Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #16
CuzzA

Re: 2018's Red Grouper season is 2 mths>Fl fed east coast waters

Here on the Gulf coast I have harvested just one red grouper since that last major red tide event. I see some here and there, they are always small. This species needs all the help it can get.

It appears this rule is for just the South Atlantic.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:26 AM   #17
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
what do you think is causing this imbalance?
I would guess it is a number of things but the top of the list is the exponential increase in recreational fishermen with more offshore capable boats, better electronics, tackle and access. Commercial fishermen are not even coming close to meeting ther TAC on the west coast and recent red tide issues over here have all but eliminated them in the big bend area. I’m glad they are making changes with RG as any fishable concentration of them anywhere is an anomaly and not representative Of the overall fishery.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #18
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

East coast commercial hasn't bit their TAC either and catch rates are way low compared to even 10 yrs ago.One good thing is that there are still some big breeder around.We try to avoid them unless there's no other fish around. I'd rather kill lions.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #19
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorediver View Post
I feel sorry for the next generation that will have to endure these regulations, and I am thankful that I at least got to keep lots of quality fish, lobster,etc in the +20 years I have been fishing.
I feel sorry for the next generation due to the fact regulations were not more aggressively pursued much earlier to prevent where we are at today. If common sense limits and closures were enacted 15 years ago we would be able to find and harvest 2 mature fish of each species everyday we hit the water. Now we are at point where extreme measures are required and this upcoming generation will suffer the consequences for the sins of the past. I personally am as guilty as anyone else.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I would guess it is a number of things but the top of the list is the exponential increase in recreational fishermen with more offshore capable boats, better electronics, tackle and access. Commercial fishermen are not even coming close to meeting ther TAC on the west coast and recent red tide issues over here have all but eliminated them in the big bend area. I’m glad they are making changes with RG as any fishable concentration of them anywhere is an anomaly and not representative Of the overall fishery.

I agree. I just asked the question to hear his response. Too often do I hear people blame poor fish stocks on the amount of sharks and that the solution is to kill more sharks. Maybe I'm a dirty hippy but I don't condone senseless killing. A lot of my buddies will shoot every shark they catch which makes me absolutely sick.

Kinda blows my mind that people want to blame sharks when they have been residence of the ocean for millions of years.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #21
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
East coast commercial hasn't bit their TAC either and catch rates are way low compared to even 10 yrs ago.One good thing is that there are still some big breeder around.We try to avoid them unless there's no other fish around. I'd rather kill lions.

That brings up another point of mine. After looking back at my trip reports from 2016 somehow I was responsible for more than 10% of the reported red grouper landings in the ENTIRE South Atlantic. Kinda blows my mind that a small time fishing operation is able to contribute that much to the pool.....

While I'm all for lowering the ACL, increasing the size limit, lowering bag limits, and yes even trip limits, I think this is a huge cut and another knee jerk reaction where the councils take far too long to do anything constructive and then take away too much too late.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #22
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Thai View Post
Hopefully, a complete closure. Those things might as well be extinct for as many as I see.

Scott
I agree 100% with Scott, if something drastic is not done, they will be extinct in the Jupiter/West Palm Beach area
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #23
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

I have seen some monster red grouper my last few dives out of Jupiter in the last two months. Hopefully they finish their spawn and get out of dodge before May 1st. It would be pretty hard for me to resist shooting those big guys and I know they need to continue to live and breed.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Thai View Post
Hopefully, a complete closure. Those things might as well be extinct for as many as I see.

Scott
Time for some Lasik.
Plenty if you know where to go.

Will post for you first week of May .
Free Divers ,lol
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #25
kwyoungspear

Finally got on the water for the first time this grouper season and can confirm that the red grouper population west of key west is very healthy. 8 reds on ONE spot and left PLENTY swimming.