Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
KLuck

Ray Odor still in business?

Hey guys, I'm a long time fisherman and snorkeler who took a spearfishing trip and caught the addiction, so had to join the forum.

I asked my wife for a pole spear for my birthday, and decided the Ray Odor looked like a good mix of price and durability for a beginner, as well as a cool piece of Florida history.

So my wife called Ray in May. He took the order and the payment for $110 went through, but we never got the spear. She called back and spoke to him a week ago, he said it must have got lost in shipping. We also emailed the email address on his website, but got no response.

Looks like his website recently expired. I know he's 89 years old now and we kind of got the feeling he may not actually be selling spears anymore. Anyone know anything more? Thanks
KLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Ren

Re: Ray Odor still in business?

You might want to shoot him an email and give a call again.

Last time I ordered a spear from him was in April of 2015 and he responded to my emails within a couple days.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #3
dstack

Just talked to him today! Love that guy!
dstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
llamar

I bought a pole spear from him online about a year ago. After a bit of a delay it arrived, but the threads on the flopper tip didn't match the pole spear. I eventually got ahold of Ray on the phone and explained the problem. After some confusion and some back and forth, he eventually sent a replacement that fit properly. He was super friendly throughout, but it was more of a struggle than normal to convey my problem and how I hoped he would fix it.

I wonder if your spear not arriving might have resulted from an instance of simple forgetfulness on his part. He was incredibly friendly and open with me when I talked with him to straighten out my order, but an ultra-efficient Amazon distribution center he is not.

Last edited by llamar; 06-30-2016 at 07:05 PM.
llamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
dstack

Ray has a very hard time hearing, it would probably be best to write a short and simple email explaining an issue. Also, his phone pretty much rings off the hook when I've been there. The man loves his job, it's a must stop before any dive trip and really gets me in the mood to fish! We asked him today if he would ever consider selling his business, he almost teared up! It was a touching moment. He loves his job.
dstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #6
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Yep, Ray is good peeps. I've always found his zeal for life uplifting.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
SprfishngNaples

The man is getting old. I ordered a powerhead from him a few weeks ago and he sent it to the wrong address. But he made it right by sending me out another. Be patient with him though!
SprfishngNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
KLuck

How were you able to communicate with him? Last time I called him he told me some great stories and seemed to understand that I had an order pending, but I never received a spear. My wife says to just leave him alone and eat the $110, which is fine, it's not about the money. I just thought it was a cool piece of FL history and a good spear. I know his intentions are the best and he would like to fulfill the order. Anyway, hope he's doing ok.
KLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
SprfishngNaples

I called him. I think that is the best way to reach him. Not sure he is very capable at email
SprfishngNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLuck View Post
How were you able to communicate with him? Last time I called him he told me some great stories and seemed to understand that I had an order pending, but I never received a spear. My wife says to just leave him alone and eat the $110, which is fine, it's not about the money. I just thought it was a cool piece of FL history and a good spear. I know his intentions are the best and he would like to fulfill the order. Anyway, hope he's doing ok.
I wouldn't do that. Ray is an honorable man and he would not want to have this sort of thing hanging over his reputation. I'm sure if you contact him he will take care of it.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

Anyone know how Rays doing?
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #12
Capt.Gene

Take him a fresh filet. He still eats.