm shaft, 135mm of band stretch. I’m thinking three 14mm small is bands but I’m not sure what % to cut them to.

Last edited by Jolinedaniel; 11-24-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
brandon cadalzo

Re: Band suggestions

Start at 360% and assess from there. I would think 360 would be more than enough. You could go as high as 380 but, I believe it’s better to start lower. You can always make em hotter if it’s not working for you. As Spearq8 has demonstrated, having an enormous amount of power can take away performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
doyenofcastle

for abellan gun 160 8 spear is fired by 2*15 mm 370% so any band combination giving the same power value it should work ,In high stretch value band relaxation is a main problem ,you will notice after the first dive your power getting low , you need to re-cut your bands ,this happen when I bought the violet sigal rubber ,for me I prefer the old classic school 4*14 regular 360% .
doyenofcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:25 AM   #4
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Yea I’d rather not run super high 380+ stretch values. That’s interesting that you run four 14mm at 360

Last edited by Jolinedaniel; 11-24-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Behslayer

Hi, Go with 14.5mm Small ID 28", 29", 30" is HOT or 29", 30", 31" is less hot. I think this is for the 155RH?
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #6
spearq8

8mm shaft loves 14.5mm small ID bands. Start at 360% and if you can push them to 380% ... all the better. If you have 135cm of band stretch ... that will be very close to Terminal Velocity of the 8mm shaft at 380% ... so I would go with that rather than put on a 3rd band. A 3rd band won't give you that much added performance unless you move on to an 8.5mm shaft. I would avoid using 4 bands as with that many bands they tend to interfere with each other and you really have to design the gun so that the band paths are totally free from each other (easier said than done).
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:38 AM   #7
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
for abellan gun 160 8 spear is fired by 2*15 mm 370% so any band combination giving the same power value it should work ,In high stretch value band relaxation is a main problem ,you will notice after the first dive your power getting low , you need to re-cut your bands ,this happen when I bought the violet sigal rubber ,for me I prefer the old classic school 4*14 regular 360% .

Bands will always stretch out if new, but after the first stretch they will stabilize. You can either over stretch them about 20% and after a few firings they will drop to the level you want ... or of course if you can do it safely, just load the gun and wait a couple hours and unload it ... and cut one end and retie.

By the way the Sigalsub violet bands are terrible when compared to the Primeline small ID bands. Although those purple bands are made by Primeline, I am not sure why ... but they have don't have the elastic stretch that the normal Primeline bands have. It could be an admixture that Sigalsub requested to be added, or maybe the temperature when those bands were made was too cold ... but they certainly don't perform like the regular small ID bands from Primeline. For the purple bands I found it extremely difficult to even load at 350% while usually 380% on the normal Primeline is quite easy at 14.5mm small ID.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Marco

If you want my advice, start at 300-330%.

You can always cut some more...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:36 AM   #9
Castor

I run 4 x14 and have found it to be really smooth yet powerful. It’s also easy to load.

I haven’t tried the small ID bands yet because I’ve been so happy with the performance of the regular 14s. My gun has been working so well I’m afraid to change anything.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Bands will always stretch out if new, but after the first stretch they will stabilize. You can either over stretch them about 20% and after a few firings they will drop to the level you want ... or of course if you can do it safely, just load the gun and wait a couple hours and unload it ... and cut one end and retie.

By the way the Sigalsub violet bands are terrible when compared to the Primeline small ID bands. Although those purple bands are made by Primeline, I am not sure why ... but they have don't have the elastic stretch that the normal Primeline bands have. It could be an admixture that Sigalsub requested to be added, or maybe the temperature when those bands were made was too cold ... but they certainly don't perform like the regular small ID bands from Primeline. For the purple bands I found it extremely difficult to even load at 350% while usually 380% on the normal Primeline is quite easy at 14.5mm small ID.
which creesi band can be used instead of that primeline ? I can't get direct from primeline for small Q
Old 12-19-2019, 12:21 AM   #11
doyenofcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post

small question regarding this band suggestion ,at your suggestion of 360% to 380% ,comparing regular knot to cressi metal wishbone which one can be used in this kind of high stretch ,I want to try one time ur suggestion but little higher stretch ,I have 2 pieces but question came since there is no tack weld at the end .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xcv.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	244668  

Last edited by doyenofcastle; 12-19-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyenofcastle View Post
small question regarding this band suggestion ,at your suggestion of 360% to 380% ,comparing regular knot to cressi metal wishbone which one can be used in this kind of high stretch ,I want to try one time ur suggestion but little higher stretch ,I have 2 pieces but question came since there is no tack weld at the end .
Don't use those. They allow water inside the band and in some instances the metal wire has spread open and let go.

There is another Cressi metal insert called CONICAL insert.
https://www.scubastore.com/buceo-sub...hbone/553324/p

Try them, they are well worth it.

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote