Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #121
BreathlessSight

Re: The freediver's safety vest--IT'S ABOUT TIME!

Just not legally

Well, you hit the nail on the head Bill.

What about tradition? Did anyone argue that? Haha... j/k.

If you think about it, we are all like family and should look out for each other.

Last edited by BreathlessSight; 04-21-2009 at 01:16 AM.
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #122
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Please, letīs not derail this thread anymore, Live and let drown...
monster slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #123
BreathlessSight

The thread is to discuss views and opinions on the vest is it not? Its pretty blunt
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #124
Toledo970

There are degrees of security and degrees of sense of security. What you do with each is your problem.
Toledo970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #125
DevonBlaine
pole-spearo

Send a message via Skype™ to DevonBlaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathlessSight View Post
Might have all those saftey precautions but the fact is we are still partaking in a highly dangerous activity much like driving and flying jets. There are a lot of factors that are out of our control and it could lead to death. A freediver can swb w/o having to push him self one bit. Freediving isnt an exact science. Remember the story of Sergeo Ghoes? You might have insturments that help enhance your safety but the fact is your still willing to take the chance and put your life at risk everytime you dive under the water, get behind the wheel, or even the stick.
So whats pushing the limits if we are willing to even go forth with activities that can be so unpredictable and bad to our health? To me, thats pushing the limits already.
Some people say if its your time to go, you will go. Its up to the individual to determine how important thier life is, not others.

I think the vest is a good idea. However if you dont have a good dive partner what good is it?

This is exactly how I see it, but now it is manditory for all AF 18 WG or possibly PACAF to wear pfd's when snorkeling or freediving. I guess if I have to use one, I'd like one like this. Or
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xca...Life_Vest.html
-9' Gat-ku
Hobie Mirage Outback
DevonBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #126
hau
peskadot

DevonBlaine---been there, done that. Hope this PM helps.

Last edited by hau; 03-03-2010 at 03:21 AM.
hau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #127
tmaas

Hawaiian divers and Paramedics test the FRV

Here are the latest tests from paramedics and Hawaiian spearfishers and deep divers: http://oceanicss.com/First_Impressions.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	wayde_dive.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	125906
This is a photo of National Champion Wayde Hayashi taken by Sterling Kaya from the Hawiian trials.

Name:	wayde_to_surface.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	125907
Wayde tests the recovery position

Name:	Joe_nose%20copy.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	125905
Paramedic and world record holder Joe Tobin reports his success with providing rescue breathing

Terry
tmaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #128
Akimbo

Re: Hawaiian divers and Paramedics test the FRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaas View Post
... Attachment 125907
Wayde tests the recovery position…
I notice the snorkel is still in his mouth, could that be a risk if he is unconscious on the surface with the inflated vest? I wonder if there would be a simple way to yank on the mouthpiece when the vest inflates?
Akimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #129
S. Haynie

sweet
S. Haynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #130
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

I definitely would not buy one....... I think it is a sense of false security... I know that it is not meant to substitute a buddy but I don't think that man is smart enough to see that. I think there will be too many divers going solo because of this advice (not that there aren't now)......

If you have a properly trained buddy with you at all times, you'll never have the need for a vest like this. It's that simple! Your buddy must be within arms-reach length at all times when surfacing and you should have some sort of visual reference of him, whether it be him or a floatline. No excuses.

Peace, Errol
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #131
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamencoguru View Post
I definitely would not buy one....... I think it is a sense of false security... I know that it is not meant to substitute a buddy but I don't think that man is smart enough to see that. I think there will be too many divers going solo because of this advice (not that there aren't now)......

If you have a properly trained buddy with you at all times, you'll never have the need for a vest like this. It's that simple! Your buddy must be within arms-reach length at all times when surfacing and you should have some sort of visual reference of him, whether it be him or a floatline. No excuses.

Peace, Errol
Errol:

My perspective, and probably yours, is very heavily influenced by our local dive conditions: Deep and Clear (in general anyway).

Many spearfisherman dive in conditions which are the opposite, dark, dirty and probably not as deep. These conditions completely prevent (or seriously compromise) the ability of divers to watch eachother or even track their buddy underwater. The buddy system has little or no value under these conditions.

It's this simple: these divers are presented with two options: Don't spearfish that day or dive and (try like hell to be careful).

Locally, we dive around sharks and some people will shoot around sharks and even target the fish schooling with the sharks in the pursuit of their recreational activities. Some (most) people would say that this is reckless and we should immediately get out of the water and not dive when we are confronted with bull sharks that are well documented to bite people and can be extremely aggressive.

We all have to make our own risk/benefit analysis and this new technology may be relevant to that calculation for many people.

In addition, I think that some divers will be able to comprehend that the vest can be utilized as a supplement to, rather than a replacement of, the buddy system.

Last edited by jfjf; 07-24-2010 at 10:24 AM.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:31 PM   #132
dparache

FLAMENCOGURU I spearfish in longisland where 97% of the time the viz sucks untill u hit the bottom so to try n see your buddy forget it n if that day we are diving deeper the 40 feet u can only wait n time the diver n wait to see if he comes up . most diving here is just drop tp the bottom n wait as long as u can for the fish to come around and spear it . some times that can take hours of diving so the deeper the less viz you have so will i buy one yes as soon it get cheaper to buy
dparache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 AM   #133
black1

I always dive with a buddy, but, conditions can change the safety factor very quickly. I dive with my buddy and watch him descend and he does me, but, most times after 40ft or so he dissapears due to viz conditions, sometimes the current is stronger on the bottom than the top or vice versa so when they surface you could be far away from them. This is how it is and I wish we could have perfect visibility, but, life is not always like that so having this vest on and still using good judgment and never going beyond your limits and still trying your best to watch and be watched like your supposed to do can save your life if something does go wrong. I just started a new family and for sure will get one of these vests...I owe it to my family to invest in products that are helping to keep me safer while doing what I love to do, it is up to me and my strength to not push it and think I am invincable with such a device and if I do that I can come home to my family each time.
black1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #134
Mullins

Here in NZ we often find ourselves diving in conditions that make buddy diving completely impossible - deep, bad vis, too much current to swim against. Spend some time on the bottom and your buddy ends up way down current from you. Better just to have a boat following your float. The vest would be good for those situations, I definitely like the sound of it. Not a bad idea for freedive training either.
Mullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #135
JakeF

Can anyone tell me if there are any statistics available on the likelyhood of a SWB victim regaining conciousness on their own once brought to the surface?

For example, if someone is diving solo (or their buddy is occupied or out of reach) while wearing the FRV and experiences a SWB. The vest inflates and brings them to the surface face up, but no one is there to "wake them up".

Will the victim generally resume breathing and wake up on their own, or does recovery usually require intervention other than help to the surface?
JakeF is offline   Reply With Quote