Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
grey2112

Will be in Marathon this Saturday for 7 days - viz and weather? UPDATE - MADE IT!

So, what do you guys think? Will the wife and I have a decent time? Staying Oceanside in Marathon with our 25 foot boat, planning on fishing the reef and Gulf, snorkeling for lobster and lionfish and anything else in the range of our spears, and I've got my dive gear just in case.

Just a little concerned about wind/waves/storms - can't seem to get a consistent forecast.

Last edited by grey2112; 10-11-2014 at 03:57 PM.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
kengolding

Re: Will be in Marathon this Saturday for 7 days - viz and weather?

Not looking too good except for a small window on Tue/wed.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cudjoe_key

last weekend we tried going into the gulf side and the north wind had murked everything up. Could not see the bottom in 7'

I am hoping for better this weekend, my son and his wife are coming down, so we are going to give it a try. Offshore has been a doable in the am, but by noon it was pretty rough. Ok for trolling but not for bottom fishing.

Good luck.
kengolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
jstiver09

Windfinder is pretty accurate 2 days out and it is calling for 17-20 out of the east. That is going to make the reef awful. You may be able to hook and line some of the wrecks on the Gulf side but the vis might be sub par...hopefully not. Worst case sit in Vaca cut and try hooking a tarpon or drive to key west and get drunk.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengolding View Post
Not looking too good except for a small window on Tue/wed.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cudjoe_key

last weekend we tried going into the gulf side and the north wind had murked everything up. Could not see the bottom in 7'

I am hoping for better this weekend, my son and his wife are coming down, so we are going to give it a try. Offshore has been a doable in the am, but by noon it was pretty rough. Ok for trolling but not for bottom fishing.

Good luck.
Thanks - actually those numbers don't look too bad to me!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstiver09 View Post
Windfinder is pretty accurate 2 days out and it is calling for 17-20 out of the east. That is going to make the reef awful. You may be able to hook and line some of the wrecks on the Gulf side but the vis might be sub par...hopefully not. Worst case sit in Vaca cut and try hooking a tarpon or drive to key west and get drunk.
We can hook and line off our dock - apparently pretty decent fishing. No need to drive to Key West to get drunk - we can go to the Brass Monkey!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
mc diver 36

yeah I also use windfinder and found it to be pretty accurate 2-3 days out.they have a mobile app that's pretty handy.Of course it has to be blowin stink for the 3 day weekend!that always seems to be the way,then it gets nice when we cant get out!good luck and I hope you find some kind of action.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
grey2112

Thanks, mc diver 36 - we're really hoping to find some nice spots in shallower water on the Gulf side so my lovely wife of 25 years can finally get the chance to spearfish - she can't SCUBA dive so we need to find spots in less than 20 feet that she can snorkel over and shoot at fish - she's hoping to nail some mangrove snapper and lionfish, and perhaps even nab a lobster. We're thinking Gulf side may be our best shot - just need to find some nice numbers.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
jstiver09

Grey.. Most the big coral heads show up on your nav. That is a good start. Hogs, mangs, lionfish
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
grey2112

Quote:
Grey.. Most the big coral heads show up on your nav. That is a good start. Hogs, mangs, lionfish
Sweet - I just got a SideScan and StructureScan module added to my Simrads, so I can see a LOT more detail now.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
jetlag
Relentless

The weekend forecast is not great 15-20 SE and 15 the rest of the reporting period. With 25 foot boat you will be fine. Just stay gulf side if it's to sporty over the weekend. During the week you should be fine in hawk channel.
jetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
grey2112

Thanks, Jetlag. Hey, any advice on a spearfishing charter while I'm there? I may have a day where I can get away from the wifey and go out diving/spearing - more than likely will be Thursday if conditions are a little more "brisk" than her liking. I seem to recall you saying you do trips as well? I'd usually use my own boat, so if anyone is up for it and has some numbers and doesn't mind a little "sporty" ride given conditions, or if anyone has suggestions for a charter - I can pull my weight, pay what needs to be paid, have all equipment, tanks, etc. as well as AOW and over 100 dives.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
mc diver 36

Quote:
x1! also another way ive found good spots down here is with google earth satellite imagery.you can see the coral heads etc.and click right on them,and it will give you the gps#s for your bad a$$ simrads,and yur golden!I m pretty sure your wife will get to shoot her first fish,and then there will be another spearfishing addict!I dive out of my kayak a lot[freedive] in 25 ft or less ,sometimes even 10-15 ft and manage to do pretty decent with hogs,grouper,mangos,muttons,and lions.I mostly dive out front of key west,and don't know any spots up marathon way,but with these tips and some perserverience you guys will find fish!lets all hope the weather report is wrong!!good luck Grey
Old 10-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #13
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc diver 36 View Post
x1! also another way ive found good spots down here is with google earth satellite imagery.you can see the coral heads etc.and click right on them,and it will give you the gps#s for your bad a$$ simrads,and yur golden!I m pretty sure your wife will get to shoot her first fish,and then there will be another spearfishing addict!I dive out of my kayak a lot[freedive] in 25 ft or less ,sometimes even 10-15 ft and manage to do pretty decent with hogs,grouper,mangos,muttons,and lions.I mostly dive out front of key west,and don't know any spots up marathon way,but with these tips and some perserverience you guys will find fish!lets all hope the weather report is wrong!!good luck Grey
Thanks! Heading out now (damn it is EARLY!) - pics hopefully soon to follow
Old 10-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
grey2112

Made it! Weather wasn't too bad, and wife did a great job launching from MM54 and brought it around and docked just fine, though she had words with an idiot anchored in the middle of the channel UNDER the Vaca Cut bridge - ugh.

Looks like Sun and Mon may be Gulf days, which is fine with us. Tue and Wed are looking VERY nice for the Oceanside. If Thurs or Friday are iffy for the wife wanting to go out I'm going to see about either hopping on a spearfishing charter or trying to find a few local guys and either dive with them on their boat or have them on mine.