Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

View Poll Results: Are you upset over the laws governing fishing?
yes 30 81.08%
yes 17 45.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Seeco

Lawmakers, enviros, why are you chipping away our rights?

I'm sick of it. We all know the universities have churned out way too many environmentalists. There are hordes of them out there just drooling at a chance to boss us around.

I say there are enough laws and regulations to last us 100 years. California, America, please stop paying these biased fake scientists. Take that money and pay our DFG agents to work more hours. Problem solved.

Poachers and cheaters are the problem. I don't break laws so I don't care if I see DFG more often. Perhaps agents will even protect me from drunk pleasure boaters or car thieves. Once you see how well this works please remove the MLPA around Bird Rock, bring Calico and Sand bass back to 12 inches, forget the lobster limit, calm the heck down about abalone. Just stop making us feel like criminals. Stop confusing us with constantly changing regulations and nitpicking about a few inches here or a few weeks there. Annoying and sneaky.

We already HATE the environmentalists and their power trip. Don't make us hate the lawmakers and the enforcers at DFG. You could lower taxes, reduce traffic and create more jobs but I will never forgive you if you pass one more law to hinder my fishing. It is the only thing that makes everything else bearable.

Don't worry about the cute crusty little lobsters, the clever bass and the steadfast abalone. Don't be afraid that us normal, law abiding fishermen will disrupt the ecosystem and destroy the balance of nature. Stop letting the sneaky environmentalists whisper in your ear. Worry about the HUMANS -- a huge number of increasingly pissed off guys and girls that are sick of this worsening legal situation. That, and continue to punish poachers and other true bad guys to the full extent of the law. Heck punish them even a little more.

Please vote above.

Last edited by Seeco; 08-27-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: just sanding away some splinters
Seeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
WESTBURY

Re: Lawmakers, enviros, why are you chipping away our rights?

Excellent rant!

Couldn't have said it better!

WESTBURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

5 stars
Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Snapperhead

5 stars sir. Fortunately, in Florida it isn't as bad. Give us a couple years though. The wackos will migrate east once they've saved all your minnows from the vicious humans.
"I am a one-hundred-percent, made in Florida, dope-smugglin', spring-breakin', log-flumin', double-occupancy discount vacation. I'm a tall glass of orange juice and a day without sunshine. I'm the wind in your sails, the sun on your burn and the moon over Miami. I am the native."
-Serge Storms
Snapperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
RigPig
Beginner

Well put! Reading about the MLPA and the process that was used to select areas to turn into MPAs is very frustrating, especially with how hastily the team of "experts" came up with the evidence to support their creation. Also is it coincidence that a good portion of the MPAs span affluent areas?
RigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
bearclaw
Shaft slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
5 stars sir. Fortunately, in Florida it isn't as bad. Give us a couple years though. The wackos will migrate east once they've saved all your minnows from the vicious humans.
As Kalistan goes, so goes the rest of the country...

Great rant. What we need are groups we can fund for actual science. Our problem is our opponents are all united against us, and we are too busy getting wet and working to be able to afford to get wet to notice it.
bearclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
C monster
Do Rad Dough

Wow. Very well said... Good for you.

Too bad the people that really need to take this to heart, don't give a shit and never will.

SC
C monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C monster View Post
Wow. Very well said... Good for you.

Too bad the people that really need to take this to heart, don't give a shit and never will.

SC
It is like convincing someone they are in the wrong religion.
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
scottyboy679

Amen!

Bring back laguna and point vicente too!

The people who support MLPA are the same people who ignorantly sign petitions and support causes because it is "trendy" these days. I have to deal with these people all the time when I am selling honey at farmer's markets (my dad is a beekeeper) and people come up to me and tell me that they are against honey because "the bees are being enslaved" and it is "animal cruelty" and they try to bring up facts and information that are not supported by anything with pure ignorance spewing out of their mouth.

And yes, I do agree with you saying that the universities are popping out way too many environmentalists and extremist liberals. Being a recent college graduate, I have dealt first hand with these people who are educated, but also ignorant because they fail to view both sides of anything because they are so hard-headed when it comes to their ideals that they will believe anything that they hear from the media or read on the internet without realizing that everything they read has a bias to it, or might even be false information.

I am sure some of you have even experienced these same people writing comments on your spearfishing youtube videos when they say things like "I hope a shark eats you (insert insulting name)" or people saying that they hope we die because we are spearing fish and then follow it up by claiming false information like the fish you are spearing is endangered. It's a bunch of crap that they have the audacity to say things like this and it is just plain hard to read.

I have even seen this first hand when walking down to Children's Pool and there are whackos yelling at spearfishermen telling the public that we are walking down there to harpoon the seals.

MPAs are rarely reopened (if ever) and before we know it, there will be no other spots for recreational fishing along the coast of California. I have also seen multiple fishing hardware shops go out of business in my community, including one that has been in business longer than I have been alive, because of the recent MPA closure resulting from fisherman getting sick of the rules and regulations.

Sooner or later, animals will have voting rights with this trend
scottyboy679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Albondiga
A Harmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy679 View Post
I am sure some of you have even experienced these same people writing comments on your spearfishing youtube videos when they say things like... "they hope we die because we are spearing fish

I have gotten those same comments from fellow spearos because I lower myself to taking game while on scuba. We really should all stick together in these times!
Albondiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
danaslayer
Patrick

Quote:
Take that money and pay our DFG agents to work more hours. Problem solved. Poachers and cheaters are the problem.
Most accurate statement I've read on spearboard. Poachers won't follow any rules, even if the entire coast was an MPA. Heck, just have DFW agents stationed at every pier and jetty at all times, there's poachers there every day!
danaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
ocdiver123

RIP
laguna beach
ocdiver123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
scottyboy679

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdiver123 View Post
RIP
laguna beach
scottyboy679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
riff
><>

b
riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Rainney

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy679 View Post

I have to deal with these people all the time when I am selling honey at farmer's markets (my dad is a beekeeper) and people come up to me and tell me that they are against honey because "the bees are being enslaved" and it is "animal cruelty" and they try to bring up facts and information that are not supported by anything with pure ignorance spewing out of their mouth.
There has to be some sort of terrible comment you can tell those people, like they are Africanized bees, so they are used to it. Or maybe, its ok they are European, we are getting back at whitey. If they are as fun to piss off as the seal aholes at the children's pool, it could be entertaining.

Last edited by Rainney; 08-28-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Rainney is offline   Reply With Quote