Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Kaz

Re: Bleu Lycan 95 is dissapointing

kwtony, the distance from the muzzle to the last tab is 110cm.

- We all come from the sea.
But we are not all of the sea.
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #17
Kaz

can someone please explain to me the percentage that SpearoTastic was talking about?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
kwtony
Snorkel Master

WIth a stretch that long try this.....you want to start with a band with an overall length of about 26-27 inches. Its not exactly a 350% stretch, but This will allow you to shorten the bands later if you want. This is more of a starting place

get a string and use it to measure the length of your current band. and post that please.... The string will allow you to follow the round arc of the band and be able to get an accurate length when you straighten it out to measure...does that make sense?

Also, do you know how to re-tie bands?
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Kaz

I dont have extra band to play with. i have two bands 16mm and two bands 18mm both 70cm long (about 27 inches). These are black on the outside and white on the inside.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoTastic View Post
I just looked up recommended Bleutec Lycan band setups and here is what I found.

Supplied with 2 bands 16mm Black Power, shaft Bleu tec 6,5 mm Diamond (faceted cross-section) with 3 shark fins from heat treated steel.

* Recommended setups:

- 2 bands 17.5 mm Black Power, shaft Bleu tec 6,75 mm Diamond (faceted cross-section) with 3 shark fins from heat treated steel.

- 2 bands 17,5 mm Black Power, shaft Bleu tec 7 mm Diamond (faceted cross-section) with 3 shark fins from heat treated steel.

- 1 band 19 mm Black Power, shaft Bleu tec 6.5 mm Diamond (faceted cross-section) with 3 shark fins from heat treated steel.

Unfortunately, there is no recommendation for the stretch ratio. Regardless, I would start at 300% (200% via your method) and go from there.

Hope this helps.
Those recommendations (from the manufacturer) seem nutso! I push an 8mm shaft on the Abellan 120 with 2 x 15.5mm bands.

That 6.5mm shaft will be fine with either one of the bands you have and is probably way overpowered with any two of them.
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
SpearoTastic what do you mean 250% and 225%? Can you please explain to me about the percentage thing? Thanks.
OK, if you measure the distance from the front band hole (closest to the tip of the speargun) to the rearmost spear tab or slot (closest to the trigger mechanism) you should get 95cm or something very close to that.

Using that measurement, multiply it by 2 (for two legs of a spearband) and you get 190cm.

Subtract the length of your wishbones. This is the distance between the knots at the ends of the bands and could be anywhere from 8cm to 2cm. Shorter is preferred as it provides a longer power stroke, but, for this exercise we will use 6 cm.

Thus, 190cm - 6cm = 184cm. We shall call this the total stretched band length.

Now, this total stretched band length is equal to the length of the band at rest (100%) plus the additional length of the band when stretched (200% or 225% or 250%...etc., which is also the length of the power stroke). Since you are in the beginning phase of optimizing your bands we will start with 200%. Thus, 100% + 200% =300%

Now we divide 184cm by 300% or in math terms it will look like 184cm ÷ 3 = 61.33cm. This is the length of the band, at rest, between the knots. since the knots will need some rubber on the other side, add 1cm per knot or 2cm to 61.33cm. Also, round up a little so it will be easier to cut, so 63.5cm is what you would cut this band at.

You would then do the same for the 2nd band, measuring the distance from the lower band hole to the 2nd band tab or slot.

Where you are done you will have two bands cut to 300% stretch ratio (200% power stroke). In this example the power stroke will be (184cm - 61.5cm) ÷ 2 = 61.33 cm. So, in a 95cm distance from band hole to rear shaft tab or slot, the power stroke will be 61.33cm at 200%.

Test at this level for accuracy, speed, penetration, etc. If this is what you like, record the measurements for future use.

If not, shorten the bands 1cm at a time until you find the sweet spot for that particular speargun, band and spear shaft setup. You will know it because accuracy will be spectacular. You will also know when you exceed it because your shots will start to become erratic.

Hope this helps.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
Kaz

I pulled my 18mm band till the second tab and my 16mm band till the first/closest tab. I never pulled ay band till the last tab (closest to the trigger), and now im doing the same with the two 16mm bands. How should i use one band and which one? of the two sizes? I still dont get the percentage you guys were talking about.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #23
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castronova View Post
Those recommendations (from the manufacturer) seem nutso! I push an 8mm shaft on the Abellan 120 with 2 x 15.5mm bands.
Ya, but your Abellan has considerably greater mass than a Lycan 95. My Lycan 115 weighs in at 3.8 lbs, including 7mm x 150cm shaft and two 16cm bands.

No comparison, really.

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON

Last edited by SpearoTastic; 08-21-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #24
Kaz

SpearoTastic i dont get anything.. i dont even get what the purpose of all this math is.. i just didnt understand anything.. im sorry this s hard to get im hopeless

Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #25
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
I pulled my 18mm band till the second tab and my 16mm band till the first/closest tab. I never pulled ay band till the last tab (closest to the trigger), and now im doing the same with the two 16mm bands. How should i use one band and which one? of the two sizes? I still dont get the percentage you guys were talking about.
I take it you have three tabs. One in the middle of the spear shaft and two that are near the end of the shaft.

The one in the middle is a rest tab. This tab is used to rest your arms and allow the band to relax before you stretch it back to the rear tabs. Some use it when shooting a fish in a hole.

The back two tabs are for normal hunting. To get the longest power stroke, the band at the front hole (closest to the tip of the speargun) should go to the tab at the rear of the shaft (closest to the trigger mechanism).

Start off with your 16mm band in this configuration and test for accuracy. Then try the 18mm band in this configuration and test for accuracy.

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
Old 08-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #26
Kaz

i just measured the gun from the tip of the first band (closest to the muzzle) down to the last tab (closest to to the trigger) and its about 115.5cm WTF!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #27
VangysWay

Kaz,

Don't worry, you will get it with time and practice, I did not understand any of it at first either, you are not hopeless.... Kaz, you only need 1 band, so forget the two bands. Try 1x18 mm.....test shoot it.....then take 1x16mm band.... and test shoot it.... One of these two configurations with the right length of bands should solve your problem
VangysWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

Quote:
SpearoTastic i dont get anything.. i dont even get what the purpose of all this math is.. i just didnt understand anything.. im sorry this s hard to get im hopeless
Well, if you are that much of a newbie, then you have a lot to learn.

Do not despair, however, because it is all rather simple. So when you understand it, you will laugh about it.

Quote:
i just measured the gun from the tip of the first band (closest to the muzzle) down to the last tab (closest to to the trigger) and its about 115.5cm WTF!!!!!!!!!
Well, then you have the same speargun I have which, going by the website (The gun length refers to the distance between the trigger guard and the band's hole.), is a Lycan 110.

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #29
Kaz

OMG WTF! Petros's cousin told me it was a 95! So what band should i try tomorrow? 16mm or 18mm?

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #30
spearq8

Spearotastic is absolutely right ... you are way overpowering that little tiny shaft. I would go with a single 16mm band and once you can handle that go up to 17.5mm and maybe even 19mm. Personally I use a 19mm (or 3/4") band for my Beuchat 95. I remember a friend of mine with exact same speargun as mine loading it with 2 x 19mm bands on a 6.75mm shaft. We checked penetration on a target at 4 meters and I had MORE penetration with my single band than he had with his 2 bands. His shot dispersion also was the size of a basketball, while I was able to keep shots within the size of a ping pong ball. You would think that he would be convinced, but he still loads 2 x 19mm bands

One more thing ... take it from someone who has tried many many guns ... it is extremely rare to find 2 different makes of guns that shoot the same. That is simply a fact that is caused by many different factors. A gun that does not shoot the same way you are used to does not mean it is "bad" or "inaccurate" ... if it groups shots tight and center line, a little higher or a little lower is just something you get accustomed to just like you have to lead a fast moving fish or shoot a little below a fish when you are aiming up or down or aim above a fish if it is a little further away. In time you will do it without even thinking.

Last edited by spearq8; 08-21-2014 at 03:19 PM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote