Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
mishu1984

Moana Waterman vs.. BlackTech CST Competition Carbon Fins

Im considering changing my fins from my current DiveRs to either the Moanas or the BlackTechs...
has anyone tried the BlackTechs? here is a link to shop that sells them

thanks for the feedback
Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Impaler Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: Moana Waterman vs.. BlackTech CST Competition Carbon Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishu1984 View Post
Im considering changing my fins from my current DiveRs to either the Moanas or the BlackTechs...
has anyone tried the BlackTechs? here is a link to shop that sells them

thanks for the feedback
dive r are the strongest fins that I know of. I have seen every other brand get snapped. - not dive r. Why would you switch? I don't know about the black techs - but i have seen 5 or 6 broken moanas.
I spent alot of $ getting dive r blades and i can't be happier with them. Am very surprised to hear you don't like them.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
mishu1984

I never said i dont like them. Ive had them forever now. Kinda want to try something new
Old 06-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

I have spent more money on carbon fins than I should, and for my kicking style... I have found the Pathos carbon blades (soft) in pathos footpockets to be the best performing blades, but cannot speak on their longevity since I have only owned them 3 months with about 20-25 dives on them. I also dove Moana soft hybrids for 2 years and they are a very very close second. Excellent fins...
I dove a pair of the blacktech carbon fins for half a day but they were too stiff for me, so I cannot give you a valid nor reliable review on them. I wasn't a big fan because they weren't suited to me...

To be completely honest, both the pathos and moana blades outperform the DiveR carbon copper beryllium fins and the innegra fins by a loooong shot. A lot of spearos here in Australia love the DiveR fins because of their ruggedness but with the variety and quality of carbon fins nowadays, there are much better options available for the money.

Long story short, I would look into Moana fins if I were you. Contact JD, he is not only honest, but very confident with his product. I am gonna pick up another pair of his euros in the near future just to compare with my Pathos blades
Old 06-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
SubSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Recluse View Post
I have spent more money on carbon fins than I should, and for my kicking style... I have found the Pathos carbon blades (soft) in pathos footpockets to be the best performing blades,

How much do you weigh? I'm looking at getting the Pathos fins myself and am a bit unsure of what stiffnes to get. Soft -> Medium is on the plate for me and I'm 95kgs/205lb.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
How much do you weigh? I'm looking at getting the Pathos fins myself and am a bit unsure of what stiffnes to get. Soft -> Medium is on the plate for me and I'm 95kgs/205lb.
I weight 170lbs and this is my softest blade yet. I was a sceptic at first and regretted not getting mediums when they came in the mail, but they are much easier on my ankles and performance wise... I am very happy with them.
Diving here isn't too deep... 15-20m max but for the kms we swim on the surface between spots, they are worth every penny. Very reactive blades
Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
RBainer

go with Alchemy v3 or XT diving pteryx , hands down best carbons on the market

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBainer View Post

What about Cetma fins? Is the hype real?

Sent from the abyss
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
RBainer

From what I heard nothing special

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Dr.P

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBainer View Post
I've used the alchemys pretty extensively and they are great. I'm actually working on a pretty expansive carbon fin wiki right now, because I've spent way, way too much money on fins. The best I've ever used are the Moana Euro softs, though. They've got all the amazing properties of the high end euro fins with the torsional rigidity that the hybrids were known for. I've had 5 pairs now and never had a problem... and one of those pairs I use off rocks, around bridges, throw them on the ground, drop weights on them... you really can't kill them, durability is not an issue.
Dr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
RBainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.P View Post
I've used the alchemys pretty extensively and they are great. I'm actually working on a pretty expansive carbon fin wiki right now, because I've spent way, way too much money on fins. The best I've ever used are the Moana Euro softs, though. They've got all the amazing properties of the high end euro fins with the torsional rigidity that the hybrids were known for. I've had 5 pairs now and never had a problem... and one of those pairs I use off rocks, around bridges, throw them on the ground, drop weights on them... you really can't kill them, durability is not an issue.

The only issue with my v3 is I do get a little of leg burn on 50m or more dives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
mishu1984

Quote:
moan's or diveR carbons? which would you choose and why
Old 06-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #13
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Pathos was tested alongside several brands of carbon blades and came in first. Test was done independently by Apnea Passion but it was not compared to Bleutec, C4 or Moana.

Between the two choices I would still go with Moana. I sell both fins and customers buying Moana have better things to say especiaslly for their euro model.

As far as breakage goes I have seen several of both break as well as most other brands.

A store definitely sees more for sure. Other store owners can chime in on this one since this is a topic we discussed before with a few. In general there is no blade that is indestructible.

In regards to Cetma I have heard good things about them but no personal experience.

My all time favorite is still the Bleutec Checkmate with the Pathos and Stepanek coming second and third but it always depends on your style of diving. For example TSepanek is the best in vertical diving and I like Pathos for a lot of surface kicking but Bleutec is the lioghtest and most explosive one causing no fatigue to my muscles.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #14
Marco

Quote:
I've had 5 pairs now and never had a problem... and one of those pairs I use off rocks, around bridges, throw them on the ground, drop weights on them... you really can't kill them, durability is not an issue.
Just one question: Why did you had 5 pairs if you never had a problem? It just doesn't make sense to me...

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
Cyprus_Spearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Petros

Several customers have multiple pairs of fins. I am curious though as well since I as a store owner only own 4 pairs but of 4 different companies.

http://www.spearamerica.com
https://www.instagram.com/spearamerica

2950 Airway Ave
SuiteA7
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 536-5336
spearamerica@gmail.com

Fulfilling my passion!!
Cyprus_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote