Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
sethamus

Beginning freediving and spearfishing

Hey guys,

I'm just starting out on this freediving/spearfishing (recently certified scuba) gig and just wondering what is in my area. I just got a job working offshore and will be living most likely on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana. I'm am currently just doing some O2/CO2 tables and just messing around with stuff (nothing in the water). I am interested in possibly taking a freediving class when I get a break from work, but wasn't sure if there were any offered in the area at least that I could find, also any good dive clubs? I know there are a couple but wouldn't even know how to go about telling a good one from a bad one when I don't know anyone in the area really (Moving from East Texas). If it helps I will also be in Houston for the next two months doing training for work so anything in that area I might be able to attend also.

As in gear I have my mask/goggle/fins set for now I just need pool time
( hurt myself doing Tough Mudder 3 months ago)
with the fins to work on my technique and ankle flexibility which sucks right now and working offshore doesn't give me many options besides barely trying to stay in shape as it is.

Thanks in advanced!
sethamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

Re: Beginning freediving and spearfishing

DO NOT GO SCUBA DIVING IF YOU'RE NOT CERTIFIED! Get certified, then do a couple of dives in FL before you start spearfishing on the rigs. If you go spearfishing on the rigs w/o knowing what is going on, you will hurt yourself or YOU WILL DIE! I'm not trying to scare you, but bad things happen to experienced divers, and if you're just starting out, the danger level goes through the roof.

If you're serious about getting into freediving, then I highly reccommend taking Joe Dag's FD class in Destin. I took it and learned more in 2 days than I have in two years of diving. Being in a club will help you learn from the more experienced divers and also get invites on trips. There's a bunch of good dive clubs in the area. The Frogmen are on the north shore, the Hell Divers and Aqua Aces are in Metairie, and Sea Tigers are on the Westbank.

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
sethamus

I am certified.....and I am aware of the risk I have been reading freediving boards forever I am just now in a posistion where I can actually give it a good shot, but appreciate the warning I know you were just trying to make sure I was safe. As the clubs go, are any of those more specialized in freediving than others or generally the same? Also I'm 24 so is there one that might have a good group around my age (I'm offshore a lot so can't really check out everyone personally and they meet on some of the same days it looks like) as my goal is to start into freediving even though I'm going to start spearfishing scuba since I'm already certified and such.
sethamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
PartyBoy
Aqua Aces

Most of the clubs have guys who mainly scuba, but free diving (or skin diving as some call it) is getting more and more popular. Check out each club's website and look at their boards to see what fish are being shot doing what. Most people in all the clubs are around your age and older. Just because they're old doesn't mean that they won't fill the boat full of good fish. I think the Hell Divers meet on mondays, The Frogmen and Sea Tigers meet on Thursdays, and I know the Aqua Aces meet on Tuesdays.

PartyBoy + booze = mayhem
PartyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote