Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Politics/Religion Forum

Politics/Religion Forum This special place is for threads that are primarily on political or religious subjects.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #16
POL
Displaced Person

Re: Standoff In Nevada: Another Federal Siege Against The Innocent

Quote:
A DEA Agent stopped at a ranch in Texas and talked to an old rancher. He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher said, "okay, but don't go into that field over there...", as he pointed out the location. The DEA Agent verbally exploded and said, "look mister, I have the authority of the federal government with me!" Reaching into his rear back pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher. "See this badge?! This badge means I can go wherever I want... On any land! No questions asked, no answers given! Do you understand old man?!"
The rancher kindly nodded, apologized, and went about his chores. Moments later the rancher heard loud screams, he looked up and saw the DEA agent running for his life, being chased by the ranchers big Santa Gertrudis Bull...... With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it was likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified. The old rancher threw down his tools, ran as fast as he could to the fence, and yelled at the top of his lungs......
"YOUR BADGE! SHOW HIM YOUR BADGE!"
If it only be this simple

POL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
FredT

After getting their head handed to them for using the same tactics in CA, with a $14,000,000.00 price tag to the taxpayer, BLM in it's infinite wisdom pulls the same stunts in Nevada. BTW the CA case has been in court for over 20 years already, and the BLM is again being appealed to delay payment to the rancher.

Congress is going to need to act fast to prevent serious bloodshed here. Past history shows the odds of that happening are worse than winning a lottery without buying a ticket, which means the rancher and his family are already dead men.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
jackpine savage
Kill your food

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/us/nev...ml?c=us&page=1

I'd like to hope that if its becoming a national story that it would be resolved peacefully. Time will tell
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
mepps1

I agree. Hot heads on either side will not be good or helpful.

It would be difficult to overestimate the local anger spread over the entire west in places where the federales own all the land and call the shots.

There will either be substantial reforms or open rebellion will spread. Reform appears unlikely.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
jackpine savage
Kill your food

I don't see the Feds giving up control if the land, however I don't see why a solution that allows these ranchers to graze on the land while also protecting the local flora and fauna can't be worked out. It's in the interest of the ranchers that the ecosystem be maintained in good health as it provides the pasture for their cattle, the enviro's and the Feds need to create a workable partnership with the ranchers. Unfortunately many of the environmentalist groups take an all or nothing approach. They see anyone who isn't for a strict closure of the land as adversary's. I'm all for protecting the environment but the mentality of the environmentalist groups makes me want to hit my head against a wall
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpine savage View Post
I don't see the Feds giving up control if the land, however I don't see why a solution that allows these ranchers to graze on the land while also protecting the local flora and fauna can't be worked out. It's in the interest of the ranchers that the ecosystem be maintained in good health as it provides the pasture for their cattle, the enviro's and the Feds need to create a workable partnership with the ranchers. Unfortunately many of the environmentalist groups take an all or nothing approach. They see anyone who isn't for a strict closure of the land as adversary's. I'm all for protecting the environment but the mentality of the environmentalist groups makes me want to hit my head against a wall
Indeed. The massive misapprehension of the enviros and people who believe them is one of the biggest problems. There can be no doubt that we need a stronger environmental ethic in many ways. But that ethic has got to be connected to the land itself and the people who live on the land. The environmentalist agenda as it stands is an abomination Aldo Leopold would be horrified to see.

It's not that locals would manage the land perfectly. But they are the ones who will experience the rewards and penalties first hand. So they have the most to gain or lose.

None of these areas were free of people or of large herbivores before the federal government evicted and exterminated the people and the grazers.

Same govermunt. Same far-sighted brilliance and compassionate concern.
mepps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

The grazers actually are what keeps fauna and flora. The land turns to desert otherwise. I posted a Ted Talk on this exact thing a while back.
Here it is. http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savor...climate_change

Last edited by Marcus; 04-11-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
Marcus

Stefan Molyneux ~ The Truth About the Nevada Ranchers Standoff

http://offgridsurvival.com/militia-o...nch-in-nevada/

Quote:
Whether this is about oil, or yet another attempt by the feds to limit State Rights isn’t really clear at this point. What is clear, is this is much larger than the Bundy family or their Cattle.

In the process of shutting down the land, the BLM has suspended Free Speech in the Area and has actually setup so-called free speech zones miles away from the ranch. That’s right, the federal government has actually banned free speech on over 600,000 acres of public land.
Dave Bundy, son of Bunkerville rancher Cliven Bundy, spoke to us about what the BLM is doing, and how he was beat down by federal officers for taking pictures outside of these “Free Speech Zones.”
While he was on the phone with 911 operators, he says the BLM officers then “attacked me like a wild pack of dogs, and started stomping and kicking me in the head.”...

That's some BS right there!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
Marcus

Harry Reid's Connection to Bundy Ranch Siege

http://www.futurnamics.com/reid_bundyranch.php

Quote:
- Neil Kornze, former Reid aid, is now a BLM Director and is well involved in the Bundy seige. Kornze was responsible for planning the allottment of 285,000 acres to dedicated Solar farm development (a pet Reid boondoggle). These Solar development zones are Tortoise and Bird kill zones - see BrightSource. So Reid knows damn well what is going on at the Bundy Ranch and could stop the BLM Gestapo cold.

- It turns out Brightsource is also a big Reid contributor. See how this works? Hundreds of thousands of acres set aside to kill Tortoises for Friends of Reid, nothing for the Bundys who have worked and preserved the land since 1870.

- Harry Reid killed more Tortoises in cahoots with Brightsource solar and jailed buddy Harvey Whittemore than Bundyranch.

- Reid helped Whittemore procure environmental waivers for the Coyote Springs golf and residential development. Reid was happy to let Brightsource cover 8,300 acres of tortoise land of the 42,000-acre Coyote Springs. These included powerline changes and most importantly, a land swap with BLM of Desert Tortoise land.

- Harvey Whittemore was convicted of giving Reid illegal campaign contributions to Reid and is due to start a two year sentence. Only the big boys who pay under the table get Reid's favors.

- Harry Reid 'owns' 200 acres in Searchlight, all old BLM mining deeds inherited from his miner dad, all filled with desert Tortoise. His claim to that land is likely dependent on BLM favouritism. Maybe he should be evicted. In 2007 Vegas land was $700k/acre. People thought Searchlight would be bedroom community. During RE boom, Reid thought his land worth $20 million. That's why the new four lane highway into Searchlight directly benefited Reid, for land he has no more right to than the Bundys.

- Someone should ask how many Tortoises were killed building four lane superhighway to Harry Reid's land in Searchlight. Reid has positioned himself to be a beneficiary of owning the land entering Searchlight as a future bedroom community...
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #25
Capt.Gene

Note to the Feds: Cows do not eat turtles. Pass this info up the chain of command.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #26
jackpine savage
Kill your food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Stefan Molyneux ~ The Truth About the Nevada Ranchers Standoff

http://youtu.be/GQb0qJLhea8

http://offgridsurvival.com/militia-o...nch-in-nevada/

That's some BS right there!
I read that due to criticism from the governor they have taken down the protest areas and people are allowed to demonstrate on the public lands so long as they don't physically interfere with the BLM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #27
OBLIGATED

These scumbags are out of control!If I remember right the First Amendment is to all citizens ANYWHERE in the USA!The Second Amendmendment assures us that right if tyrants try to take it!People need to video tape these thugs and put them on utube or whatever media the kids use these days so they cant destroy the evidence of their actions good or bad.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #28
jackpine savage
Kill your food

In the cnn link they talk about people videoing and posting on YouTube
Old 04-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #29
Marcus

BLOCKBUSTER: Straight from a rancher's mouth
http://www.jimstonefreelance.com/fro...hersmouth.html

Quote:
A Rancher TELLS ALL:

B Hunt wrote:

I live in SW Utah. I grew up on a ranch less than 100 miles from the Bundy's ranch. My father knows Cliven Bundy. I know Cliven's son Ryan. This is not a hoax, it is an action of force by the BLM.

The BLM was going to sell the cattle at one of the smallest cattle markets in Utah. No cattle markets in Nevada would take the cattle without a properly signed brand inspection (which the BLM cannot obtain without Cliven Bundy's signature). The BLM paid the owner of the Utah cattle market $300,000 to do the sale ('R' Livestock Connection in Monroe, Utah, owned by one Scott G. Robbins, according to the Utah Business Entity Search). Utah Governor Herbert stepped in and forbid them from bringing the cattle into Utah without the legally required health and brand inspections (which again, require Bundy's signature) and that no feral cattle are allowed to be imported at all (per Utah statute). Because Bundy claims ownership over maybe 350-500 head of branded cattle, the other 500-700 estimated head of cattle would all be considered feral. BLM officially backed off, but we suspect they are still secretly shipping them through Utah without any permission to do so, to "private" buyers in Colorado. The contract cowboys that the BLM hired to do the roundup are from Sampson Livestock in Meadow, Utah (traitors one and all).

From what I understand, Cliven Bundy owns both the Water Rights and Grazing Rights to all of the land where his cattle run. If Bundy failed to use them, the Grazing Rights would revert to the BLM and would be retired, while the Water Rights would revert to the State of Nevada, likely to be sold to the highest bidder (which would probably be a bidding war between mineral companies that are behind this action with the BLM and the City of Las Vegas which is thirsty for water and has had multiple attempts to buy water--through eminent domain from Utah farmers and ranchers--from Utah, which were all blocked by the Utah Legislature and Utah Governor Herbert). Chances are, the BLM has already filed a claim on the water rights so that they can sell to the highest bidder (instead of the state) and are trying to get the cattle off to show that Bundy cannot use the water beneficially (much like what the US Forest Service and BLM both tried to do to Wayne Hage).

Now, for Cliven Bundy, he's not fighting this for his cattle or his own livelihood. He recognizes that he will probably die before this fight is over. He has said multiple times that he is fighting this to wake people up about the tyranny of the Federal Government and also to help wake up the western states about getting the rights to their own land back from the federal government, which has repeatedly shut down ranchers and closed off land. (MO = 1st, get all the ranchers, farmers, Native Americans, and foresters that use the land for positive, sustainable production off of the land; 2nd, grab up all the resources; 3rd, close off the lands to public access including camping, hiking, horseback riding, hunting, fishing, boating, shooting, etc; 4th, sell off the resources to the highest bidder regardless of what that will do to the land, the local environment, or the economy; 5th, collect royalties on the resources in perpetuity; 6th, reduce and eliminate all SLS and PILT payments to the states, impoverishing them beyond belief.)...
F'ing sickening. The Fed gov't is just a corrupt mob. What they're doing to these ranchers/farmers is the same thing they're doing our fishing grounds.

BLM Caught Illegally Destroying 100 Yr Old Water Tanks
http://www.dailypaul.com/316582/blm-...ld-water-tanks
Old 04-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #30
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Does the rancher pay taxes on the land? I'm kind of lost on ownership here. Did the rancher ever own the land? Was it seized? Was there some sort of hybrid lease/owership through the years that allowed the rancher to graze cattle but not own the land? If he does not own it, how much would it cost to utilize it for grazing?

I'm assuming this is some sort of land or land use grab for environmental reasons. Happens all the time here with water management districts run by non-elected officials with lots of power to seize controll of what is called "aquifer recharge lands".