Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
HECSAQUATIC
StealthScreen Wetsuits

Re: How do HECS electrical energy blocking wetsuits work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifreediver View Post
I don't have a suit but why is everyone on this forum such a dick to new companies? They're making stuff for you. Even if it doesn't get targeted fish closer it still helps dealing with sharks. That right there is enough to pique my interest. Getting a fish vs getting bit is a clear choice. On top of that the extra feeling of security can change your body language hence getting cover to wary fish.

Xmas is on the way and maybe I'll add this to the wish list.

THANK YOU! We were wondering the exact same thing!?

We have absolutely no interest in lying about anything or trying to convince everyone to buy a HECS suit. We know this is a premium product with a new technology in it and all we are trying to do is share what we have created, our experiences and any science we have to support it.

Thanks for the support Rifreediver, we are glad you get it and are so open minded. Hope you get that christmas present!

Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #17
FreediveCA

Skepticism on a $700 product is not being a dick. If they want a prospective customer to accept that their technology works they better be ready for some Q&A. So far the A's haven't really been worth much more than the the cost of reading their threads. Everything comes with a "may" or "might." When you try to push a product at that price because it has "technology" that "may" have the desired effect I will question until they can provide more than the word of the people they have supplied the suits to (on their own dime) and their "just try and see for yourself" responses. At this point, to me, this is pretty close to those "As Seen on TV" products.

And hey, they posted this on a public forum so anyone is free to question their technology.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
FreediveCA

i just went through and read the patent for a second time. This may be deemed "dick," but I am merely challenging this product.

The patent says the technology shields against water-borne predators. So non-predatory fish are excluded from the shielding, correct or is that a mistake in the patent?

Now I have been paying close attention to the way the Hecs responses have been phrased. They are very careful in the words they choose. Seems to be true in the patent as well (as it should). However, as mentioned before, there are a lot of "mays" and "mights." In the patent it states that detection "can be decreased." Now, when I read that I read it as, "there is a possibility that detection through electromagnetic detection can be decreased from 100% to anywhere between 0-99.9% detection." So there is zero quantification of the effect. I guess that is where this product push is bothering me. The preaching that this is proven to work meanwhile having the fall back that, "hey we said their is a possibility of a decreased detection. We just didn't say how much it decreases."

Lastly, and I'm not trying to jab at Hecs (although this one is a jab at the choice in attorney), but really? They used citations to Wikipedia and PBS as support? They couldn't use a scientific article or something, they had to use Wikipedia? Of all the patents I have read, not once have I come across one that would use such a citation. I haven't pulled the application so I'm going to presume for Hecs's benefit that research went further than Wikipedia, PBS, and prior art.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #19
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECSAQUATIC View Post
THANK YOU! We were wondering the exact same thing!?

We have absolutely no interest in lying about anything or trying to convince everyone to buy a HECS suit. !
I'm finding it tougher and tougher to accept some of the assertions made here.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:20 PM   #20
iliwau

Thanks for posting this Riley, I think its a great example of an engineered solution.

A couple of questions I have:

Firstly, I remember back in 2012 XCEL wetsuits was marketing a 1 piece zip up wetsuit with your technology (which I can't find currently, did they discontinue it?), is the current technology the same as what they used back in 2012?

Secondly, I watched your video that you posted and thought that it was a good demonstration. When you wear a wetsuit with the conductive carbon fiber mesh, is this mesh on the outside of the wetsuit or on the inside (i.e. does it come in direct contact with your skin?)?

Lastly, what happens to the energy that is stored in the mesh? In a Faraday cage, this stored charge is dissipated through grounding. Since we aren't grounded to anything while we are diving, where does this energy go?

Thanks!
-Kyle
Old 09-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
HECSAQUATIC
StealthScreen Wetsuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliwau View Post
Thanks for posting this Riley, I think its a great example of an engineered solution.

A couple of questions I have:

Firstly, I remember back in 2012 XCEL wetsuits was marketing a 1 piece zip up wetsuit with your technology (which I can't find currently, did they discontinue it?), is the current technology the same as what they used back in 2012?

Secondly, I watched your video that you posted and thought that it was a good demonstration. When you wear a wetsuit with the conductive carbon fiber mesh, is this mesh on the outside of the wetsuit or on the inside (i.e. does it come in direct contact with your skin?)?

Lastly, what happens to the energy that is stored in the mesh? In a Faraday cage, this stored charge is dissipated through grounding. Since we aren't grounded to anything while we are diving, where does this energy go?

Thanks!
-Kyle

Hi Kyle,
To answer your questions:

1- XCEL have discontinued with the 1 pce zip up wetsuit and yes the technology is the same.

2- Yes, the knitted fabric with the technology is on the outside face of the neoprene wetsuit.

3- the energy is stored in capacitance in the grid until a grounding takes place. This could be anything along the lines of touching the sea floor or getting back on the boat.

Hope this answers your questions, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
FreediveCA

I notice you have been answering every question asked so I'm going to assume you just didn't see mine. Not that you were purposely avoiding it and picking and choosing which questions are answered so I'll ask again... The patent says the technology shields against water-borne predators. So non-predatory fish are excluded from the shielding, correct or is that a mistake in the patent?
Closed Thread